New Blockbuster - Country Game vs Geelong Round 4 (thanks to Sheeds)

Yay, I’m gonna be in the country during NAB Cup time and half my family follows Geelong. Shep road trip!

country game, played in the heart of the city. yep...

Don’t think we need to raise awareness for the country folk in the country, think they are pretty aware of the issues facing them whereas alot of folk in the city are oblivious to it.

Will the City Game be played in the country?

Baaaaaaaa.

I’m really looking forward to this one. But, it is incumbent on us to turn up in our droves. Our crowds towards the end of last year were appalling so it does show that even we aren’t immune to a drop-off in attendances despite being one of the bigger clubs. I’d love to see 85-90K there for this given Sheeds has lobbied hard for it. We owe it to him and the club to make sure we turn out in big numbers!

The blame for the ■■■■ last 5 years we’ve had can be put squarely on the plump shoulders of Jay Neagle for playing on. What the hell was he thinking.

Apparently there will be a pre-match motorcade except the retired players will ride cows around the boundary.

What a load of shiit

The other clubs want to steal Anzac day off us now.

Dreamtime against the tigers has been a success

The Western District farmers are doing it tough right now and you watch them turn up to support this theme.

Due to drought cattle farmers prices have dropped 25% at the geelong stockyards in the last month.

Geelong Hamilton the Mallee and Wimmera will support the game,even though thier dams are empty.

The average age of an aussie farmer is 58 ,young people need to be encouraged to work the land so we have food in our fridge.

Sheeds doesnt just think he does.

My only concern with this game is that it is in round 4. I’d much prefer to have another blockbuster late in the season - ANZAC day and Dreamtime already seem like they’re too close together.

Apparently there will be a pre-match motorcade except the retired players will ride cows around the boundary.
mooootorcade?
I'm a country member. (I'll get my coat...)

Yeah, we remember.

Have to confess, when I saw the thread title I thought the game would be played in Ballarat or somewhere.
Of course that would be silly against Geelong, but it would be a nice idea against GWS.
But they might not be keen on the extra commute from Tulla…only an hour though.
Anyway…

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds about as exciting as a Melbourne vs Port game at Etihad (outside the fact we are playing in it)?

Blockbuster fatigue?

I certainly have.
It won’t be long before there is no such thing as just a footy match. Everything will be themed, and blockbustered, and pre booked, and bring on the entertainers, blah blah blah.
I’d kinda like to just have the footy back.

My only question is how will they be opening up the stands to allow me to park my largely orange, but with one black door, HQ ute - replete with couch, kelpie & 3 eskies - up against the fence??

Mate, if it doesn’t have an R M Williams bull horn sticker, oversized CAT mud flaps, and a ‘no root no ride’, and/or ‘vehicle frequently sideways’ sticker, no way they’ll let you anywhere near the fence!

And rightly so …

Fog, you can’t joke because 90% of us will think this is actually true and club endorsed.

Blockbuster fatigue?

I certainly have.
It won’t be long before there is no such thing as just a footy match. Everything will be themed, and blockbustered, and pre booked, and bring on the entertainers, blah blah blah.
I’d kinda like to just have the footy back.

Hi Mr Malthouse :wink:

I know we need to use Football to raise awareness for certain things. I love ANZAC day (we have bastardised it be a round) as well womens round where they focus alot on breast cancer (could probably do with helping raise awareness for domestic violence)

But you are right, we seem to have a round for everything now EVERY YEAR. Seems a bit over the top.

That being said, I like this idea and I hope the country folk think it is a good idea as well. I am not from the country but know a fair few family who are and have been doing it very tough in terms of crops.

My only concern with this game is that it is in round 4. I'd much prefer to have another blockbuster late in the season - ANZAC day and Dreamtime already seem like they're too close together.

This is why I think this is an AFL cash grab. If it is late in the season and we are down the bottom they won’t get the same crowd so they cash in on teams fans pre-season optimism as that usually ends by round 9*

*pfft, dreamers

Should be able to pay enough to park your ute around the boundry.

What happened to the Eureka game. North and Richmond I think it was. I think these things happen better organically rather than manufactured like this

Free tractor parking.