Midfield Trade Targets

Trivia Question: Who said the following quote in his draft year?

“Ï have always wanted to play for a Melbourne club”

Clue: He was ultimately picked up, as expected, by GWS as he was an Academy player.

Answer: Matt Kennedy

3 Likes

I’m hugely keen on Kennedy, really good lad, and is the exact type we need

I’m more keen on us going in for him than I am Stringer

And GWS is one of the few teams who actually deal with us

13 Likes

As i understood it, it wasnt actually offered. It was more a general discussion early in trade week about what Melbourne wanted to do with pick 2, they were considering looking to turn it into two ready-to-go best 22 players and it would need something like Myers and Pears to get them even talking.

1 Like

Where did you hear that they want to offload Tyson? I’m pretty sure he is an underrated inside midfielder who is overshadowed by the likes viney, jones and oliver therefore he is of BIG value.

Yep should be our only target…stringer not for me!

I’m pretty sure he’s a massive jobber that’s been passed by the likes Viney, Oliver, Jones, like he was standing still.

The Dees passing up on Josh Kelly for Salem and Dom Tyson is one of the biggest trade busts of the last 5 years. HUGE ■■■■ up by the savoir!

Clearance stats (avg/game)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2017&rt=LA&st=CL

Rockliff the obvious gettable one

Worth a question…perhaps, maybe…

D. Swallow
Greenwood
Horlin-Smith
Dunstan
Redden

We have already had a Kelly. Need a Kennedy now. Good footballer name :slight_smile:

1 Like

They also got hunt. I could see the logic at the time. Kelly is making is look a little silly now

Is the 6th total clearances or clearance %?

We are a high goal scoring side which would mean we see a lot more centre clearances than say a Richmond who are more defensive.

That could contribute to some of that ranking.

1 Like

As I said elsewhere:

What the article said was “David Myers and Travis Colyer were linked as a swap for Melbourne’s pick No.2 in 2013”. It doesn’t say who did the linking (a journalist), it doesn’t say who initiated (if its real). For example, maybe Essendon offered those two for pick #2, and Melbourne laughed it off. Or maybe Melbourne asked about what it would cost to get those two, Essendon said #2, and Melbourne laughed it off.

Without more details, its a nothing phrase.

I’d definitely be interested. Is an inside player, which is what we need. Good quality, but not top end. Depends on cost of course. Last time he cost them a 5-7 pick downgrade.

1 Like

Tyson is a sub-par user of the ball but if they’re looking to move him on, he’d be a substantial upgrade on Myers.

5 Likes

Do you think they’d still look at that deal?

1 Like

Thats pretty dire for myers.

Might not be popular but I’d target Rhys Mathieson. Bad habit of ducking but averaged 3.5 clearances a game this season which would rank him 4th at our club (behind only Watson, Heppell and Merrett). Only 20 years old and apparently still uncontracted for next season. Great mates with Parish.

4 Likes

Just checked the stats to see whether I was talking ■■■■, which is always a risk. Pretty much what I expected. Tyson’s bad with the ball but better at everything else.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=2306&pid2=3641&fid1=S&fid2=S

Trade whisperer claiming a surprise link between Essendon and Aaron Hall.

6 Likes

24 months later

2 Likes

Yep his surname and our indoor facility could be considered the same thing,

1 Like

Both don’t have a high opinion of Bluey McKenna