MLB 2024

The Royals have had a refreshingly solid start to the season. Have been waiting for it to fall in a heap but not sure it’s going to happen.

Thought Jack did well on debut today. Be nice if the local media here gave 2 craps though

1 Like

Please explain! Haven’t been following who Jack is!

Braves season gets worse. Acuna’s gone down with his second ACL to go with Strider’s Tommy John and Riley and Murphy muscle problems.

After all the 40+ homer seasons last year, culminating with an immediate exit in the playoffs, the only hitter holding his end up is Ozuna and Chris Sale is starring.

Six games behind the Phils and will need a reprise of the 2021 season to come back.

Jack O’Loughlin
24yo LHP from Adelaide and came through junior baseball here made his debut for the A’s today after being added to their roster.
Has been playing Triple-A and yet to play Double-A but played in the big time today.
Pitched 3 innings and did well so hopefully he pushes on as those that know him reckon he is a ripping lad with a great work ethic

1 Like

Can’t be that good of a bloke if he’s from Adelaide…

Jokes aside, he threw really well in the Baseball Classic and was the starting pitcher in the game where we knocked over South Korea. Great to see him get a chance in the Bigs.

Angel Hernandez is RETIRING, effective tomorrow.

And there was much rejoicing.

3 Likes

Giants have won 9 of 11. This is quite surprising.

1 Like

Braves are losing every series, and with 6 of their fielders and 2 catchers on long-term contracts, I’m not sure what they can do at the trade deadline like they did in 2021, bringing in Rosario, Soler, Duvall and Pedersen. Even Fried and Sale, the two reliable pitchers, lost their most recent outings.

Ozuna is the only one with more than 10 HRs and 5 of them hit 40+ last season.

Cue in the rack. Try out the young pitchers.

One of the very, very best to ever do it.

GQZbh3gX0AAGYVI

4 Likes

Yeah, absolute superstar

1 Like

Champion.

1 Like

And have promptly won 5 of the next 6. A couple by 2-0 or 2-1.

I have said before that the most important decisions in baseball - the ones on which everything else depend - are not subject to review.

Yet these are the ones that are most subjective and can quite easily be seen to be wrong.

Don’t know if @DonMania or any others saw this game, but in the SF v Cubs game the home plate umpire was so one-sided and so wrong he could have got a job as an AFL maggot. He consistently struck out Giants players despite the ball being 6" outside the strike zone. On at least one occasion, he gave a walk to a Cub despite the ball being clearly inside the strike zone. TBF he also made a couple of calls against the cubs but those were early in the count. The Giants eventually won, but they did it tough.

MLB has the technology to automatically call balls/strikes. FFS, they can even count the number of rotations the ball makes before it reaches the batter, and make instantaneous calls on the type of pitch.

I think a tennis-style challenge system for balls and strikes might be workable - something where the machine is cued up at every pitch and a batter or pitcher can make a quick appeal.

I was not watching that game but saw the ‘highlights’ as well as a number of tweets. Absolutely insane calls and just unbelievably one sided! Robo umps can’t come soon enough. Bloody hell, they can just take a leaf out of cricket’s book!

1 Like

Sad, sad day in the Bay! I have been to a few games where he was present in the audience and the love for him by the old school Giants fans was something else!

I remember David Cone pitching a shutout or a perfect game in Yankee Stadium once.

6 inches was an understatement…18 inches at times.

And there’s a bald New York umpire with an Italian surname…pray that you don’t have him in a Mets game. The look of shock on a runner standing at second was straight out of a horror movie. Batter was three-quarters of the way to first.

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day :rofl:

3 Likes

Legend!

1 Like

Huge few days for the Dbacks against the Dodgers. Probably should have won game one but will be happy with the series win. Hopefully a turning point, especially now that they’ve got lots of players coming back.