Most Improved 2014 & Who Will Break Out in 2015?

I'd assume with any fringe player it's equal parts the club and the player's manager waiting to see what happens in the trade period (not for the same reasons, obviously).

Jackson Merrett needs to add intensity to his game.  Too often in 2014 he's looked happy just to go along with the flow as a near on field spectator. 

O'Brien's been solid in the VFL this year from the little I've seen, but do people think he's got the skill set at AFL level?

We have enough slow midfielders

O’brien doesn’t quite have the tricks, a rather average, rounded player, nothing stands out, another mid who is slowish, last thing we want to add to our current midfield. Assume he is contracted for 2015 otherwise would be at risk. Not a bad player, as had performed ok a vfl level, just don’t think there is a spot at the moment, especially with aims to get Melksham, Browne, Jerret, Glesson, Ashby who I really like, games at AFL next season.

Kommer will be back. Expect big things.

Kommer when fit is best 22 easily

Edit: oops wrong thread

Best 22 you say?

Ashby for me - Looks a very solid and composed player - Expect him to chalk up 100+ games - Needs to address his kicking.

Browne has enough ability but can never get on the park. 

Myers will go up a level.

Carlisle to kick 50+

Zerret

Hams

Browne

Dangleish

Jackson Merrett needs to add intensity to his game.  Too often in 2014 he's looked happy just to go along with the flow as a near on field spectator. 

He's the obvious break out player next year for me because he quite obviously has the ability, good skills and disposal, the smarts and good pace.

He obviously had some problem and went off the boil. But if he gets his head right, he can do it.

Pears is my hope against hope for a (nother) break out year. If he gets his body right, he obviously had plenty of ability.

Kommer is the other. He'd be f ing handy in the forwardline, applying defensive pressure and getting in people's faces.

Melk too. Get your head right kid, take the burn you feel from being dropped and use that to work hard over summer, come back and kick everyone's ■■■

Pears is still only 23, certainly there is hope.

Pears is 24 and a half and his age doesn't really matter anyway as he has only played 40 games in the last 5 seasons, and even when he did play in 2013 he looked nowhere near the player he was. It's not 2009.

KAV, NOB and Pears still have one more year on their contract. So pre much, do or die in 2015 for all three.

I'd keep NOB before Kav and I'd have both ahead of DVU, Pears, Jetta & Hardie (just to start with).

Not sure where they see him, I don't really see why he'd be anywhere near the chopping block, most signs have been positive. Surely we have to recognise (if not immediately reward) strong VFL form from youngsters.

I think Alex Browne will burst on to the scene and be best 22 come the season's end.

He has the body/pace to be the outside runner/winger we desperately need (similar to isaac smith)

for those of you who have forgotten about mr brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhP8MDh8n4Y

(start at 0:30)

^ gumby in the above vid makes me sad.

If you're talking truly "most improved", i.e. output is substantially better this year compared to last; Colyer is the clear winner.  Hurls/Hooker/Hepps/Bags all had good years last year and while this year has been even better for them, Colyer has had to come from so far back to be a 22 lock.  I can't even imagine him out of the team now.

Next year, game time permitting, we'll see an even bigger step up from Zerrett.

Colyer easily the most improved. Hope O'Brien gets a shot at it and steps up next year.