Match review. Dreamtime

I get that we don't like turnovers, but plenty of them come from playing on at all costs, and switching into the corridor. It's high risk high reward footy. And you gotta realise the opposition are looking for this option to pick us off too.
We've won 1 game, with a compromised list filled with kids and top ups. the "high risk, high reward" crap you could cop if we were legit trying to win a flag. When you've got guys like Kelly trying to handball through a players legs while he's on the ground half being tackled after he's just marked the ball, that's just dumb football.

In our situation we shouldn’t be playing High risk football because we don’t have the gameplan or players to pull it off.

There’s a vast difference between high risk and just dumb football. ATM there’s just way too much dumb football going on.

The high risk isn’t working so it should be reined in a bit, esp considering playing on at all costs doesn’t really work with a dysfunctional forwardline that’s always out of place and or running backwards.

Would it kill bj to take an easy first release option once in a while. Spends far too much time looking for the million dollar option and really slows us down. Needs to move it on far far quicker. Very frustrating.

Skills and decision making in general across half back were pretty poor tonight, really robbed ourselves of any chance our endeavor created for us.

New team rule: if tippa runs by you looking for the give you farken give it. God strike me.

Why Edwards languished deep forward for most of the second half is beyond me but was predictable.

Please please please please let Fanta off the leash.

Langford had the head lights in his eyes again tonight but still managed a few very good moments.

Ambrose deserves some kudos for his last couple of weeks.

All in all a frustrating but encouraging performance

Parish

They are clearly under instuction to try and hit a target in the corridor rarher than play safe to a guy sideways or backwards.

I take heart that our periods of momentum looked really promising.

Im condident wed crap on Richmond next year.

Based On that game I can confirm Richmond will finish 9th this year.

They might as well cause they have no hope of winning a final.

All I can say is we will smash teams next year with the 12 coming back and the few kids we found this year .

I know this is the match review thread, but I just want to have a lengthy rant about this ridiculous Saturday night commentary team.

Brian Taylor - An idiot. Rarely calls the game, simply rabbits on relentlessly about everything that enters his small mind other than what is happening right in front of him on the ground. Football is a side note for him, I think he finds the games boring/uninteresting and he genuinely believes he is a funny guy so he aims for what he would consider to be the hysterical one liner or the old rhyming slang. I can’t stand listening to his stupidity and he makes me hate watching football.

Luke Darcy - As thick as two bricks and twice as thick. He spends the entire night looking to bounce his level and version of humour off his hilarious mate Brian. Every now and then will mention something that is happening on the field, usually only talks about the flavour of the month player in Cyril, RANCE, Franklin or Cyril and I think every Saturday night wouldn’t know the names of all of the players out on the field. Usually aims for making an ‘insightful’ comment but generally comes off as sounding stupid (example I’ve posted earlier in this thread). Makes me want to mute my TV then punch myself in the groin until the pain down below makes me forget all about how much I hate football commentary.

Matthew ‘Richo’ Richardson - The low IQ, comic relief, Blokey ex footy player who clearly knows someone in the right place to continue in his employ. Comments range from the flat out stupid, something like “It’s a cold night, pretty cold in winter in Melbourne it can get so tonight is no exception” to the flat out ridiculously stupid, something like “They’re down by 48 with only two minutes to go, they need the next goal here”. It’s like he was one day dared by a mate to show up at the MCG on a game day and try to convince someone to give him a microphone and media pass so he could get on TV, and now he’s so far into the ruse that he’s too scared to back out, so he just commentates accordingly.

Cameron Ling - The proverbial good bloke every man, never in the history of sports commentary has any one man made the absolute blindingly obvious, seem so damned blindingly obvious. I think if he was at home and saw a picture of a cat on the TV, he would just say the word “CAT” out loud. Wouldn’t matter if any one was there to see it or hear it, he just wouldn’t be able to help himself. If the picture of the cat was on TV for longer than 5-6 seconds, he would find himself saying “CAT” out loud again. Specialty Sideline comments have never been so drab, monotoned and boring.

JUST
COMMENTATE
THE
DAMNED
GAME.

I really like Langford but sometimes he needs to take the first option.

Out turnovers are killing us every week but especially today. We turn it over when we have total control of the ball and then due to a skill error we lose it and they stream away and kick a goal,12 point turnovers aaaargh!

