New Book 'We Are Essendon'

Signed?

Just got my copy today

I also think it's good in this case that the publisher gets a kick back too, as it will encourage them to look at other possible publications such as this.

EDIT: any chance of it going on the Play Store?

Yeah don’t think so re Play store. That’s what they tell me. Sorry.

I also think it’s good in this case that the publisher gets a kick back too, as it will encourage them to look at other possible publications such as this.

EDIT: any chance of it going on the Play Store?

Hey Begbie, I know it's not why you wrote the book, but what is the best format to buy that makes sure you get as much of my money as possible?

Hey mate, the answer is it doesn’t matter.

It is available on ITunes right now.
But I think (not confirmed) I’ll have signings organised so you and other are welcome to come to those. Love to meet as many fans and hear their stories too.

Thanks Miss Ellie - I was very touched by what you said.

Gillsy - thanks. Will find out. And yes you are right, this is not a money-making venture for me. My intent was always to self-publish and I had saved money to do that. I just got very, very lucky that the first publisher I sat down with was interested. Credit to Slattery Media Group.

Thanks everyone for your support. Please tell me what you think once you have read it - either here or privately [email protected]

Talk about service. (thank you, thank you Slattery Media Group and Begbie for writing it)

9.am your order is on it’s way.

11.05 am it’s ARRIVED. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The dedication is lovely Begbie, your dad would be proud.

Have only looked at the pics so far, fantastic to be able to put faces to some names here. :slight_smile:

Hey Begbie, I know it’s not why you wrote the book, but what is the best format to buy that makes sure you get as much of my money as possible?

My order is on it’s way. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Looking forward to reading it.

Great interview Rick. Can’t wait to read the book.

Great interview Rick. Can't wait to read the book.

Thanks Katie!

Just ordered my copy.

I’m waiting for a signing session :slight_smile:

Got my copy this morning and had a sneak read through, mostly skimming, but did manage to read a couple of chapters in full. Can't wait to read it in depth. Photos are awesome - including one of our very own CJohns looking p1ssed off that someone's interrupted his 15 minutes of fame on the megaphone!

The telling is very much from the fan point of view, but there’s also a big section from the player perspective courtesy of Zacka and Stants. Scattered through the book - especially in the Paul Cousins chapter (board member and another Blitzer) - you’ll find a potted summary of the saga, all the AOD9604/TB4 stuff, the vials, Andruska, WADA, … you know the deal. So the book will serve as a record of the saga from the Essendon angle long after we’ve started to forget what got us so angry in the first place.

All in all this is an excellent piece of work, so big congrats to Rick aka Begbie. If you love the club and lived through the saga then you’ll love this book. Here’s the link again https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/we-are-essendon. It’s well worth the price so get into it!!

Thanks for your thoughts and support mate

I enjoyed your book Begbie. :slight_smile:

Thank you to all the people you interviewed for sharing their thoughts, emotions and opening their hearts, especially sharing some of their private life, you too (not an easy thing to do). Was chuffed, that a couple interviewed live in my area.

‘A game, and a club, they live, and love.’ (great line Begbie).

Zaka and Stants for their insider view

The football memories were great too, the one from Paul Cousins (one I’d forgotten) re that day at the MCG when Kernahan took a mark and the siren went. My brother and I were sitting in the Northern Stand (first time in the Northern stand) on a beautiful Autumn day. The 2 Carlton princesses sitting in front of us were ecstatic, my brother and I just looked each other unbelieving. When he missed, we just smiled and the princesses then sat there unbelieving. We left feeling good.

Think everyone who reads it will relate.

5 Likes

Still one of my favourite days at the footy Miss Ellie, weirdly given it resulted in a draw. As you say I’m sure everyone has these kinds of memories, I haven’t read Rick’s book yet (but am looking forward to it!) but I’m sure it will be great for that.

1 Like

Was re-reading the HS article on the book and mistakenly decided to have a look at the comments. I thought I’d learned my lesson. Now angry again, and that sick feeling in my gut - the saga continues.

1 Like

Seems from London I’ll need to download it. According to the website Book costs $26.95, postage to UK $39.10. Of course if I thought the $39.10 was going somewhere worthwhile…

The Rage has an extract of the interview with Zaharakis.

And afl.com.au have their own Zaka story