Midfield Trade Targets

Our defence isn’t exactly going great at the moment either.

In the current game it all starts and ends with the midfield man. ideally you want balance across the board, but if you’re a ■■■■ middling team you want to improve the midfield first.

Generally the guy doing the job Dodoro is doing is instructed by the club what direction they want to go in, he doesn’t just make those decisions himself. Our club was hell bent on rebuilding our tall stocks that had been crap for some time. It was the right thing to do except they kept doing it when they needed to switch. Same with the whole HBF situation.

The club has already come out this year and declared their focus is on the midfield, so I expect most of our drafting/trading for a few years will be midfield players.

Saying that getting someone like Lever sin’t a bad strategy going by the lack of depth in our defensive end.

So the club has been instructing Dodoro to ignore the midfield for nearly 20 years??? FFS I’m sick of the bullshyte excuses for his failures. We had the best talls in the game in the early 2000’s & we were forced into gutting what was left of our midfield when we ran into cap problems - what did Dodoro do - he drafted Laycock, Cartledge, Bradley then in 05/06 Ryder & Gumby. The notion that we needed talls is not only factually wrong it again highlights a complete lack of awareness to what was happening in the football world. Again, it should have been patently obvious from the Brisbane 3 peat that the midfield was where it was being won (has it ever really been anything else?) The club has been saying for 15 years “we are going to get a gun mid” & frankly I’m sick of hearing the BS. Dodoro has been there far too long for far too many failures. I want him to be better, I want to see some sign that the rumours about him being a complete kent to deal with & a hindrance to deals is wrong. What I actually do see is years after years of poor draft, trade & list management decisions. I know he doesn’t work in a bubble but FFS at some point in his career he’s gotta be held responsible for something We now have the honour of the longest finals drought in the game - Can anyone name any other honour a list Dodoro has built can claim???

4 Likes

I think you’re being a little hard on Dodoro here.

Put Ryder, Carlisle, Hibberd, Melksham and Crameri back on our list and we are a genuine flag chance this year.

The saga has dealt us a hard hand and we now have to work through it and rebuild certain sections in our structure:

• genuine defensive tall (I would target Rory Thompson ahead of leaver - has genuine height that we need and won’t cost us anywhere near as much).
  • genuine midfield bull to replace Jobe e.g. Libba (package him with the Package for our 1st and 2nd round picks)
5 Likes

I agree with you.
But just to be a kent…
He was praised last week for drafting 5 All Australian players!

1 Like

The guy drafts almost 20% of the AA squad with 1-2 more close, the rising star and you are blaming him for another capitulation? WTF.

It’s bee the coaching group since Knights, and its take Woosha 2 years and he is struggling to break the bad habits.

2 Likes

Individual honours don’t mean squat. He’s been there for 19 odd years, how many other AA players has he drafted in that time? 19 years, 22 players per year (thats 418 spots) & he’s drafted 10 spots. Thats less than 3%. Factor in Jobe was a FS & its so pathetic its not even funny anymore. This is a team sport & you win it by having a great team. He has not addressed the most important part of the game the midfield. We have had a shyte midfield for his entire tenure bar the mids he inherited. The same coaching group that won in 2000 declined rapidly once Dodoro started replacing stars with duds. Can anyone honestly tell themselves that Knights had a great list but it was all his coaching? I personally don’t rate any coach as that influential they can shine shyte or make a great side be shyte for a decade. I was a critic of Knights sure but I never thought he was the difference between a flag & failure. Our list has long had a massive weakness in the midfield & this has never allowed us to have a genuine crack at success.

2 Likes

That clarko bloke seems to go alright with an aweful drafting team. If we missed as many top picks as him we’d be ■■■■■■.

There is no logic to the above post.

Do you really believe that? Put in Crameri you have to take out Zerrett & replace him with Melksham. I 100% believe with those players we have a better squad BUT there is still no way in hell we go deep into the finals with that midfield.

1 Like

Crazy to want Dodoro out now he is finally getting it right.

1 Like

Hawthorn have an awful drafting team now? In what alternate reality is that? Did you mean to say you are in awe of their team or was that just Fruedian? Apart from the fact that unlike us Hawthorn have changed their list manager even a few years after a flag I have to ask again in what reality do you determine Hawthorn’s drafting, trading & list management to be anything but very good? Yes Pelchen missed with guys like Dowler but he also got a few names like Buddy Roughy & Lewis the year before. Nobody expects every draft pick to be right but by any standard Dodoro has got far too many wrong & again his planning & execution of drafts & trades have been very poor. Hawthorn on the other hand have traded better than anyone for a long time even with different list managers. BTW just so you know the 1st time the current Hawthorn list manager had a 1st round pick was 2015 & they picked up Ryan Burton.

Pelchen wasn’t there when they got Buddy, Roughead and Lewis, he started the next year. Regardless, any chance this conversation could happen in the Dodoro thread?

1 Like

They are very good at trading and take risks.

The serenity

You honestly think they didn’t?

Really?

And your suggestion is?

Stringer

2 Likes

Faaaark stringer

Yeah because chasing 50 goal AA players who can play midfield (and IMHO are better there) is so something we shouldn’t be doing.

3 Likes