NBA 2018/19 Ben Simmons is ROTY. MEGA THREAD!

People calling people Morons for paying for something “they should have known wasn’t going to be as advertised”. Is a odd battle to take up.

7 Likes

So basically, if I can’t see what I paid for (as in a clear view of the game, not who is or isn’t playing), I should just suck it up and be grateful that these millionaires took some time from their holidays to come to Melbourne and collect my money? OK.

4 Likes

Agree, an idiotic argument from Ant there. As I said (not sure if he read it based on his response), regardless of the line-ups trotted out by both countries, if you pay top whack for courtside seats, you expect a decent view of the action. That clearly was not the case, people have every right to kick up a fuss and demand a refund. I get that NBA players don’t make it to these shores often, so kudos to the ones who didn’t bail, but that point is immaterial to people forking out their heard earned and not being able to see what they paid for.

3 Likes

That’s not an image of Marvel Stadium. It is impossible to tier the seats on the ground unless you want to stop people on the level 1 stadium seats to be blocked. Youl would have to excavate the whole playing surface and create a pit. It’s common sense. Now obviously the organisers are at fault and completely stupid and owe the fans an apology, but fans also have to take some responsibility for not thinking it through.

Impossible? No.
Lower capacity? Certainly.

1 Like

Ive been to many basketball games (3 trips to the US for 6 NBA games), games at rod laver and hisense (nbl/boomers/Team USA 2000, and1).
Never had any issues with sightlines.

This was my ‘view’ of the game

8 Likes

Thats a ■■■■ view.

4 Likes

That was my view so I went and sat on the mini tier near the bar. Perfect view and close to the bar.

Peculiar.

I do get it smooth but I also don’t begrudge it.

I would have felt ripped off if I paid for courtside and at one stage I thought about it. But I also thought $1500 bucks could get me to LA to see Lebron at a proper game.

At any live event there are inherent risks. Bands don’t perform well, your team gets beat by 100 points. So it’s always a crapshoot. I have no idea what the promoter promised in terms of court side views but yes you are correct to assume you can see!

I’m just glad they came and I had a good time. I had a fairly measured expectation and was happy just to have a beer and soak in the atmosphere.

3 Likes

how so?

To think $1500 buying you a bunnings garden chair with almost zero view of anything is anything more than a disgraceful rort.

2 Likes

Tickets would have been double for heavier chairs.
There are limitations around weight when building structures on the grass at Marvel.

To bring in next level structure costs $$$$$. It’s the same setup for every event there. It’s to protect the grass so it’s ok for the weekend.

We could easily had this event go elsewhere. I’m glad it ended up here.

Are you connected to the promoter?

I don’t feel sorry for people who can afford to squander $1500 on an exhibition game. It’s just a round of drinks for their entourage.

god no.

I just know some stuff about events.

I’ve behind the scenes of a few larger productions and understand the costs.
FIBA and Basketball USA would have had certain requests. Mostly around insurance. Remember Kemba is worth $150 million.

There are no other games at Marvel this weekend… or next weekend, and it won’t be used for finals.

Wow that’s terrible!

How lucky are we? If this had gone to Sydney or Brisbane, we’d have had to watch it on TV. And we might have actually seen the game!

Not to mention, state government money went into this.

1 Like

The TV angles were really weird too because the cameras were so far away. The backboard was at almost 90 degree angles instead of 45 when the camera is normally so much closer.