New Book 'We Are Essendon'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/new-book-we-are-essendon-details-supporters-suffering/news-story/ce9cafedf960942375fdf6c08dae415b

ESSENDON supporters suffered mental health issues and relationship break-ups as their club struggled through the four-year supplements saga.
In his new book ‘We Are Essendon’, author Rick Edwards tells his and others’ stories of despair. He says ‘saga anxiety’ was a real problem amongst Essendon diehards.
“Of the nine fans profiled in the book, at least two suffered mental health issues because of the strain of the endless stream of negative news coming out about the club they love,” Edwards said.
“Add that to my own relationship breakdown I talk about in the book, then that’s almost a third who suffered mental health problems. So that could well mean a third of Essendon supporters – I’m talking about tens of thousands – were in the same boat.”
Edwards said seeing 34 of the players go through the supplements ordeal led fans to depression and anxiety which they carried into their workplaces and homes.
“In the timeline in the book, I identified 68 major events over the four years of the turmoil,” he said. “Essendon fans were constantly reminded of this, there was no escape. It was in every paper, it was on every radio and TV news bulletin. Worse still, they were ridiculed wherever they went for following the Bombers.”
Edwards said the book celebrated the resilience shown by most of the Essendon fans, who despite finding it a challenging for four years decided to stick with the club.
“I find it a testament to the loyalty of the Bomber fans that 57,577 could sign up in 2016 when basically they weren’t expected to win a game,” he said.
‘We Are Essendon’ includes indepth interviews with Brent Stanton and David Zaharakis, who went through the saga from different vantage points: one suspended and one free to play. The book also reveals some of the ingredients of the ‘New Essendon’ built on shrewd recruiting decisions in the past four years.
“For the first time since 2012, Essendon supporters can go to the game knowing that whatever the players earn they can keep. We can’t be penalised any more,” Edwards said.
‘We Are Essendon’ is available from early March via Slattery Media Group or pre-order now https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/we-are-essendon

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/new-book-we-are-essendon-details-supporters-suffering/news-story/ce9cafedf960942375fdf6c08dae415b

ESSENDON supporters suffered mental health issues and relationship break-ups as their club struggled through the four-year supplements saga.
In his new book ‘We Are Essendon’, author Rick Edwards tells his and others’ stories of despair. He says ‘saga anxiety’ was a real problem amongst Essendon diehards.
“Of the nine fans profiled in the book, at least two suffered mental health issues because of the strain of the endless stream of negative news coming out about the club they love,” Edwards said.
“Add that to my own relationship breakdown I talk about in the book, then that’s almost a third who suffered mental health problems. So that could well mean a third of Essendon supporters – I’m talking about tens of thousands – were in the same boat.”
Edwards said seeing 34 of the players go through the supplements ordeal led fans to depression and anxiety which they carried into their workplaces and homes.
“In the timeline in the book, I identified 68 major events over the four years of the turmoil,” he said. “Essendon fans were constantly reminded of this, there was no escape. It was in every paper, it was on every radio and TV news bulletin. Worse still, they were ridiculed wherever they went for following the Bombers.”
Edwards said the book celebrated the resilience shown by most of the Essendon fans, who despite finding it a challenging for four years decided to stick with the club.
“I find it a testament to the loyalty of the Bomber fans that 57,577 could sign up in 2016 when basically they weren’t expected to win a game,” he said.
‘We Are Essendon’ includes indepth interviews with Brent Stanton and David Zaharakis, who went through the saga from different vantage points: one suspended and one free to play. The book also reveals some of the ingredients of the ‘New Essendon’ built on shrewd recruiting decisions in the past four years.
“For the first time since 2012, Essendon supporters can go to the game knowing that whatever the players earn they can keep. We can’t be penalised any more,” Edwards said.
‘We Are Essendon’ is available from early March via Slattery Media Group or pre-order now https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/we-are-essendon

Yep that’s right, 57,577 signed up in 2016 and if you were one of that number then in 50 years time (if you’re still around) you can say you were there. I can sense that this book’s going to bring some much needed perspective to the past four years and I’m very much looking forward to reading it.

What’s the best email to get to one of the admins? Publisher wants me to pass it on.

What's the best email to get to one of the admins? Publisher wants me to pass it on.

[email protected]

What's the best email to get to one of the admins? Publisher wants me to pass it on.

[email protected]

RIMFYA

Update tonight:

Update tonight: https://twitter.com/bomberricko/status/831751785903771653

Not according ot Fat Prick Smith, it isn’t. It is still open season.

Just so fans know there are player interviews with this book and also some EFC staff. Dodoro has a whole chapter discussing how they came about dealing with the saga as far as drafting/recruiting etc.

I’ll be on SEN tomorrow at 1.30 yakking about the book, guys.

Am I in your book?

Am I in your book?
Am I in your book?

Yes, what did you think the microphones and cameras were for when we caught up for coffee?

Looking forward to seeing your movie, too.

Looking forward to seeing your movie, too.
It's the movie BJ has always wanted to make.
Am I in your book?
Am I in your book?

Yes, what did you think the microphones and cameras were for when we caught up for coffee?

"Thanks for the invite Rick, put this in your book:
1st round pick: Sibosado
2nd: Manson
3rd: Clayton Collard
4th: Puopolo "

Aaron SWEET

Mods, feel free to delete but here’s audio of me talking about the book for 10 mins on SEN with Rohan Connolly. I feel like I am posting far too much about this book!

1 Like

Thanks for posting Begbie (was wondering how the interview went, don’t get SEN here).

Was/you were very good.

(have to say though the lack of awareness by Rohan re other club supporters was strange , or maybe some sports writers really do live in a bubble)

Got my copy this morning and had a sneak read through, mostly skimming, but did manage to read a couple of chapters in full. Can't wait to read it in depth. Photos are awesome - including one of our very own CJohns looking p1ssed off that someone's interrupted his 15 minutes of fame on the megaphone!

The telling is very much from the fan point of view, but there’s also a big section from the player perspective courtesy of Zacka and Stants. Scattered through the book - especially in the Paul Cousins chapter (board member and another Blitzer) - you’ll find a potted summary of the saga, all the AOD9604/TB4 stuff, the vials, Andruska, WADA, … you know the deal. So the book will serve as a record of the saga from the Essendon angle long after we’ve started to forget what got us so angry in the first place.

All in all this is an excellent piece of work, so big congrats to Rick aka Begbie. If you love the club and lived through the saga then you’ll love this book. Here’s the link again https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/we-are-essendon. It’s well worth the price so get into it!!

That’s my … crap there is a lot here and all I have is this silly megaphone

Congrats Rick.

Kobo?

Got my copy this morning and had a sneak read through, mostly skimming, but did manage to read a couple of chapters in full. Can’t wait to read it in depth. Photos are awesome - including one of our very own CJohns looking p1ssed off that someone’s interrupted his 15 minutes of fame on the megaphone!

The telling is very much from the fan point of view, but there’s also a big section from the player perspective courtesy of Zacka and Stants. Scattered through the book - especially in the Paul Cousins chapter (board member and another Blitzer) - you’ll find a potted summary of the saga, all the AOD9604/TB4 stuff, the vials, Andruska, WADA, … you know the deal. So the book will serve as a record of the saga from the Essendon angle long after we’ve started to forget what got us so angry in the first place.

All in all this is an excellent piece of work, so big congrats to Rick aka Begbie. If you love the club and lived through the saga then you’ll love this book. Here’s the link again https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/we-are-essendon. It’s well worth the price so get into it!!