Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Yeah we should definitely at least look at Shaw.

Even if he only worked out as depth he’d still be useful if he was able to cover for KPF injuries we have until a younger player we drafted (probably next year if the calls on it being a good KPP draft are accurate) matures.

I like Shaw but he’s a real Mitch Brown type. He lacks a lot of intensity and a lot of physicality/presence for a guy who’s a decent size. I don’t think it’s HUGELY detrimental to his game but it will annoy a few on here. On the other hand he’s a decent size, good hands and VERY good kick for goal. I would be happy to take him with a late pick.

I just posted this in the PSD thread and as pointed out by Ants, it probably belongs here:

If there is no big fish available… what about Michael Gibbons from Williamstown? Just won the JJ Liston (B&F for VFL) and the Norm Goss (best on) in the VFL Grand Final last year. Is only 21, might be worth a look???

I just posted this in the PSD thread and as pointed out by Ants, it probably belongs here:

If there is no big fish available… what about Michael Gibbons from Williamstown? Just won the JJ Liston (B&F for VFL) and the Norm Goss (best on) in the VFL Grand Final last year. Is only 21, might be worth a look???

To be clear, I thought it would ALSO be useful here.

And I meant what I said - can you tell us anymore about him?

I heard him interviewed on the radio the other day, he said the knock on him has been his kicking efficiency.

I heard him interviewed on the radio the other day, he said the knock on him has been his kicking efficiency.

Ants, it was good advice. I didn’t see this thread tucked away at the bottom of the page.

Unfortunately I do not have much information on him outside of the recent news article by Leader:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/williamstowns-michael-gibbons-boosts-afl-hopes-by-claiming-vfls-jj-liston-trophy/news-story/b4e5912175834cd2f1d96af684f7ec99

As Houli_Dooley mentioned, there are knocks on his kicking efficiency and I have been told this as well. But at the age of 21 and with the a proper elite training environment, he can fix this.

I reckon he’s worth a rookie spot. I doubt we’ll have any available this year but someone will give him a go.

KWAME MCHARG kicked 5 goals in Deer Park’s grand final win.
The dream isn’t over!! COME ON!!

Ants, it was good advice. I didn’t see this thread tucked away at the bottom of the page.

Unfortunately I do not have much information on him outside of the recent news article by Leader:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/williamstowns-michael-gibbons-boosts-afl-hopes-by-claiming-vfls-jj-liston-trophy/news-story/b4e5912175834cd2f1d96af684f7ec99

As Houli_Dooley mentioned, there are knocks on his kicking efficiency and I have been told this as well. But at the age of 21 and with the a proper elite training environment, he can fix this.

I reckon he’s worth a rookie spot. I doubt we’ll have any available this year but someone will give him a go.

From Knightmare i am liking the look of him

Small midfielder who has been excellent for a few years now in the VFL. Improves each year.

Probably this years best performed VFL midfielder. Has performed well in big games and v good opposition consistently. Strong contested ball winner and able to win first possession at the contest. Good tackler. Can find it on the outside. Covers the ground well - good endurance and pace above average.

His weak point is his footskills which lack consistency and hurt factor. He also is more a pure midfielder than someone you’d rotate forward.

But if you’re after a ready to play midfielder. Gibbons if you’ve got enough skilled guys through there could be a good choice.

Small midfielder who has been excellent for a few years now in the VFL. Improves each year.

Probably this years best performed VFL midfielder. Has performed well in big games and v good opposition consistently. Strong contested ball winner and able to win first possession at the contest. Good tackler. Can find it on the outside. Covers the ground well - good endurance and pace above average.

His weak point is his footskills which lack consistency and hurt factor. He also is more a pure midfielder than someone you’d rotate forward.

But if you’re after a ready to play midfielder. Gibbons if you’ve got enough skilled guys through there could be a good choice.

Sounds like Will Hams.

Sounds like Will Hams.

But just a bit quicker some likened his play to S.Mitchell

Sounds like Will Hams.

Fair enough. Just don’t see the need for a vanilla midfielder with average footskills. Would rather retain Hams or rookie Holmes and/or HepA.

Sounds like Will Hams.

Fair enough. Just don’t see the need for a vanilla midfielder with average footskills. Would rather retain Hams or rookie Holmes and/or HepA.

Pretty much my toughts just people were asking about him

Sounds like Will Hams.

The major difference would be that most neutral observers appear to rate him as better than HepA. At least mid-year. I don’t know if they’ve changed their mind since HepA went into the midfield.