Cant fault the effort but the skill errors must be soul destroying

That was frustrating as all hell.

Hartley has slowed down a bit. Few times he was beaten by good service but he was down big time.
BJ… fk me.

Jeez it was just hard to watch.

I’m pleased that we got beaten by a decent margin so we can’t blame the umpires. That was one of the worst adjudicated games I can ever remember.

Yeah they definitely deserved to win (mostly due to our terrible skills) but geez the umpiring was terrible.

I would like to see how Ants and his deluded mates responds to this and how they could yet again defend the maggots’ decisions.

Focussing on some of the positives and accepting that the negatives are inevitable makes the games more enjoyable. Some great pieces of play that resulted in goals including Joe’s long one, the goal to Crowley and the give from raz to parish make going to the games rewarding.
Yeah the turnovess do my head in but if you focus on what is working, there’s lots there to work with and you don’t leave the ground with two slashed wrists.
And you all better get over the gwilt hate, coz for the next few weeks he’s all we got left.
12 to go.

It was much better seeing them go forward with the ball rather than like last week kicking backwards.

Would it kill bj to take an easy first release option once in a while. Spends far too much time looking for the million dollar option and really slows us down. Needs to move it on far far quicker. Very frustrating.

Skills and decision making in general across half back were pretty poor tonight, really robbed ourselves of any chance our endeavor created for us.

New team rule: if tippa runs by you looking for the give you farken give it. God strike me.

Why Edwards languished deep forward for most of the second half is beyond me but was predictable.

Please please please please let Fanta off the leash.

Langford had the head lights in his eyes again tonight but still managed a few very good moments.

Ambrose deserves some kudos for his last couple of weeks.

All in all a frustrating but encouraging performance

Parish

Goddard still hasn’t realized that he has lost 10 metres of kicking depth. Kicks that used to come off because they were bullet fast now get picked off. Can’t fault his endeavor though, he was still running at the end of the game to create options

I dont think Kelly realised the mark had been paid DKP, i thought it had been touched.

Man we make scoring look hard, yet somehow gift the opposition a few easy goals.

Effort was there and we put in a four quarter performance. That is all I ask, good game well played.

A lot of this forum were raving about the fact we signed Crowely as a top up.
I remember saying at the time, he is a very average footballer. But he is an exceptional Tagger. We need to use him to his strengths. It’s not like Zerrett and Zaka arnt getting tagged every week. Time to give it back to the opposition.

@“Rocky IV”

BT is an annoying moron.

Luke Darcy should not be let anywhere near a boys club style of commentary team like this one.
Hosting a program in studio is his go.

I don’t mind Richo, but man, does he produce some stupid stuff at times.
e.g.letting the opposition side kick a goal, so that you can restore the ball to the centre square, is one of my personal favourites.

Lingy has a great head for radio, sorry but it’s true !

The only one I can stand looking at in the pre show, is Sam Lane.
Yer bite me, I think she’s attractive !

I really like Langford but sometimes he needs to take the first option.

He seems much more decisive when he knows hoofing for goal is his fallback option, dilly dallies too much once he gets 60+ metres from goal.

@"Rocky IV"

BT is an annoying moron.

Luke Darcy should not be let anywhere near a boys club style of commentary team like this one.
Hosting a program in studio is his go.

I don’t mind Richo, but man, does he produce some stupid stuff at times.
e.g.letting the opposition side kick a goal, so that you can restore the ball to the centre square, is one of my personal favourites.

Lingy has a great head for radio, sorry but it’s true !

The only one I can stand looking at in the pre show, is Sam Lane.
Yer bite me, I think she’s attractive !

WTF

YT is correct. And I think most of Blitz is in agreement in fairness. WTF is the point of playing Crowley and using him like we do. Just what’s the point?

Jackson for Crowley is the most obvious change of all fkg time. At least Jackson is going to be here next year and by most reports had a steamer in the 2s.

I feel for Gwilt. He was never supposed to be playing the role he is playing, which is our 2nd most important stopper. This year was perfect, he was going to keep Francis’ spot warm and make way as soon as he was ready. He’s getting big tasks each week and TBH in a lot of ways he’s floundering. I do wonder why we keep using him as the designated kicker…

Tonight was also the first night I’ve understood the Gleeson doubt. Has he lost all his slipperiness from early in his career?