NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

hell no to cp3.

Talk of Simmons not playing World Cup now

nooooo

How come?

I see Zach Randolph, Al Harrington and Josh Childress have purchased a stake in the SE Melbourne Phoenix which is great for the NBL

Rich Paul announced it. My guess is if itā€™s come from his agent. Itā€™s something to do with his contract that they are negotiating.

3 Likes

What he should be doing is putting all his time and effort into being able to hit a 3 every once in a while.

Iā€™m so excited to go to these games next month and players keep dropping out by the second :joy:

This is really disappointing.

Not knowing exactly how it works but is the a chance Ben is looking at playing for the US one day?

Back in the 90s, there was a rule that if heā€™s played for Australia before, then I donā€™t think he can play for the USA.
Simmons has played for Australia previously.
Iā€™m not sure if they still have that rule though.

how about a standard jump shot from the elbow !

I might be wrong but thought that there was a rule for dual citizens or something where if you havenā€™t played for 3 years you can switch.
I might be way off the mark but itā€™s disappointing none the less

There is current speculation that he might not play in the World Championships.

How has this become speculation that he might want to play for the US.

Iā€™ve never heard or seen any indication from him that he wants to do that.

2 Likes

Seems that basically, if you are a Rich Paul client. You are fine tuning yourself for the new season and nothing else.

No unnecessary risk to pick up an injury.

Disappointing but it makes sense.

I guess heā€™s not coming to Essendon anytime soonā€¦

Simmons agrees to staggering $242 million deal

July 16, 2019 ā€” 7.26am

Ben Simmons has agreed to a five-year, $US170 million ($A242 million) contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers in the richest deal ever by an Australian athlete.

The Athletic , citing Simmonsā€™ agent Rich Paul, was the first to report on Monday (Tuesday AEST) that he had accepted the offer.

0:21

Simmons signs $A242M NBA contract

Ben Simmons has signed a $A242 million five-year contract extension with his NBA team, the Philadelphia 76ers.

The team and Paul have been working out details since July 2. The maximum extension was originally believed to be $US168.2 million, yet itā€™s actually higher than $US170 million due to the new salary cap projections.

The extension, which begins during the 2020-21 season, could pass $US200 million if Simmons makes the All-NBA team this season.

Simmons is a triple-double machine and one of the NBAā€™s young superstars, so extending his contract was an easy decision for the ownership group and front office, despite criticism from some over elements of his game, predominantly the lack of a reliable jumpshot.

The 22-year-old averaged 16.9 points, 8.8 rebounds and 7.7 assists last season as the Sixers lost in the second round of the playoffs to eventual champions Toronto. He had 10 triple-doubles this past season and now has 22 for his career.

Ben Simmons has formally agreed to a record-breaking contract extension, according to his agent.

Ben Simmons has formally agreed to a record-breaking contract extension, according to his agent.AP

He joins Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson as the only NBA players with at least 10 triple-double in each of their first two seasons.

Doubt still hangs over whether the Melbourne-born NBA All-Star will play for Australia later this year at the World Cup in China and in Melbourne and Perth exhibition games.

It was Paul who shocked Australian sports fans on the weekend when he told ESPN that Simmons was ā€œdoubtfulā€ to play for Australia at the World Cup in August-September.

Related Article

Matthew Dellavedova is back in Melbourne to train with the Boomers squad ahead of the FIBA World Cup.

His absence would be a major blow to the Boomersā€™ hopes of claiming a medal in China in September and to huge crowds of Australian fans planning to watch him play exhibition games with the Boomers.

The Boomers will play a powerful US squad twice in front of more than a combined 100,000 fans at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne in August.

Simmons was also set to play for the Boomers twice in Perth against a strong Canadian squad before jetting out to China.

The Boomers are yet to win a medal at a World Cup or Olympics, but with Simmons spearheading a team laden with Australian NBA players including Patty Mills, Andrew Bogut, Joe Ingles, Matthew Dellavedova, Aron Baynes and Jonah Bolden, the drought appeared set to be broken.

On June 23, 2016, Simmons became the first No. 1 pick taken by the Sixers since 1996, when they took Allen Iverson out of Georgetown.

View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

Bleacher Report :heavy_check_mark: @BleacherReport

$170M. Five years.

Ben Simmons just got paid, per @ShamsCharania

3:38 AM - Jul 16, 2019

3,728 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

The 208cm, 104kg point guard missed the entire 2016-17 season through injury, but hit the floor the following season to be named 2018 rookie of the year and then Australiaā€™s first ever All-Star in 2018-19.

2 Likes

Can I get a refund??
FMD. No Curry, no LeBron, no Durant (injured)ā€¦ now maybe no Harden and NO SIMMONS?

1 Like

NBA franchises hate players doing these exhibition games/represent nation outside of Olympics and are selfish. Most likely told them ā€œYou are not doing itā€.

Simmons already pulled out of representing Australia at the World Cup. ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  selfish money hungry prick.

Expect the big wigs at the 76ā€™ers to tighten screws and limit his minutes or tell him to pull out of the exhibition games.

Donā€™t forget where you came from.

Iā€™m on the fence here. Whilst I feel sorry for the punters that have forked out their hard earned to see these blokes in action if I was a coach of a side no way would I let my players play in meaningless exhibition matches. You see in the EPL all the time and Fergus was notorious for not even letting his players go to some Euro or WC qualifiers. At the end of the day the club pretty much owns you with the amount they invest in you

Harden has withdrawn from it too.

Watch the American B team vs Boomers! Sounds so appealingā€¦

@Aceman I understand it, but just donā€™t like it from a personal P.O.Vā€¦ Being an Aussie you want to see him play live. I couldnā€™t necessarily care about the American side, but I just think when the opportunity comes, you should fight tooth and nail to represent your country.

Harden has only pulled out of the World Cup hasnā€™t he? Not the exhibition games?