Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

Nah, I meant that Clarke is fulfilling the spot of player-on-list-that-we’re-paying-despite-giving-no-indication-of-ever-wanting-to-play-him.

@Aceman is right though, Jake Long is a better example…

If we can see it why can’t the coaching staff. Maybe he’s just not a favourite atm.

The way our players are being injured he’s likely to get a game soon.

Ben McNeice- I am sure he is a a nice guy but in football terms he is not AFL standard. If he was the reason for no Tippa 2.0 or anyone else then he should have been dropped off the senior list. We are weak!

1 Like

It’s hard to not assume this club has no f*cking idea what it is doing.

3 Likes

Feasible.

But in that case it makes Adrian’s comment about Mcniece a “I’m tired, can’t be bothered with expanding on the real details” throw away line.

Which is also feasible.

Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter I guess.

2 Likes

Everyone should remember, that excess cap can be used next year (up to a limit). So the midseason draft is not a free hit. It does impact future salary cap.

Because presumably we don’t rate him as more than a Cat B position, and that wouldn’t impact our salary cap position. Also, we might still be able to do it at year end.

3 Likes

Nope

I reckon that’s exactly what happened.

I think Daniher has been LTI’d but hasn’t been completely excluded from list

As such only one list spot was available given McNeice has been upgraded which is what Disco said. He answered quickly and there is no reason for him to lie about the scenario anyway.

JD a slim chance to have the op, recover & return late season/finals.

Perhaps we were only trying to get TIPPA 2.0 as a CatB rookie given he was in our indigenous academy and that’s what AFL vetoed for the MSD.

1 Like

I must say I loved our selection of Irving mosquito and on the flip side yestin eades didn’t work out. Tippa has been a wonderful story (some say why did we wait so long, but others overlooked him too).

Richmond previously took punts on Chris Yarran and Troy Taylor. Relton Roberts is another.

Let’s not pretend Richmond have had all hits.

I would have liked Pickett but I’m certainly no expert and the finger injury made it difficult. Hope Snelling goes really well.

10 Likes

That’s one example where revisionist history doesn’t work. The Richmond who picked up Taylor, Roberts, Gibson, Yarran are a very different Richmond top to bottom to the ones that grabbed and specifically got great support around Rioli, Stack and now Pickett. They realised they had a big issue with support and fixed it.

4 Likes

Fair enough. Is it fair to lump dan Rioli with the other two Ben? I wasn’t aware that he had issues the others did.

Brayden who is in our academy is following a similar path to Daniel (going to st pats Ballarat as I understand).

Also the tigers drafted rioli in 2015 and traded for yarran in 2016 - so they were at similar stages as a club on face value.

He nearly went off the rails early, and Dimma moved him into his own house to support him.

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes

Obviously, Dimma is a huge contributor to turning their Indigenous programs around but their Forward coach Xavier Clarke, one would imagine, would also be a big factor into turning that aspect of their culture around.

If I was at the club I’d be trying to recruit an indigenous coach into our development program, Chris Johnson is one off the top of my head who has plenty of experience developing young players.

3 Likes

Can’t help but feel the clubs who “retired” their players prior to the draft rorted the system somewhat, not only did they manufacture a list spot but they also would have cleared up cap space that those clubs who had genuine LTIs couldn’t.

It will be interesting where these retirees end up (and how much they earn), I can’t imagine the AFLPA would be too impressed that experienced players could be pressured, encouraged or incentivised to retire.

How so?

I doubt just because they retire blokes, they then cut the amount on their contract, … or are then able to magically remove it from their total PP ledger.

1 Like

They can cut payments and remove it from the cap if both parties agree (except for free agents, that has to go against the cap). Happened with Tom Boyd, he’s not getting paid the last two years of his contract and on a reduced amount this year. Tippett by contrast got a settlement that the swans spread out over two years, which is why they put him on the rookie list this year (I suspect there might have been some remnants of whatever deal the AFL came to with the swans over the transition away from the COLA involved in that, but that’s total speculation).

I can’t imagine a Shaun Grigg or Heath Grundy would take a pay cut for the last few months of their contracts.

2 Likes

I think how Dimma got the whole club to care about each other is key to Richmond’s whole resurgence.

Maybe it is a source of hope for us that a side that got it so wrong for so long was able to stick with Dimma and get it all right.

If we had taken Dimma when we had the chance…

But would we have stuck by him and got it right, unfortunately I don’t think so. Was a major sliding doors moment for the club at any rate.

(pardon the Barrett connotation, he didn’t invent it).