Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Sorry, I don’t follow.

You can find any number of sources that will explain it, but since you chose the Oxford, here is their definition of Semite:

A member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

Brittanica says “The term came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, Hebrews, some Ethiopians, and Aramaean tribes.”

So it is pretty silly saying that a Semitic person is anti-semitic.

If you want to say anti-Jewish, say that. But the correct term is probably anti-Zionist. But remember many Jewish people are anti-Zionist.

3 Likes

I think Anti-Semite is actually the correct term to use. The definition is specific to Jews, regardless of what Semite means.

1 Like

Lewis Carroll, 1873

1 Like

What is your evidence she is an anti-Semite?

Just like a new sentence doesn’t follow a comma. Like that turd you dropped in here.

2 Likes

She was having a go at the fact that Muslims committed an horrific crime but that it was just “some people did something” and since then Muslims have suffered. That was denigrating a serious issue to the extreme and a slap in the face of all Americans. It was disrespectful and disingenuous to say the least.

This woman has the ability to constantly put her foot in her mouth (deliberately imo) and all people seem to want to do is excuse her behaviour away. Even AOC isn’t as bad as Omar.

“those folks who committed this act,” said George W Bush

Is he downplaying it too?

“Folks” not people.

1 Like

In the age of Trump who cares. Wow a small slip of the tongue. It’s hardly comparable to Trump saying he didn’t like McCain because POW’s are losers, or “good people on both sides”. Trumps deliberately insensitive on a daily basis.

3 Likes

Seems to me they’re both young, intelligent women intent on shaking up a diseased establishment. That you and millions of others can get more worked up over an interpretation of a tweet moreso than the POTUS tweeting vision of the 911 event in order to incite violence and hatred against Omar is telling. “WE WILL NEVER FORGET”. I hope not.

Her tweet reads very much to me she’s had enough of being tarred with a terrorist brush because she’s brown and Muslim. Clumsy at worst.

2 Likes

I should do better research before posting, it was actually part of a speech she made, not a tweet. And IT you’re usually reasonable enough to see shades, please read this and even watch the speech, even if you don’t like the source.

And if y’all can’t stomach that, a nice bit of take out

The surreal part of this is the actions of a few don’t represent us all is the same argument that Republicans rely on every time far-right or white nationalists murder someone. Don’t lump us in with the Charlottesville white nationalist who killed a protester or the New Zealand far-right shooter, they say, but we’ll still gladly make sweeping judgements if the perpetrator behind an act of violence is brown.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about that “some people did something” quote. In context it means that an event caused by external people has had an ongoing unfair negative impact on American Muslims. Something occurred, they had no involvement in it, they had no link to the people that did it. It’s a fair and reasonable point. If anything the ongoing vilification of Muslims is more likely to cause future violence.

For that phrase to end up with this…

That there is blatant propaganda.

1 Like

How many people have died in the Middle East from the retaliation. Somewhere between a factor of 10 or 100.

2 Likes

The factor is over 100x more. That is just in Iraq, and not counting what has gone on in Afghanistan, nor after the instability that spread to Syria.

2 Likes

It’s not an either or, it;s a both. Trump is a douche and Omar is a douche, they both played with something they should not have to make a political point.

I am calling them both out and I said that about Trump earlier.

That headline is a the sort of disgrace that would make the Daily Tele say, ‘Oh, I say. Hold on there, chaps…’
And if what we’re angry about today is ‘someone did something’ then I’d suggest the problem is with those that are angry.

1 Like

Yeah, nah. Not even remotely close to each other.

1 Like

That there is blatant Murfoch.

2 Likes