Match Review VS Dwarf Burners

i thought a guilt edge was something you do when you have a lot of spare time and no girlfriend.

Really enjoyed the game. Disappointed we lost, but still happy. Weird, but the season we have.

I think a few here are being harsh on Cooney. Played a pretty good game and was often running to give an option.

How good was that daniher pass to brown. Check side on the boundary pass brown marks then misses.
There were a number of absolutely wonderful plays yesterday that really deserved to be finished off with a goal. And then we stuffed up the last kick. It was really frustrating.
Have only seen the first half but Connor didn't get near it off half back. Did he not have the same licence to attack and link up, did he simply not run to the right spots, or was he not used?

He just looks lost out there. Just don’t see what he offers us at league level yet. Needs to spend the rest of the year in the VFL and learn the game more.

I thought at the ground he got some decisive and well used touches in the first half, but probably gave his man a bit too much space and missed tackles a bit. When he went forward in the second half he disappeared.
Finally getting to watch the game properly. We were worth a 3 to 5 goal lead in the first 15 minutes.
  • JD oof, an admittedly tough opportunity
  • JD guilt edged set shot straight in front 45 out
  • blatant high contact in marking contest to JD a the top of the square ignored
  • brown front on contact in the marking contest ignored
  • goal lav from a free kick
  • oof hams, tough opportunity but id expect him to do better, certainly at least score.
  • guilt edge opportunity missed by tippa with lav running into the goal square unmarked.
  • turnover forced on wing with multiple options running towards goal including smack unmarked at back of the square running towards 50 but lav fumbled Langford return handpass and they went down the other end for their first goal.

To that point they had only had 2 other scoring opportunities. We were incredibly wasteful and had similar periods of domination through our the game where we completely failed to capitalise because of our own skill errors.

…“gilt edged”.

The “guilt edged” ones were those obvious frees that the maggots didn’t pay. Or maybe those have guilt to the core.

Just saying.

Just saw McKernan’s handball.

Yer…I got nothin

Finally getting to watch the game properly. We were worth a 3 to 5 goal lead in the first 15 minutes.

• JD oof, an admittedly tough opportunity
  • JD guilt edged set shot straight in front 45 out
  • blatant high contact in marking contest to JD a the top of the square ignored
  • brown front on contact in the marking contest ignored
  • goal lav from a free kick
  • oof hams, tough opportunity but id expect him to do better, certainly at least score.
  • guilt edge opportunity missed by tippa with lav running into the goal square unmarked.
  • turnover forced on wing with multiple options running towards goal including smack unmarked at back of the square running towards 50 but lav fumbled Langford return handpass and they went down the other end for their first goal.

To that point they had only had 2 other scoring opportunities. We were incredibly wasteful and had similar periods of domination through our the game where we completely failed to capitalise because of our own skill errors.

Ok. I said the same to my good mate who works in the fitness dept for one of the wa or sa sides…

He said. One of the small Fwds for his side was on a role and did not come to the bench as he was required. Subsequently their best midfielder was on the bench for 10 mins because all rotations were Fkd up. It’s coincidence after a goal.

So real story - lecras wouldn’t come off, through out all rotations and shuey was stuck on the bench due to match up issues.

Or was it Walters and Mundy.

Or was it betts and sloane.

I don’t get it and challenged what he was telling me but he was adamant that players need to rotate properly otherwise It has a downstream effect on ALL players ability to run the game out.

I asked him after the whole vickery episode.

It was a really great effort by the team to hit the front in the last Q. What annoyed me was that Zerret had to run off after he kicked the goal to put us up. Our best center clearance mid when Zak is out leaves the field? Saints got the next couple of clearances & goals. He came back on and we kicked the final goal. But the game was over.

This is my most hated thing in football.

WHY FFS?

Yep, me too, at least in terms of things I just don't get. Am yet to hear or read an explanation for it.

It’s almost like we didn’t want to win

It was a really great effort by the team to hit the front in the last Q. What annoyed me was that Zerret had to run off after he kicked the goal to put us up. Our best center clearance mid when Zak is out leaves the field? Saints got the next couple of clearances & goals. He came back on and we kicked the final goal. But the game was over.

WHY FFS?

