NBN - should I stay or should I go?

Have they said what the cost is? I have 50% of a big IQ3 disk filled and it’s there at my leisure. Not sure I’d upgrade unless they have a transfer path.

Peasant internet

No idea on the box cost, but for the service it just requires you to either have a platinum, or sports HD package. I have sports HD so for me it’s free. If people don’t, then they have to update their subscription. And I too have a lot on the disk. Mind you, probably 85 - 90% of it I could just download again if needs be.

I just noticed yesterday my IQ3 has updated itself to handle 4K. In the program menu now, where there was once a group for HD, there is now 4K and HD. So I am ready to rock and roll. Also, in the settings menu, under advanced/hardware details, it now lists native resolution as 2160p

OT but is there actually a discernible difference in PQ at normal seating distances versus 1080p?

1 Like

Between 4K and 1080p? Certainly is.

2 Likes

Yeah, theyre the business. Top tier FTTN here, farkn flying

I’ll get home Monday night. I’ll have a look then.

You got weekend leave?

Probatey stuff and an old farts do at Windy Hill where we old fogies reminisced about Albert Thurgood’s first game, and that first high mark taken by Charlie Pearson, and those young whipper-snappers like Frank Maher and Charlie Hardy in the 20s.

1 Like

How bigs the screen tho Boot? I reckon it’s need to be 55 inch plus to see a difference

I just assumed you were at “George’s Awesome 21st” party in the other room.

I’ve got a headache just thinking about going to a 21st. Luckily, my youngest nephew or niece was 21 last year, so there are no more 21sts on my horizon.

This was a brunch for life members (Hugh Mitchell was there), bequest members and 60+ years members, which i achieved this year. Dan Jordan and Harvs spoke, then Zaka, BJ and Hooksey. Nothing surprising to report.

1 Like

55 inch, viewed from approx 7 feet.

1 Like

Pffft! 65” for the win.

IQ3 was the dumbest decision we made. Laggy piece of ■■■■. IQ2 from, what, 2006? Performed better. That’s Foxtel in a nutshell.

hey everyone, Im currently an Optus Cable Broadband customer - get around 12 - 13 Mbps during evening peak times, more like 20 - 21 during weekdays (when we dont even use it).

NBN FTTC is finally available in my suburb of Pascoe Vale 3044. Looking at a 50Mbps plan, unlimited. We are 2 adults and 2 children running a laptop, multiple iPads, Netflix and various connected devices such as Foxtel, Smart TV, home theatre reciever, Chromecasts and I need a decent router that will handle our household for now. I may even upgrade to a 100Mbps plan later on.

Not the easiest question to answer, but I’m really unsure who to go with. Have heard:

Optus: really bad reviews about their included wi fi router (they only have one)
Telstra: mainly good, but at $90 a month for average 40Mbps and unlimited its pricier than others.
TPG: Horrible online reviews
iiNet: Horrible online reviews

Anyone in the area have any experiences they can share?

Aussie Broadband are apparently really good.

2 Likes

I’m with iiNet, and have absolutely zero complaints.
Certainly not the cheapest, but their service, should you require something is superb.
And we have laptops, and iPads, and phones, and Foxtel, and Chromecasts, and smart tv’s etc.

Would suggest however, that whoever you go with with all that connected, buy a top shelf router yourself.

Not personally, but a mate likes my republic nbn Internet. Can you get them?

thanks for that. I suspect I’ll need to upgrade to a better router eventually, our youngest is only 18 months so she’ll be more and more online soon. I suspect our number of connected devices will increase too.

what speed plan are you on and what speeds do you typically achieve?

1 Like