New coach

"I don't want that guy because he had awesome players at his club"

?

Chris_scott_premiership_coach.tif

Keep your pants on, Chris Scott isn’t worthy of a TIF, he’s way more lo-res than that.

That’s a lot of areas Sanderson ‘failed’ in. Too many variables for a club needing surety ./ stability.

Players are always sticking their beaks in where it doesn’t concern them.

Simon Lloyd looks like a good fit for the club given his background and credentials. I think we need a completely fresh approach and would be happy to take the ‘risk’ with a first time senior coach. Having said that I won’t be tying myself to a candidate and am more interested in what their strategy will be in terms of the list rebuild which I think needs to be fairly deep.

“And the Crows now have a rival contender in Essendon whose senior players have indicated their strong preference for an older, experienced coach and not a rookie. The majority of the on-field leaders at Essendon have communicated via the club’s football review that the difference between the experienced premiership coach Mark Thompson last year and the inexperienced James Hird was significant.”*

*allegedly

In terms of building the side - I wonder how many of the 2006 side were there befor worsfold started?

Did you bother looking?

2006 was his 5th year of coaching, so it was incredibly fortunate for him to inherent a team that ran on auto pilot for 5 years without him having to build anything.

Cousins was there before him, Judd and cox started the same time he did, and Kerr and the rest came afterwards.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but you don’t need to talk down Worsfold as a coach to make the point. Worsfold most certainly was a good coach. Whether he’s still got it not is the question.

Glass, embley, wirra, cousins, Judd and cox all there before he started coaching. I’m sure there were others too. I am not saying he wasn’t a good coach. I just don’t think he is the savior many think he is. And being an essendon fan living in WA it is very difficult to want to have connections to the eagles at essendon.

Ah, now that makes sense!

FWIW I don’t reckon anybody is building him up to be the saviour, but if we choose to go the experienced coach option over the rookie coach option, then he is really the only choice. (unless we poach an existing coach)

I don’t think Sanderson did much wrong.
Prelim (and a kick from a GF) in his first year, and didn’t have a losing season before being knifed.
While he was there Walker, Danger, Jacobs, Talia, Sloane developed from good kids to genuine elite level players (plus Douglas, Wright, Brodie Smith et al). Dealt with the gigantic ■■■■ sandwich Tippett problem he inherited (and replaced him adequately with Jenkins). Had to deal with the Rendell thing in his first year. Betts has been an amazingly good call.

You’d have to say he left the club in a better position than when he got there. Still young (in age and career wise), has shown he’s at least not terrible, and surely pretty hungry.
I don’t see any reason not to have him on the list.

Here’s a few, from the man himself;

Brenton Sanderson: Why the Adelaide Crows sacked me

Brenton Sanderson •
Geelong Advertiser •
March 31, 2015 12:00PM

MODERN-DAY coaching ­requires modern-day management skills.

On reflection, I made a number of errors at Adelaide, which ultimately cost me my job. It can happen very quickly if not properly identified and adjusted.

In 2012 we took the Crows from a seven-win season and 14th on the ladder to 17 wins and a heartbreaking pre­liminary final loss to even­tual ­premier Hawthorn the next year.

Two seasons later I was sacked after missing the finals by just one win, two years in succession. These are some of the mistakes I made.

1. I didn’t accept a variety of personalities within my staff and couldn’t learn how to get the best out of individuals by promoting two-way open communication. I didn’t listen as much as I should have. I did too much “telling”.

2. Crisis management. A coach must be able to pull a team together and ­allocate specific roles rather than ­attempt to control the situation. The harder it got, the more I tried to do more.

3. You have to learn how to have and deliver the hard conversations. Most importantly, learn how to do this consistently. There is a time to be blunt and clear, but you must always follow it up, preferably within the next 24 hours, and never use sarcasm as a means to get a message across.

4. I was always promoting myself as an “open door ­manager”, but this wasn’t consistent. In challenging times, I shut key people out.

5. Time management. I felt I was always time poor, but it was more likely I wasn’t organised to prioritise and delegate. I found it hard to say no to external obligations too, which I understand is part of the role, but I was reluctant to admit when I was struggling emotionally and physically. The senior coach must not allow himself to burn out.

6. I talked openly too often about finding and identifying the “right people” for certain roles within the club, which I know left certain staff feeling disillusioned.

