Match review. Hawks victim 1

Well, I’m off to the airport to head home, it’s been a great trip. That was one hell of a win. I’m gonna get home, get a pizza, and watch the replay.

Thanks to all the blitzers I met. Your good people, hope to see you all again and meet some more.

See ya’s back here in 26 days

19 Likes
43 Likes

Wow. Converted.

You wonder how many West Adelaide types are also Essendon fans. Certainly the case with Aaron Francis who grew up in the Riverland, a West Adelaide zone.

Once you’ve had Red & Black, …

4 Likes

The best thing is that we can only get better. The returning players … Hooker, Hurley, Heppell etc… will only get better with a few games under their belt, Parish, Zerrey, Langford will continue to improve and the whole team can only get better as they learn to gel.

Should be a finely tuned unit by the time Anzac Day rolls around- good times.

1 Like

Until Mayne slots his sixth and Wells collects the medal

8 Likes

And how much the WB screwed Cooney on his knee, making him pay for some of his own medical costs.

Boo!

3 Likes

yeah but they will be in the VFL, Wells firstgame back from injury.
And Mayne will be desperate for a recall to the seniors

Not getting too far ahead but can’t wait for Fark Carlton. Taking the little miss HMG to continue her education in what it’s like against THE enemy. Think I may have picked a good time for that.

1 Like

Andrew Underwood another possibility.

1 Like

Saw her on Saturday night at the game decked out in red and black. Not surprising after following her Twitter but to see the red and black on her in the flesh was weird. After 12 years at the Dogs i wasn’t expecting such staunch post career support.

2 Likes

maybe she supported us before she met Adam?

2 Likes

Flew down with my 11 year old son from Brisbane to be a part of the march and the game, and what an experience it was.

Never felt an atmosphere like it before…

The roar of the crowd and the image of all those scarves being waved, as the boys came out on the field, is something that anybody who was there, will never forget.

And then, the match itself, was such an amazing rollercoaster of emotion.

The raw energy and passion, of the first quarter as the boys dominated was something out of this world.

Then the growing stress and anxiety of the second quarter (and into the third), praying for the boys to hold firm.

And of course the unbridled excitement as we charged over the top of them from the middle of the third quarter was something to behold.

The only thing that remained constant throughout the game was the genuine outpouring of love, appreciation and goodwill for the boys, and all they (and their families) have had to endure. It was so wonderful and emotional to see them rewarded with such a great win.

And what a night for my son, who has been a Club Member for all of his 11 years, and whose heart has always with Essendon, but whose resilience and belief in the club (and more specifically AFL as a competition / sport) had understandably been tested over the past few years.

He was completely blown away by the whole occasion, cheered like crazy, waved his scarf and (faith restored) is officially 100% back on board.

Was a proud dad watching him so proudly wearing his Essendon gear on the plane back home on Sunday morning!

70 Likes

What a club!!! Love seeing posts like this.

6 Likes

Listening to the presser, I think that is an unfair characterisation. He obviously thought we played well, while there were things his side could have done to make it closer. I actually thought his analysis of the game was pretty insightful. [quote=“stander2, post:574, topic:10082, full:true”]
Was he having an underhanded crack at us being able to have 2 early draft picks by mentioning Francis?
[/quote]
I’m pretty sure that was a compliment.

1 Like

Haven’t commented on the thread yet. Sunday/Monday were absolutely crazy for a number of reasons (including because I rewatched the game on getting home Saturday night! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). The atmosphere was brilliant, the game was so much fun. Nothing like being uncertain of a win to make it all the sweeter. I have been saying I don’t rate Hawthorn this year, so that does take a little gloss off, but beating a team who has been so successful recently is great (I don’t actually feel much of a rivalry for the Hawks, 83=>85 was before I got into Aussie rules. Carlton, Collingwood and the Eagles are the big three for me, with North #4).

So, positives and negatives from the game.

• I thought many of the returning players were rusty, at least to begin with. This is actually upside since if they get better, watch out. Hooker will never play a worse game and still get 3 goals. But the great thing about him is that he is never out-marked, even on a down night. Feel vindicated already for saying he should be forward. Watson and Stanton chipped in but I thought weren’t at their normal standard, which hopefully they’ll get back to. Same with Hurley. Heppell I thought was crap in the first quarter with his decision making, but just got better and better. Pushing him forward was a master stroke. Colyer was brilliant with it, but will hopefully get more of it in the future. Overall I think there is still a lot of improvement here.
  • McKernan was surprisingly effective. I would love to be wrong on this bloke, but I’ll admit I’m not holding my breath. Has to cut out some of the stupid free kicks.
  • Gleeson and Bags (early) were pretty poor. I’m very worried that Cyril was giving Bags a bath until he got the corkie. Will be watching him with concern. Gleeson also had a poor night.
  • McGrath was fantastic. Shut down his player, but unlike the JLT also impacted the rebound.
  • Ambrose and Hartley just kept on from 2016. Killed their men, were solid with the ball in hand. Great job guys.
  • Kelly was great, as was Goddard and Parish. Zerret is a class above.
  • Oh what fun the forwardline will be this year!
  • Zaha had some problems, and Langford will have better nights.
  • Q2 was a little concerning, especially gifting them goals from turn-overs. Coming into the centre is good, but leave it for the good decision makers like Zerret and Jobe to do so.

As I said, I don’t rate Hawthorn (2017 version), but I also think we have a lot of improvement in the side. Ruck would still be my concern if Smack can’t continue his current run. But if he can, good on him.

4 Likes

Thought he was from Sturt.

Not the same thing anyway.

Not yet, but similar electricity. Similarities are there - lightning closing speed, x factor up the wazoo, relentless, Cyril bit quicker re second third efforts.
Wow, we have depth! Woopie! Can actually leave Joey off ground to try stuff out.

Loved game - Hawks made lots of unusual mistakes so result was bit flattering, but the way we fought back, lots due to TIppa, Zac and Orazio creating chances.
Not making any assumptions re Lions game, hope we thrash them but they had good confidence building win too.