Marlion Pickett

Shirley you are not serious

2 Likes

Really would you blame the board.

Our clubs reputation is the most tainted of any professional club in sport, we are the absolute last club who can afford to bring someone in who could go off the rails and bring negative headlines on to the club.

That’s my opinion anyway.

Pickett would not have played a game at AFL level yet if he was at Essendon, and people here would be calling for Dodoro’s head because of that. It works both ways.

4 Likes

I find it very hard to believe he was overruled.
What is the source?

Willie Dck and Begbie earlier in this thread.

We all make judgements on the validity of the sources. In my opinion these sources can’t be dismissed. Doesn’t mean they are necessarily correct, but they have to be taken seriously.

1 Like

Settle petal gee

How do people know about the situation with Pickett and interference pre draft? Incredible if true

I think the Board’s focus was more on the financial side of things rather than the footy department.
Some of the board are part of the problem not part of the solution.

Frustration and learning to manage it, is part of the supporter’s lot. Sadly there will be no quick fixes to Essendon’s problems only sweet talk.

Am I the only one that hat couldn’t care less about Pickett?
I’m happy with Snelling.
Good on him & Richmond for his over hyped first game, however I’m also standing by and expect a fall from grace.

12 Likes

No wonder Dodoro didnt show on the ‘stage’ during the televised announcement of Snelling. Probably too angry at not being able to say Pickett.

The coach shouldnt be able to overrule, let alone the board.

1 Like

Guaranteed

1 Like

Seething

1 Like

EFC have a very good Board of Directors.

Cannot accept they have any role in operational matters though, and clearly picking recruits is a Footy dept issue.

Not sure people are upset about that, but more the fact the board overruled who we can select. I think it’s pretty pathetic that the board, who collective would have little experience in list management are able to overrule the list manager.

3 Likes

We were informed by certain ‘in the know’ posters here a couple of years ago that EFC had (rightfuly in their opinion) decided on a “risk free recruitment policy because, you know, The Saga and… the club was in such a terrible financial position they couldn’t possibly take on players from remote areas because they cost more to support and manage” or words to that effect… That must have come fom the board.
It disturbed me at the time… to be still going on is an outright disgrace.

4 Likes

Lot of angst in here on the issue but whilst Pickett showed he can look good at AFL level (in a gun team) if you were to look at factors against like club would have you’d have perhaps considered

• off field history. Albeit was a long time ago. Negative PR risk club might be averse to.
  • injury that would have meant out for most of season
  • age (not fitting the general demographic we going for with list build)
  • flight risk. Having just seen Kelly & Cats situation. Family with long and established ties to WA, friendship network etc.

Also should be factoring in that we were going to pick a ruck with our 1st selection anyway, Knoll who Sydney swiped, then Pickett would have been gone by our 2nd.

Snelling will prove to be a very good selection for us and best 22 IMO who will also play at a very high level (already shown can be in our best players on game day). And given his age will play for a lot longer for us also.

4 Likes

I don’t think the point here is about not getting Pickett per say, it’s more about the suggestion that the board over ruled a recruitment decision.

8 Likes

I know we have lots of threads on this, but it appears we may need at least two :joy:

2 Likes

If you combine multiple threads don’t you end up with a yarn?

5 Likes