Yep, me too, at least in terms of things I just don't get. Am yet to hear or read an explanation for it.
I haven't seen Ivan attack an Essendon midfielder like this since Andrew Welsh

Come on, I actually had something nice to say about Myers in there.

Fair to say A grade set me off a bit though.

I think Myers has talent but he has limitations too and we have to get the midfield balance right.

Wc made a gf playing one genuine inside beast. Some here would have us play 4 or 5 which we obviously can’t. They obviously didn’t watch the 2014 elimination final.

I think at most we can play 4 of Myers, Watson, hepp, Hocking and Langford, maybe only 3 and bird. I just think Myers is the least flexible of that lot and the most injury prone.

Ivan, you make me laugh. I said the same as you. We both said he was an A grade talent. I never said an a grade player. Like you said. Yet to prove it.

Myers is a genuine inside A grade talent and in our best 22 easy.

Langford is easily in our best team now and in 2 years could be in our best few players imo. Both in.

And ironically, St. Kilda kicked very accurately after their inaccuracy of the previous week. There were a lot of positives.

Three of Membrey’s goals were lucky. The first (his 3rd?) started right of the goal post and swung late, just enough to get in. The next one did the opposite ie started left and swung right to get in. Another one just scraped in. There is a lot of luck in these things, although it was poor kicking and lack of confidence that was responsible for our misses.

Vying with Pazza for silly post of the decade. Don’t know where to start, so won’t.

And ironically, St. Kilda kicked very accurately after their inaccuracy of the previous week. There were a lot of positives.

Three of Membrey’s goals were lucky. The first (his 3rd?) started right of the goal post and swung late, just enough to get in. The next one did the opposite ie started left and swung right to get in. Another one just scraped in. There is a lot of luck in these things, although it was poor kicking and lack of confidence that was responsible for our misses.

What? How is that luck??

joes start on target then he drops it.

WHY FFS?

What? How is that luck??

We would have won this game if Luey played, I reckon.
Of course - thousands of things made a difference also.

Also, can people stop calling him Poppy pls? ■■■■■ me.
Yep. You may as well be jostling Bruce for a spot on your knees in front of him.

It was a really great effort by the team to hit the front in the last Q.
What annoyed me was that Zerret had to run off after he kicked the goal to put us up.
Our best center clearance mid when Zak is out leaves the field?
Saints got the next couple of clearances & goals.
He came back on and we kicked the final goal.
But the game was over.

Loved Parish's game. Can't believe he's just 18.

He’s ridiculous. He’s a really interesting player to watch, his running ability, both endurance and smarts is awesome, he’s not a speedster by any means but he has an amazing ability to influence a contest (where he doesn’t win the ball but helps a mate out) and then kick away from the contest, faster and to better position than anyone else to provide a downfield option.

Also reckon his endurance is huge, I’d like to see his number quater by quater over the year, I reckon he’d have good second half stats.

I noticed similar things as early as the Melbourne game. He runs a lot, and offers options to receive the ball, but isn’t being used all that much yet. I think players tend to give the ball to the older more established players eg Kelly, Goddard when they call for it in a position about 20 to 30m away. The younger players not so much. I think it is a confidence thing with the ball carrier having confidence in the established players to get it and use it well. In any event, he runs to really good spots and his endurance seems really good. I don’t think he drops off much late in games, like you might expect a young onballer to do. Really good signs, when you add it to his contested ball winning ability, his hardness and tackling in tight, his quick decision making and his clean hands. I think his outside game has got lots of upside.

Heppell Hooker Hurley Colyer Zerrett Daniher Parish Langford Laverde Francis Tippa Fantasia

All have elite in them, If they all click together we can dominate this league.

I like Redman as well. Plus whoever we get with our picks #1-3 and #19-22 next this year.

Plus the big fish that Sheedy has been promising since 2002

Fixed

Heppell Hooker Hurley Colyer Zerrett Daniher Parish Langford Laverde Francis Tippa Fantasia

All have elite in them, If they all click together we can dominate this league.

I like Redman as well. Plus whoever we get with our picks #1-3 and #19-22 next year.

Plus the big fish that Sheedy has been promising since 2002

Elite gets thrown around too much - elite should be considered top 10 in a position. The only ones in this list who have shown glimpses of being elite are

Hooker, Hurley, Zerrett, Parish, Heppell.

The rest have shown they could be A grade. but remember, elite is the elite of the competition