New Board Member - Andrew Welsh

7 Likes

Yeah, the fact that he has to stand for re election sold it for me. Members get a chance to give him their feedback on his performance.

It’s amazing that other threads go through 10,000 posts without ever having anything as good as this in them and here you’ve done it within the first 40. Absolute belter.

2 Likes

Who he ‘replaces’ on the board is just referring to which vacant seat he’s going into rather than the role. He can go into Simon’s seat and still become football director.

Simon was up for re-election this year with Andrew Muir so that seat was going to election whether it was empty or whether the board had already put someone into it, they chose the latter meaning the Andrew’s will both run as incumbents this year.

7 Likes

and we all know wellman’s seat is cuz’s

I shat myself for a second reading that headline before seeing the pic

8 Likes

damn straight

Really good appointment. Good to see you back Andrew

Looks like Welsh shat himself too

3 Likes

Nah I think he just saw Michael Quinn running towards him about to tackle him

2 Likes

I’m feeling a bit more positive after watching the video the club put out. It’s good that he’s realistic about where we’re at.

1 Like

For those people saying “great” or “appalling” over the appointment of Welsh for the board of directors… please consider that the role of the Board is largely a fiduciary, management and goal setting one.

The constitution of the EFC lays this out: https://resources.essendonfc.com.au/aflc-ess/document/2020/12/06/99c5647a-abf7-4be0-b4d4-64df88690cd7/EFCConstitution.pdf

Further, the AFL/ASC outlines the role of a board/committee as:
Role of the board/committee

A committee will make decisions on behalf of the club and will take on duties to ensure everything runs smoothly. Its purpose is to serve the club members. The role of the board/committee is to (but not limited to):

• Set objectives, define policy and develop strategic direction
  • Incorporate good governance and ethical standards into daily activities
  • Monitor the performance of the organisation against the agreed goals
  • Manage communication with members and other key stakeholders including the State Sporting Organisation, government, sponsors, etc…
  • Ensure all risks are identified and managed appropriately
  • Clearly identify board and management responsibilities
  • Ensure compliance with policies, laws and regulations
  • Emphasise and concentrate on long-term goals
  • Approve, monitor and review the financial performance of the organisation
  • Drive the club culture and ensure expectations are meet
  • Ensure the sporting, competitive and social needs of members are met

Though not clearly stated above, the board is responsible for employing key staff, setting tasks and job descriptions, and managing and monitoring performance of staff. The board is ultimately the employer for all staff, though day to day management SHOULD be left to upper management staff and good governance procedures and contracts.

Input into the football department, team selection and coaching is not a part of the board’s role.

So will Welsh be a good board member? Dunno. But lets wait and see … though it frightens me every time I see a board member with a footy in their hands.

1 Like

So does that mean come election time he will register here, post once and never be seen again?

1 Like

Does anyone actually know if this is a good appointment or not? Was he given the role or did he go through a process like our next coach is currently going through?

well start a campaign on here to vote in one of the other candidates, it’s the only way things will change.

Does everyone here not understand the process??

If I see a “Members First” email come to my inbox, I do not want to have already read the first ten posts beforehand! Even worse, these clowns at the AFL, announcing on facebook before said email has dropped to said inbox.

No wonder this club is a shambles.

Any important announcements should be made via flash mob.

1 Like

Also Welsh, as he is on the Board until the expiry of Madden’s term, which expires at the same time as that of Muir and is up for election/re-election at the same time ?*
* what I understood from the earlier post of @Paul_Cousins

All this talk about board appointments and the regulatory process is all well and good … but … HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE RAPTOR?

1 Like

Been vocal about his unhappiness with the club for a few years now.

Let’s see how this translates at board level. Sometimes easier to take potshots from the cheap seats (hello Blitz) than get down and dirty. Getting on the board itself is a good start though.