Marijuana legalisation

"Which is why I think it should be legal. I understand it lays a burden on our mental health care system to an extent but I think that for every person who it harms, legalising it will prevent harm for 10 more"
Can you expand on this a little more please?

Well I see the burden on our mental health care system due to it "bringing out" schizophrenia (or related episodes) in people who might have otherwise gone through life without any issues (this is highly debatable). Or people with depression who sink even lower and/or commit suicide etc. I acknowledge that this is a serious burden.

Then I see the burden on our justice system etc and as I was saying I think by labeling pot smokers (cannabis users) as criminals I believe it does act as a gateway to mixing with people involved with other crimes and other drugs - which means people can end up in gaol/a life of crime and suffer mental illness (and/or physical injury) from that, plus once people are in 'the system' it can be hard for them to escape it.

I'm not sure if you an compare the effect on a family of one schizophrenic vs one criminal or drug addict.

I definitely found when I was in high school and uni that I was meeting and becoming acquainted with some of the dregs of society just because I had to if I wanted to buy weed. Sitting in a bikies loungeroom for an hour making idle chit chat (so it didn't look like people were just coming and going) would be completely unnecessary if I was able to grow it myself or buy it from a chemist or tobacconist.

Aside from the weed I was a reasonably smart kid and wasn't looking for an easy way to make money but I was often offered the opportunity to sell weed and other drugs, or to buy stolen gear (or gear people had given to a dealer to pay a debt etc) or just to buy harder drugs. I think my experiences would be pretty common too, most of the smokers I know would agree they've mixed with dodgy people just to get weed.

So while I don't believe weed is great for mental health I think that making it illegal CAN turn people towards crime and serious drug addiction and this is already a huge burden on society.

There are Marijuana strains that actually help people deal with schizophrenia (Marijuana with low THC and high CBD are great for treating health conditions, while those with the opposite amount of THC to CBD get your more high. However Marijuana that is high in THC is great to help cancer patients deal with Chemo. Marijuana is bad for mental health if you smoke all the time and if you start at a young age, but legalization will make it harder for kids to get it. People say well parents will buy it for their kids, the question then because when do you put onus on the parents to be good parents.

You are spot on that Marijuana is a gateway drug in the way that you have to get Marijuana by entering into the black market meaning more exposure to harder drugs. Also when someone is told Marijuana is as bad as Cocaine etc, when a young person uses it and realizes they were lied to the logical conclusion is society has lied about the other hard drugs.

I agree completely.

To add to your last point, young people try pot and eventually think "Hey, how come I didn't end up in the gutter with a massive come down? I had a really deep conversation, laughed my ■■■■ off, plus Mario Kart is AWESOME", so then they might think "what drug is next?".

One main issue with it being illegal is that you can' just pick what kind of strain or THC content you want, you just get what you're given in most cases.

Most young people smoke too much (as a dosage anyway) to enjoy it, which is largely to do with not being able to OD on it but also havnig no standard unit for usage, like beer/wine have a 'standard drink' and a percentage on the bottle. Oh, and also because weed is scarce, and however smokes the fastest gets the most, or they feel like they have to finish it all etc.

"Which is why I think it should be legal. I understand it lays a burden on our mental health care system to an extent but I think that for every person who it harms, legalising it will prevent harm for 10 more"
Can you expand on this a little more please?

Well I see the burden on our mental health care system due to it "bringing out" schizophrenia (or related episodes) in people who might have otherwise gone through life without any issues (this is highly debatable). Or people with depression who sink even lower and/or commit suicide etc. I acknowledge that this is a serious burden.

Then I see the burden on our justice system etc and as I was saying I think by labeling pot smokers (cannabis users) as criminals I believe it does act as a gateway to mixing with people involved with other crimes and other drugs - which means people can end up in gaol/a life of crime and suffer mental illness (and/or physical injury) from that, plus once people are in 'the system' it can be hard for them to escape it.

I'm not sure if you an compare the effect on a family of one schizophrenic vs one criminal or drug addict.

I definitely found when I was in high school and uni that I was meeting and becoming acquainted with some of the dregs of society just because I had to if I wanted to buy weed. Sitting in a bikies loungeroom for an hour making idle chit chat (so it didn't look like people were just coming and going) would be completely unnecessary if I was able to grow it myself or buy it from a chemist or tobacconist.

