Midfield Trade Targets

As opposed to other blatant allegations already made in this and many other threads. Fairly hypocritical simply as it’s about our own

People aren’t perfect and I’ve already replied to this in part to Ants. Happy to take a few flames but this ■■■■■ has happened for years on blitz so we will leave it at that

Huh? Wasn’t it one of the Bulldog posts?

No sorry Ants you missed some deleted posts. All good. Anyhow point taken. I’ll pm some of the more politically incorrect stuff direct from now on however hopefully others will also

1 Like

Could care less hey? David Mitchell has some words for you :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Not sure if he’s a mid but what’s Xavier Richards doing these days?

So assuming that we must have some $ stowed away and with Kelly out what contracted players would you pursue?

Wines, Macrae, Oliver, Cripps, Any Crouch even both, Sheil, Dumont. Does anyone think clubs haven’t & wont try to poach Zerrett? We’ve shouldn’t ever be in a better financial position to attract genuine big fish mid.

2 Likes

Getting Cripps would be soooo good, on sooooo many levels.

3 Likes

I like some players on your list JBOMBER.

Dodoro said that “expect the unexpected”. Perhaps more contracted players on more modest salaries before the increase may be gettable.

Can’t help but think we would chase a quality inside mid from somewhere hard.

Even a player like Ben Cunnington who is no superstar is a 5 tackle, 7 clearance, 14 contested disposals a match player and would fit our dynamic perfectly.

Players like that are worth a look.

2 Likes

News today that north aren’t offering a host of their list contracts until after trade period. They are obviously going to try buy any player they can during trade period and offer their existing list the crumbs.

Really poor management IMO. We should be looking at those uncontracted roos and dangling a couple of carrots to those players that could make us better.

So I commented on this in the year in review thread, but it probably belongs over here, as it might impact the “type” of mid we want.

In Shaw’s review the stat that stood out to me
Centre clearances = 6th
Clearances = 18th

Someone who’s on top of states might tell me differently, but I assume “clearances” includes “centre clearances”.

So my reading is that we’re ok-ish in centre clearances, when we have time to set up our structures, and also have a 4 vs 4 contest, but around the ground were truly diabolical.

I can only hypothesise about what might cause that, but some ideas are:

• midfielders aren’t getting to as many stoppages around the ground, and so we’re outgunned
  • rucks don’t like wrestling and are beaten more easily in body on body contests
  • our around the ground stoppage structures are poor.
  • we don’t practice 12 on 12 stoppages as much as other teams

Etc etc

I’m sure there are plenty of other possibilities as well.

What does it mean? For me I’m not sure it means that we need single “midfield beast” type, as we’re not getting smashed in centre clearance numbers, which is where you expect the one on one players to thrive. What we need is depth of midfield contested players who get to every stoppage. And better structures.

Of course this doesn’t address the “quality” of opposition clearances, but again that’s structure and depth of players knowing their role.

I have no idea about the answer though…

9 Likes

cant believe im reading Dees offered us pick 2 for Myers and Colyer back in 2013. could have got kelly then.

Dees looking at offloading Tyson, is he of any value?

If that is remotely true then…wow way to lose your players.

Given our pro scout used to be north’s recruting manager, I’d imagine we’d be all over a situation like that.
Edit: just looked at the list of uncontracted north players. Hard pass.

It’s a beat-up in my opinion. Plenty of clubs do it, including us.

You cannot commit to filling your list, until you know who else you might end up with. So there have to be some players out of contract to leave room.

By my count we still have up to 11 players without a contract for 2018. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of them were left in limbo during trade week.

Bird
Green
Baguley
Hocking
Jerrett
Morgan
Howlett
McKernan
Long
McNiece
Draper

1 Like

Works the opposite aswell you know. If North don’t land anyone they will have to offer it up to the spuds on the list currently.

3 Likes

they gotta spend the money somewhere.
If I was North I would be asking the AFL to reduce minimum payments to 90% cause they dont wanna be paying spuds top dollar.

1 Like

Matt Kennedy please.

Un-contracted, 2 years of development, inside bull, won’t cost much, age bracket is perfect.

Get it done.

19 Likes

Add Stringer and Rockliff and there’ll be no more sh*t kicking opposition players roughing us up at the opening bounce.

3 Likes