Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

So there’s a possibility that one game will be an actual double-header with the AFL.

That was a lot of orchestrated fuss over nothing…

(Now working on the big clash thread. I note Crazyburn has been dumped.)

1 Like

Vs Geelong May 5th is the pencilled in possibility.

I did enjoy our last double header with Geelong: we beat them by 100 or so at Docklands.

Crazyburn dumped but 2 games
at Werribee.

Also, big battery required at another triple header, Dreamtime Super Saturday 25/5

Not sure why the VFLW are playing Fark Carlton on a Thursday at noon… I’m going to assume the EFC website is wrong.

[EDIT: it was.]

The VFLW otherwise play every game but one on Saturdays.

Also, our VFLW team is not playing GWS on July 13.

Probably because GWS do not actually have a team in the VFLW.

EFC pls.

2 Likes

Full summary of the VFLW/VFLM/AFL syncing and clashing is up:

We’d pushed for a few more curtain raisers and it had looked likely in the provisional draw that we might get 2 or 3, hopefully the one pencilled in at the G gets formalised in the new year.
Certainly a much better draw for us compared to last season regardless of curtain raisers.

5 Likes

Jordan to lead VFL Bombers in 2019

Callum O’Connor

VFL senior coach Dan Jordan will lead the VFL Bombers for a second season. (Photo: AFL Media)

Essendon has confirmed its VFL coaching line-up for the 2019 season.

Senior coach Dan Jordan has been reappointed after taking the Bombers to the preliminary final in his first season while midfield coach Ben Patrick has signed on for a second season.

Former Essendon midfielder Ricky Dyson will take over the position of forward coach vacated by Nick Daffy. Dyson, who came to Essendon with pick 44 in the 2003 national draft and played 112 matches for the Bombers from 2004 to 2012, returns to The Hangar following a premiership-winning stint at the Bundoora Bulls in the Northern Football League.

“When I was asked to come back I thought it was a really good opportunity and that the timing was right," Dyson said.

"As a player you work really hard to improve yourself, but I think that as a coach it can be even more rewarding putting time and effort into people and seeing them achieve their goals.

“I guess that’s why I do enjoy coaching and I’m looking forward to doing it at Essendon. I’m really big on relationships and putting a lot of time into the players and showing belief in them and helping them find their full potential.”

View Essendon’s 2019 VFL fixture

The departure of Wayne Schultz to the VFL Women’s program opened the position of backline coach. That role has been filled by former Essendon VFL vice-captain and development coach Matt Firman, who spoke with excitement about being an integral part of the Bombers’ 2019 VFL program.

“To have actually been a player at Essendon as well and have a background into the systems and the expectations is a great thing," Firman said.

Firman was drafted to Essendon with pick 35 in the 2005 rookie draft but never played a game. After hanging up the boots at VFL level and travelling for two years, he returned to The Hangar in 2015 in the role of VFL development coach.

“My role was to get first- and second-year players who were coming from local footy or hadn’t been a part of a VFL system before up to speed with Essendon’s game plan and what the expectations were and what the structures were," he said.

Ahead of his second season at the helm, Dan Jordan said the VFL program was ready to benefit from the contributions of Dyson and Firman.

“Ricky’s a great fit. We sounded him out and he was really keen to get back involved in the program and we’re really happy to have him on board," Jordan said.

“Firmo’s done a really good job with our development group in the last couple of years. I really like what he’s brought to the program for the last couple of years. We thought it was great for his progression to get him to coach a line and he’s really excited about the opportunity.”

2 Likes

Lost some players, got no new ones yet.

Out: Trent Crosbie (Port Melbourne), Nick Hind (St Kilda), Tom Simpson (Coburg), Joel Ottavi (Williamstown)

In side news, HAMS to Old Xaverians, Coburg has dropped Tom Wallis and lost Sean Gregory to Williamstown, ■■■■ is gone from Collingwood but we’ll still get to laugh at his name being censored at Melbourne, and Port Melbourne have brought in EVERYONE (including Ben Jolley) but dropped Strachan.

EDIT: corrected.

4 Likes

I read it as Gregory going to Willy.

1 Like

Willie to Port Melbourne?

That’s big.

He’s finally free.

7 Likes

The reverse Billy Swan…heightened when Billy kicked the longest goal of his life to beat Port in the granny.

writes post, tries to shorten sentence, oops.

OUT: Boyse

Per Moonee Valley Leader, will be full-time at Doutta Stars under HARDINGHAM.

2 Likes
10 Likes

You can’t give those steak knives away.

2 Likes

Now we just need to have Shaneye back in the fold!

1 Like

Welcome back Kurt.

But I draw the line at that hussy pick #48.