Sounds like Will Hams.

So Shane Valenti or Myles Sewell then?
I think to draft guys out of state leagues they either need to have 1) come out of nowhere ala Isaac Smith 2) been beyond dominant ala Sam Mitchell 3) got injured at the wrong time on their teens ala Hartley or 4) be a lamp post who didn’t grow into their body til their mid-20s (none of whom spring to mind as having made it at AFL)

Sounds like Will Hams.

I think to draft guys out of state leagues they either need to have 1) come out of nowhere ala Isaac Smith 2) been beyond dominant ala Sam Mitchell 3) got injured at the wrong time on their teens ala Hartley or 4) be a lamp post who didn’t grow into their body til their mid-20s (none of whom spring to mind as having made it at AFL)

I wouldn’t have a clue i don’t particularly want him at all

Sounds like Will Hams.

Would any of that criteria apply to Howlett, Bags, Hibberd, Puopollo (sp?), etc?

Sounds like Will Hams.

Would any of that criteria apply to Howlett, Bags, Hibberd, Puopollo (sp?), etc?

I’d say they probably fall into one of the first 2 categories (without knowing any of their back stories)

edit Poppy broke his neck/back in his draft year. Howlett won a B&F in the WAFL as a 19 y/old, Bags switched from half forward to backline leading into being drafted, Hibberd won B&F as 20 y/old

double edit more Hibbo
“He’d played just one year with Dandenong Stingrays, even then injury intervening, plagued by groin problems and playing just half the season. Overlooked on draft day, he headed to Frankston, then coached by former Kangaroo and later Essendon assistant coach Shannon Grant”

perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/wafl/rising-subiaco-star-liam-ryan-set-to-reach-new-heights-in-the-afl-next-year-according-to-his-coaches/news-story/29bca498a64b865bd4d316498f849466

Rising Subiaco star Liam Ryan set to reach new heights in the AFL next year, according to his coaches
September 18, 2016 12:00am
Chris Robinson

THE bigger the stage, the better the performance.

That’s been the trend of Liam Ryan’s short but stunning career so far, and his past and present coaches agree it can continue at AFL level next year.

The livewire Subiaco small forward has emerged as a draft bolter after bursting onto the WAFL scene midway through the year, booting 39 goals in 15 games and providing a highlight reel of spectacular marks.

And a four-goal effort that turned the game in last weekend’s second semi-final sits as proof of Ryan’s big-game capability amid talk that both West Coast and Fremantle are interested in his services.

“I can’t answer for the AFL clubs, but I think he’s got all the tools to be there,” Subiaco coach Jarrad Schofield said of the 19-year-old.

“He plays the game on instinct, he makes good decisions by foot, left and right, and like good players, he’s able to slow to the game down and make critical decisions.

“He’s a very humble kid and very level-headed. Pressure doesn’t seem to faze him.

“He’s one of those players that will only get better at the next level.”

Ryan’s rise to prominence on the AFL radar has been made all the more remarkable by the fact he was playing for Geraldton club Rovers in the Great Northern Football League as recently as April before his senior WAFL debut at the Lions.

“We knew what we were getting, it was just whether he could adapt to city life and the pressures and demands of WAFL football,” Schofield said.

“That was going to be the telling sign – whether he could stay true to that, and he has.

“Now we’re seeing some quality performances against quality sides in the latter part of the year, where most times you’d probably see players drop off.”

Rovers coach Dave Fiorenza, who had a hand in the junior careers of Harry Taylor and Paddy Ryder, said he was confident Ryan would thrive if chosen for an AFL call-up.

“At the next level up, he plays better,” Fiorenza said.

“I took Liam as a 17-year-old to go down to Country Week to play against men, and he just stepped up.

“He’s always been able to adapt to the next challenge.”

Fiorenza said Ryan had benefitted from a strong football pedigree, taking elements of his game from his father Darren ‘Snotty’ Ryan, who had a brief stint with Claremont, as well as Liam’s uncle Bob.

The coach implored AFL clubs to allow Ryan to show off his strengths if selected, with pure natural instinct as a high-flyer at the top of the list.

“If he does make it, I hope they don’t curtail his natural ability,” Fiorenza said.

“He was telling me about that mark he took against South Fremantle (on top of Adam Guglielmana).

“He said, ‘I thought I was going to jump over him, so I had to hook in with my foot to take the mark’. He was up so high he was worried he was going to completely clear him.”