Aside from the weed I was a reasonably smart kid and wasn't looking for an easy way to make money but I was often offered the opportunity to sell weed and other drugs, or to buy stolen gear (or gear people had given to a dealer to pay a debt etc) or just to buy harder drugs. I think my experiences would be pretty common too, most of the smokers I know would agree they've mixed with dodgy people just to get weed.

So while I don't believe weed is great for mental health I think that making it illegal CAN turn people towards crime and serious drug addiction and this is already a huge burden on society.

There are Marijuana strains that actually help people deal with schizophrenia (Marijuana with low THC and high CBD are great for treating health conditions, while those with the opposite amount of THC to CBD get your more high. However Marijuana that is high in THC is great to help cancer patients deal with Chemo. Marijuana is bad for mental health if you smoke all the time and if you start at a young age, but legalization will make it harder for kids to get it. People say well parents will buy it for their kids, the question then because when do you put onus on the parents to be good parents.

You are spot on that Marijuana is a gateway drug in the way that you have to get Marijuana by entering into the black market meaning more exposure to harder drugs. Also when someone is told Marijuana is as bad as Cocaine etc, when a young person uses it and realizes they were lied to the logical conclusion is society has lied about the other hard drugs.

I agree completely.

To add to your last point, young people try pot and eventually think "Hey, how come I didn't end up in the gutter with a massive come down? I had a really deep conversation, laughed my ■■■■ off, plus Mario Kart is AWESOME", so then they might think "what drug is next?".

One main issue with it being illegal is that you can' just pick what kind of strain or THC content you want, you just get what you're given in most cases.

Most young people smoke too much (as a dosage anyway) to enjoy it, which is largely to do with not being able to OD on it but also havnig no standard unit for usage, like beer/wine have a 'standard drink' and a percentage on the bottle. Oh, and also because weed is scarce, and however smokes the fastest gets the most, or they feel like they have to finish it all etc.

Yup. By making it legal for those over 21, then using those funds to educate kids in school as to why they shouldn't use Marijuana at a young age (It is a psychedelic and a young persons mind is still developing) then it just comes down to parents being good parents and it should be fine.

Not being able to control the type of strain is a major pain in the ■■■. Sometimes I want to have a hit and get to sleep easier but I have a strain that makes me mind keep ticking, giving me energy. So I end up staying awake all night watching documentaries lol.

America spends more money going after Marijuana than any other drug combined yet now have a prescription med epidemic. If someone wants to get high, they will get high.

BREAKING: D.C. Council Votes Overwhelmingly to Decriminalize Marijuana By: Jon Walker Tuesday February 4, 2014 

Possession of small amounts of marijuana should soon be decriminalized in the nation‘s capital.

The D.C. City Council voted overwhelmingly for theMarijuana Possession Decriminalization Amendment Act of 2014. Only a single member of the council voted against it.

The bill would make possession of up to an ounce of marijuana only a civil infraction punishable with just a $25 fine. Currently in the District of Columbia possession of marijuana can result in up to six months in prison and a fine of up to $1,000.

Reports showing the massive racial disparity in marijuana arrests within the District played a big role in  encouraging the council to take action.

The bill will need to be voted on again by the Council after its second reading next month. Some amendments will potentially be offered at that time. Once finally approved at the local level the issue then moves to the US Congress which has 60 days to take action.

Because of the incredibly unfair, anti-democratic rules governing D.C. the US Congress has to power to override any laws approved by the local government despite the citizens of D.C. not even being allowed to vote for their own members of Congress. In the past Congress blocked D.C. medical marijuana laws for over a decade.

Hopefully, this time Congress will simply choose to do nothing for 60 days and allow decriminalization to go into effect. Recent statements by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) make it unlikely he would allow the Senate to actively meddle in this local issue.

http://justsaynow.firedoglake.com/2014/02/04/breaking-d-c-council-votes-overwhelmingly-to-decriminalize-marijuana/

Quotes from Harry Anslinger, one of the main people behind western countries making Marijuana illegal.
"most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from Marijuana use. This Marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."
"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men"

http://youtu.be/fC-bAI7q4G8

Deputy Drug Czar (USA) gets owned today. This is just a small portion of the 105 minutes.

Seattle now has home delivery service: http://winterlifecoop.com/

Full blown pot shops open to public (over 21) due to open in June.

Seattle now has home delivery service: http://winterlifecoop.com/

Full blown pot shops open to public (over 21) due to open in June.

