Memberships

yeah you’re right. I get home seats as well.

I guess I should be thankfull for that then…

Update…seems there will be a $30 voucher coming our way.

Maybe some communication of that a little earlier would have reduced my disappointment levels

2 Likes

My suggestion would be an opt in function for membership packs. A lot of members enjoy getting the pack every year and wearing the member cap or scarf to the games. Default it to not receive and click through an email link to opt in.
My guess is 75% of members would want the pack.

5 Likes

This is a great idea @daf

Hey all, just thought ide vent re how dissapointed i am with the club re member packs… same stuff year in year out. How many scarves and hats do you need? I just dont see why they dont go to a tiny bit of effort and give us option’s… hat, scarf, beanie, heaven forbid ask us if we would prefer a shirt, whatever. I chalked up my 10years this year, so dissapointed to open up a nicely presented box to find pretty much the same gear with a 10 year patch, cmon, really? . Not all of us can go to games, so what do we do with them, its borderline ridiculous. Love the club, really do just think we could do so much better to make members feel connected and valued. Anyway, thanks for listening.

3 Likes

And apologies late to forum so no doubt discussed earlier…

Same no scarf to add to 20 years of pain fusing of the years of HELL rug I am trying to build

My partner actually said I am sure they will send you more …yeah right

1 Like

I believe membership is down ~2,000 compared to this time last year, and the gap is widening. Clearly member retention is down and the appetite for new sales is subdued (understandably).

I rang membership yesterday and they said they were 2k up in last year at this point.

If the website is up to date at 56,200 at 20/01/23, then it’s trailing as it was around 58,000 at 20/01/22. Only other possibility is website hasn’t captured a separate upload that’s to be included. On published numbers as of today it’s down on last year.

1 Like

You’re doing it wrong… I got a complete rug with an $85 AFLW membership.

3 Likes

Well its getting harder and harder to justify to my misses i can tell you that… i understand we pay membership to support club financially, and to feel part if the team, but the eyeroll i got this year as i tore open my 10 year pack, just like the day i ripped open the package of my atari2600 in 1984, was alarming to the point i thought her eyes werent going to come back!! I was literally shattered and embarrased… word gets around, people dont have as much disposable income these days re interest rates etc so perhaps time they actually had a membership review as well, and not go the easy, cheap option i.e. lets make members feel special and not give them something every year, build up the hype re milestones, and just rip their hearts out every 5th year. Dramatic maybe but its how i, and many other members feel. Thats all. Thanks for listening

5 Likes

I’m dropping my missus membership this year due to financial constraints, after the math I can now afford 1.2 beers per Qtr for home games only, sometimes you just gotta make sacrifices.
Best Atari game- Asteroids

1 Like

Get a new one

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: and agreed!!

I renewed last week over the phone as I needed to update my payment details. They processed my payment which I paid in full and up front. However I haven’t received any correspondence since not even a follow up email thanking me for joining up again. To be honest I don’t think that’s really acceptable or am I wrong?

1 Like

Who knows. Part of me says you will get an official email soon so don’t worry about it. Then part of me says you’d think you’d get an automatically generated email. Maybe the system hasn’t uploaded it yet to generate the response yet… I’m sure you will get coms soon.

I said this a few weeks ago. Biggest no brainer ever IMO

1 Like

Nope, you’re not wrong. All you need is an acknowledgment/confirmation that all is in order. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

2 Likes

It’s not a straightforward thing to do. You don’t know how many people are going to opt in, so it’s hard to pre order a batch of the right size.

You also can’t really order merchandise from a manufacturer on demand and in dribs and drabs.

What you could do is punt that a minimum of, for example, 30,000 will opt in. So you order that many. But then more than that opt in and the second batch take a shitload of time to get to the members. Or your order too much and get left with excess in which case you may as well have ordered a pack for every member. Which they don’t seem to want to do, presumably because of costs.

I do agree that it’s complete bullshit that you don’t get a pack. One of the most exciting moments of the year was getting your membership pack and opening it up. Now you might get a boring envelope that doesn’t give you any connection to the club.

And as far as this years marketing campaign goes, all I have got from the club about membership is three emails.

One begging me to pay before 7 November so I get the same price as last year, but with zero information about what my membership option includes or a compelling reason to sign up. All it offered was that if don’t renew by 7 November, it will cost more.

The following two emails also had no membership information but just told me that my bank card is expired and I must update my details.

I’m approaching about 20 years in a row now and had a few before this stint as a younger child.

Am currently living overseas and as far as I can tell, as an overseas member all I will receive is a code to activate the Watch AFL service, a 10 % bomber shop discount (useless because the Under Armour guernseys and merch are horrible) and weekly emails.

Not even a bloody letter saying thanks mate or a physical token to acknowledge my $194 payment to the club.

2 Likes

So today I get a missed call voicemail left it’s the Essendon football club membership department saying I need to pay by 25 January or I’m at risk of losing my seat. Even though I paid on the 10th January.

I call up the club who I must admit answer promptly, I advise the voicemail I had just received , gentleman on phone confirms my details and promptly advises my membership is fully paid.

When I asked why did I receive this message the young lad wasn’t sure ha ha anyway all resolved.

2 Likes