Watched his game on the 7app over the weekend against south freo. Kicked 4.4 but probably should have nailed some of the easier set shots he missed. Quick, leads well and looks a natural forward. Could easily see his skill set working at afl level. One of the commentators mentioned that one knock on him might be that he needs to chase more and apply more defensive pressure. Some of the tackles he did apply were slipped through pretty easily and he didn’t seem to leave the forward half of the ground that much. Also kicked 11 goals from 4 games in the reserves before being promoted which would make 50 goals for the year.
Doesn’t get mentioned in most mock drafts so I’m guessing he goes late.

perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/wafl/rising-subiaco-star-liam-ryan-set-to-reach-new-heights-in-the-afl-next-year-according-to-his-coaches/news-story/29bca498a64b865bd4d316498f849466

Rising Subiaco star Liam Ryan set to reach new heights in the AFL next year, according to his coaches
September 18, 2016 12:00am
Chris Robinson

THE bigger the stage, the better the performance.

That’s been the trend of Liam Ryan’s short but stunning career so far, and his past and present coaches agree it can continue at AFL level next year.

The livewire Subiaco small forward has emerged as a draft bolter after bursting onto the WAFL scene midway through the year, booting 39 goals in 15 games and providing a highlight reel of spectacular marks.

And a four-goal effort that turned the game in last weekend’s second semi-final sits as proof of Ryan’s big-game capability amid talk that both West Coast and Fremantle are interested in his services.

“I can’t answer for the AFL clubs, but I think he’s got all the tools to be there,” Subiaco coach Jarrad Schofield said of the 19-year-old.

“He plays the game on instinct, he makes good decisions by foot, left and right, and like good players, he’s able to slow to the game down and make critical decisions.

“He’s a very humble kid and very level-headed. Pressure doesn’t seem to faze him.

“He’s one of those players that will only get better at the next level.”

Ryan’s rise to prominence on the AFL radar has been made all the more remarkable by the fact he was playing for Geraldton club Rovers in the Great Northern Football League as recently as April before his senior WAFL debut at the Lions.

“We knew what we were getting, it was just whether he could adapt to city life and the pressures and demands of WAFL football,” Schofield said.

“That was going to be the telling sign – whether he could stay true to that, and he has.

“Now we’re seeing some quality performances against quality sides in the latter part of the year, where most times you’d probably see players drop off.”

Rovers coach Dave Fiorenza, who had a hand in the junior careers of Harry Taylor and Paddy Ryder, said he was confident Ryan would thrive if chosen for an AFL call-up.

“At the next level up, he plays better,” Fiorenza said.

“I took Liam as a 17-year-old to go down to Country Week to play against men, and he just stepped up.

“He’s always been able to adapt to the next challenge.”

Fiorenza said Ryan had benefitted from a strong football pedigree, taking elements of his game from his father Darren ‘Snotty’ Ryan, who had a brief stint with Claremont, as well as Liam’s uncle Bob.

The coach implored AFL clubs to allow Ryan to show off his strengths if selected, with pure natural instinct as a high-flyer at the top of the list.

“If he does make it, I hope they don’t curtail his natural ability,” Fiorenza said.

“He was telling me about that mark he took against South Fremantle (on top of Adam Guglielmana).

“He said, ‘I thought I was going to jump over him, so I had to hook in with my foot to take the mark’. He was up so high he was worried he was going to completely clear him.”

Watched his game on the 7app over the weekend against south freo. Kicked 4.4 but probably should have nailed some of the easier set shots he missed. Quick, leads well and looks a natural forward. Could easily see his skill set working at afl level. One of the commentators mentioned that one knock on him might be that he needs to chase more and apply more defensive pressure. Some of the tackles he did apply were slipped through pretty easily and he didn’t seem to leave the forward half of the ground that much. Also kicked 11 goals from 4 games in the reserves before being promoted which would make 50 goals for the year.
Doesn’t get mentioned in most mock drafts so I’m guessing he goes late.

Pick him up.
If someone can think that quickly on the football field and has half decent disposal/athleticism they’re at least good enough to play at AFL level.

So, who seem to be the top handful of draft prospects from the state leagues this year?

Luke Ryan (Coburg)- only state league player invited to the draft combine. Well rounded half back flank. Good skills & dash.
Brett Eddy (South Adelaide). Goal kicking machine, key forward.
Liam Ryan (Subiaco) Excitement machine small forward.
Darcy Cameron (Claremont) 21 year old 204cm who seems to dominate.

Any other main contenders?

FFS Sam Menegola has been brilliant for the Cats this year, taken at pick 66. What a steal. FFS