They have a service like that in Colorado.

Speaking of Colorado and legal Marijuana, the estimates for how much tax revenue will be generated in this fiscal year...$610mill.

Pretty sad really, home delivery dope? I’m hoping it’s just for medical reasons.

Pretty sad really, home delivery dope? I'm hoping it's just for medical reasons.

Well you can get home delivered, pizza, beer and cigarettes. The service isn't really legal, but it's not being cracked down on.

The delivery service is only there cause there are no public shops yet, so you have a legal product and no where to buy it unless you need for medical reasons as only medical shops are open.  When the public shops open in June the delivery service will stop.

Pretty sad really, home delivery dope? I'm hoping it's just for medical reasons.

Well you can get home delivered, pizza, beer and cigarettes. The service isn't really legal, but it's not being cracked down on.

The delivery service is only there cause there are no public shops yet, so you have a legal product and no where to buy it unless you need for medical reasons as only medical shops are open.  When the public shops open in June the delivery service will stop.

depends if its "there in 15 minutes or its free" versus "same day dispatch"

i dont smoke dope, but i reckon this type of thing would make me, just because. and i dont think thats a good thing.

It’s pretty common to get it delivered now, here, while its illegal.

Home delivery of legal pot is, in my view, the greatest idea in the history of mankind.

It's pretty common to get it delivered now, here, while its illegal.
Home delivery of legal pot is, in my view, the greatest idea in the history of mankind.

but is it like pizza delivery? from a place round the corner, and you just have to wait less than an hour. 

or is it delivered sometime between 8am-8pm and you need to be home to sign for it?

but is it like pizza delivery? from a place round the corner, and you just have to wait less than an hour.
or is it delivered sometime between 8am-8pm and you need to be home to sign for it?

Hmm, valid question.
It would have to be pizza style delivery for it to work.

Hmm, valid question.
It would have to be pizza style delivery for it to work.

Surely Dominos can just combine the two...

i dont smoke dope, but i reckon this type of thing would make me, just because. and i dont think thats a good thing.

Seriously. That's pathetic. Sorry, but it is. The problem there is neither the drug, nor the home delivery; it's you.

I can get home delivered alcohol - buy I don't. ■■■■ me, I can get home delivered, ice, heroin, almost whatever I like, but I don't.

The delivery service is only there cause there are no public shops yet, so you have a legal product and no where to buy it unless you need for medical reasons as only medical shops are open. When the public shops open in June the delivery service will stop.
Seriously. That's pathetic. Sorry, but it is. The problem there is neither the drug, nor the home delivery; it's you.
I can get home delivered alcohol - buy I don't. fark me, I can get home delivered, ice, heroin, almost whatever I like, but I don't.

Do you get home delivered pizza?

The delivery service is only there cause there are no public shops yet, so you have a legal product and no where to buy it unless you need for medical reasons as only medical shops are open. When the public shops open in June the delivery service will stop.
I can get home delivered alcohol - buy I don't. fark me, I can get home delivered, ice, heroin, almost whatever I like, but I don't.

Nope.

But that's irrelevant anyway. What's relevant is that you would start taking a drug you otherwise wouldn't, just because you can have it home delivered. I find that just astounding.

Nope.
But that's irrelevant anyway. What's relevant is that you would start taking a drug you otherwise wouldn't, just because you can have it home delivered. I find that just astounding.

Perhaps lazy is a better word for it. Not saying if do it 24/7, but I'd be more inclined to see it as a socially acceptable drug if it was decriminalised and was available for home delivery.

Nope.

Perhaps lazy is a better word for it. Not saying if do it 24/7, but I'd be more inclined to see it as a socially acceptable drug if it was decriminalised and was available for home delivery.

Um .... if something is decriminalised, I think its fair to assume it's socially acceptable. And to tell you the truth, from what I see, even though it is illegal here, it is reasonably social accepted anyway. I would have more friends that don't consume it than do, but none have a problem with me doing it. FFS, my 72 year old neighbour doesn't care. I have had police apologise for taking my plants. I have had a magistrate tell me he wished he could give me a license for it. I have had neurologists and oncologists turn a blind eye to it and say they can't legally say do it, but they won't stop me.

And for those who do care, I would suggest they do some non Current Affair level research.

Nope.

I'd probably be unlikely to go out to go see a fatogram or gorilla-gram, is that just me?