Match review. Dreamtime

“This will be a good experience for some of these inexperienced young Essendon players, they haven’t had a lot of experience or experience on this big stage” - Luke Darcy, Essendon Vs Richmond Round 10, 2016.

Most frustrating game this year for mine. Our effort and tackling pressure were great, but horrible skill errors killed our chances.

This so much.
A lot of the skill errors are just basics that shouldn’t be made at this level.
So disheartening to do a heap of good work only to fark up a basic handball or a 20m kick. What’s worse is that it is the senior players letting us down the most

I agree skill errors killed us, I am wondering if fatigue is increasing errors, given the senior players we do have are trying to go up a notch to keep us competitive in a new environment of capped interchange rotations. Even Kelly served up a couple of shockers.

Fatigue could yet become a real factor in June with 2 Perth trips, as well as GWS and the Hawks. I think we should consider resting/managing 5 to 10 players against Freo next week and watch them struggle to lose. Could be their most important loss all year.

A real positive is that we might have found a role for Ambrose. Amazingly he is even taking marks over head down back. I thought he was cooked at the start of the season but there is something to work with now.

Based On that game I can confirm Richmond will finish 9th this year.

"This will be a good experience for some of these inexperienced young Essendon players, they haven't had a lot of experience or experience on this big stage" - Luke Darcy, Essendon Vs Richmond Round 10, 2016.
For realz? :/

Was the Baguley deliberate call as bad as it looked from where I was sitting?

Great to see us win the clearance’s.
First time for a long time.
Except for the turnovers, they tried hard enough to win it.

Nothing I wasn’t expecting. Except for Hartley doing a hammy which has upset me. Hopefully it’s not too bad but he seemed to limping pretty heavily after the game.

Zerrett was frustrating but I think that’s a result of trying to carry the midfield for 10 weeks straight at 20 years old with next to no support.

Parish is a gun.
Raz is a gun.
WALLA is a gun.

Crowley can take a seat. Appreciate stepping up but I’d rather see what some potential future stars could do.

An odd game. Up until the last quarter, I’d have said Richmond was the clearly better side, although a lot of that was a part of the third quarter and due to how many stuff ups we made. Which was a lot. Hartley, Ambrose, Gwilt were all being beaten by their guys to half time, Martin was dominant, and apart from Zaha we didn’t really seem to have anyone on top in the middle. A lot of the guys who got a lot of possessions (Goddard, Zerrett, Parish, Kelly) also seemed to make more than their normal percentage of stuff ups - quite a few major turn overs.

Yet, for the first half the gap wasn’t huge. Richmond just couldn’t capitalise on the gap in skills. They then turned it on in Q3, before going to sleep in Q4. If we’d kicked straight in Q4 we might even have snatched it.

We didn’t really have too many four quarter players. Zaha was a stand out, Cooney was consistent, Brown and Fantasia did well given the opportunities forward, Dempsey and Dea did some good things. The tall defenders tightened up after half time, especially given they were dealing with Hartley injured. Edwards, Langford, Walla, did a few good things but not really enough. Oh, and the umpires were rubbish in the first half as well.

Still, I always give us a 60 point handicap, so on that basis we won. Hartley getting injured is the real tragedy from the match.

Richmond didn't win, Essendon lost. Sloppy ball use and dumb decisions cost the game. I will never understand why when within range do guys pass to someone in a worse position. The more you overuse the ball the more chance of stuffing it up.

Richmond made plenty of mistakes. We were not good enough to punish them. They still won the game.

"This will be a good experience for some of these inexperienced young Essendon players, they haven't had a lot of experience or experience on this big stage" - Luke Darcy, Essendon Vs Richmond Round 10, 2016.

Please no…please.

best part of the night was getting 2 free boxes of shapes when i left the ground

Some of the older players are done and whatever but from the younger ones I don’t see any future or reasoning in persisting with Gleeson. Unless they play him on the bench and leave him there.

Parish, Fanta and Zaka were great. Zerret had an off one while Goddard was good and bad. Loved seeing Jamar. Lot of good signs.

And ■■■■ the umpires were bad. Highlighted by that deliberate oob against Baggers in the last.

goddard…um…yeah

And I love Walla.

I like our team of battlers they have a fighting never-say-die attitude and they deserve more success looking forward to 2017
Sums up what I was going to post. So many young blokes putting in huge efforts, Have won one game this season and I'm still looking forward to every match.
Most frustrating game this year for mine. Our effort and tackling pressure were great, but horrible skill errors killed our chances.

This so much.
A lot of the skill errors are just basics that shouldn’t be made at this level.
So disheartening to do a heap of good work only to fark up a basic handball or a 20m kick. What’s worse is that it is the senior players letting us down the most

Nope. Zerret, Parish, Edwards, Gleeson, Dea, Brown, Raz, even Tippa made basic errors that resulted in turnovers.

Just got home. We had a dip. Parish and Tippa fantastic. Joe tried hard. Even Ambrose had a good game on Riewoldt.

We honestly would have won it if it wasn’t for absolutely horrendous turnovers costing goals. And on that, what the hell had happened to Goddard’s kicking? Absolutely awful.

Also it was cold. Really cold.

Goddard the new Stanton?

Richmond are sh*t.

We did ok, effort was there, we ran the game out right to the end… But gee the turnovers are frustrating. It’s one thing when a team just out plays you, but when your best players just keep making silly mistakes, it kills you.

Thoughts:

• Ambrose is a legit key defender. He still lacks a bit of defensive awareness, but his contested work and spoiling is top notch.
  • ORAZIO is a gun. I like him forward.
  • We’ve rotated Kommer, Crowley, Polk and Crowley again through that ‘Big bodied defensive forward who doesn’t tackle or be defensive’ role, and I’m just not convinced it’s necessary.
  • Zaharakis was great again.
  • Tippa and Parish make the season worth it.
  • Jamar was ok, all things considered.
  • Gwilt is having a rough couple of weeks.
  • Joe was good, but he could have been better. Rance was playing off him when he was deep, which is when Joe’s height and leap can be destructive.
  • There is a lot of Andrew Welsh about Craig Bird. Does all the contested stuff right… Can’t hit a target longer than 20m away.
  • Goddard’s skills are fading, but you can’t question his effort. Still busting his ■■■ off.

Meh, we’ve had worse. These are the good weeks.