Midfield Trade Targets

I wonder if it would be worth trying to get Liberatore, he’s gone backwards under Beveridge, but at his best he was a clearance and tackle machine which could be nice for us. Given his lack of form over the past 2 seasons might be able to get him cheapish and a change of environment might be good for him. Would be a risk though given his off-field stuff.

4 Likes

Yes. And even then, to borrow a phrase from Geoffrey Rush, “They’re more like guidelines”.

Imo, Its increasingly apparent that the AFL will say one thing, but they wont actually impede players from moving for fear of restraint of trade courtroom time.

3 Likes

Our first round pick for Stringer. I’d do that trade in the first minute of trade week.

2 Likes

I thought Libba was pretty ■■■■■■ good in the flag year! He spent most of last pre-season off his chops though.

3 Likes

Got to give it to him, the man can party.

So how about we go for both?!

Because we didn’t think he offered more than Daniher?

He had some good games and was excellent in the finals, but most of his season proper was average I thought.

1 Like

If you could package Liberatore (25 yo) and Stringer 23 and not pay much more than our first pick I’d be all over it.

3 Likes

So there’s a 119% chance he goes to one of those clubs. More if you consider the inclusion of a profit margin.

Bookies probably know he’s not moving so can offer loss-making odds.

Anyone who wants Stringer has rocks in their heads. We need midfielders and he is not one.

1 Like

No odds for him staying?

Stringer: The full package minus mental application

1 Like

Hmm, I am torn on Stringer. At his best he is as good as anyone but at his worst he just looks disinterested. I also wonder whether he fills a need? You’ve potentially got Lav and Begley in a similar mold (albeit neither have shown anything near Stringer’s level yet). If it was between Stringer and a genuine mid, I would target the mid.

On a side note, I seem to recall that he was a Dons supporter growing up - have I imagined that?

To play this out - in his AA season, Stringer started in the centre square more and more as they made their run to the finals. If he got fit, he’d be a definite candidate for 25% game time in the middle and could use his strength to burst out of packs.

1 Like

We don’t need part time midfielders, we need serious, full time, hard working both ways midfielders. Let’s cut out this crap of trying to turn everyone into a midfielder and just draft/trade for pure midfielders (you know the ones, they start in the midfield and run back or forward depending on the need).

3 Likes

I’m waiting for these names…

What names? The ones we haven’t drafted yet?

You said draft/trade, so trade candidates generally have names (you know, because they exist on lists). If you meant draft - that’s fine, different contention. I don’t disagree with the draft approach, but if you can get a club who needs to sell, you might be able to do a trade for a good price.

1 Like

Josh Kelly, Dustin Martin, Tom Rockliff: they are all midfielders who people wanted. None of which we will get. Then there is Kennedy and Hopper, both midfielders who play midfield, not forwards who sometimes play midfield.

Trading for a non-midfielder when you don’t need said role that player plays is not going to be considered good trading imo, at any price.

Trading should only be done for a player when you have a need and a particular player meets it. You don’t just go after a player because you love them.

1 Like

IF the rumour about Stringer is true and IF he nominates Essendon

Remember the time we wanted a first round pick for Crameri or a pick and a player and they told us to fk off and accept a second rounder…

24 Likes