7. I never really identified a key mentor I could trust to bounce ideas off and talk to when I needed help. When I lost Dean Bailey, I lost an ­important mentor.

8. I didn’t treat my players equally. I spent more time with those executing their roles ­effectively, while neglecting those who needed me most.

Players typically are hard to find when they know they are out of form or on the fringe, so I needed to chase them harder and make this a priority.

There are always 10 to 12 players who are going to play each week, then there are 10 to 12 players who know they aren’t going to play anytime soon.

It’s the 20 players in-­between, who are in and out of the side regularly that you need to spend most time on and with.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/brenton-sanderson-why-the-adelaide-crows-sacked-me/story-fnjuhrq4-1227285860071

results are all that matters.

worsfold has better credentials than any of the other candidates. that isn’t to say that guarantees results but he is at least as good as candidate as any other if not better.

Have to say i find myself giving zero farks atm. Ask me for an opinion about rd 10 next year and with benefit of hindsight i’m sure i’ll know who the best option is.

Worsfold career H&A 53% (41% in finals)
Coach X career h&A 54% (33% in finals). Take out 11 games as a caretaker for a sacked guy and that goes up to 57% H&A.

Same era.

And we all hate coach X and reckon he’s completely terrible.

Hang on, who is coach X, is he available

He’s walking away.
If we put in an offer in the next 7 days though, he may be available.

Senior Coach: John Worsfold OR Stuart Dew Senior Assistant and Forwards Coach: Blake Caracella OR Paul Chapman forwards coach Stoppages and structures coach: Don Pyke Team defensive coach: Matthew Egan Backline coach: Dustin Fletcher Midfield Coach: Brad Sewell Development Coach: Marco Bello Opposition Analyst: Jordan Lewis VFL Coach: Paul Corrigan Director of coaching development (assistants): Mark Harvey Player Welfare - Player Development Manager: Mark Neild Head Conditioning Coach: Rob Spurrs GM Football Operations: Rob Kerr Head of Talent (list and recruiting manager) – Stephen Wells

Out: Hird, Basset (Port), Skipworth (Alice Springs U9’s) , Neil Craig (Fark Carlton), Dodoro (time for a change)
In: Worsfold/Dew, Caracella/Chappy, Pyke (WC), Fletch, Sewell, Bello (HAW), Lewis (HAW) Spurs (SYD), Wells (Geel)
Retain: Ego, Harvs, Neild, Corrigan

Might as well change the red and black aswell.

Why? Because all of the previous Essendon Alumni have been SOOOOOOOO successful? Believe me, as a Coterie member I’ve been to enough functions and know enough people around the club to be royally p***ed off when I see players/football staff not acknowledging the EFC fabric and history…!!

Look guys we got a coterie member. ■■■■■■■ love coterie members. They’re best. All of them are grand.

Don’t be so harsh. This coterie member is offering a few constructive ideas. Like sack the bloke who recruited Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, Zach Merrett, Travis Colyer, Dyson Heppell and Mark Baguley amongst (many) others.

Geez thanks WW…

I know Adrian and have a lot of time for him. BB’s about opinions - my opinion was just that he’s been with the club for quite a while (not in the same role of course) and at times has been hamstrung in decisions. The point was more about fresh ideas - the recruiting recently has been an improvement I was running along the lines of a broader “clean out” as a theme…

And not all Coterie members are tarred with the same brush - but if people want to stereotype, knock yourself out…

I think if someone thinks that someone should move on, it’s nice to hear reasons why. Recruiting has been good in the last few years is a reason to keep him. Vague ideas about clean outs and fresh ideas aren’t specific reasons.

I don’t know him, I don’t know what he’s like or how he operates. But I know that he’s been recruiting well. If we get a couple of dud drafts in a row then I would start to think about whether I thought he should go.

The coteries have a similar reputation to those of property developers who donate to political parties. Buying influence and holding the club back. If you’re not like that then fantastic, keep up the good fight.

Have you ever been to a coterie event? I am not a coterie member, as I am too cheap to pay $5000 or $6000 a season to watch the footy, but have been a guest at many of them on game day and other events. These men and women are just passionate Bomber supporters who kick in their own money in large amounts for the club they love. Some I know cough up shiteloads when asked and don’t make any demands or pedal influence. You are insulting them with your comments and they are not fair.

I am not jealous of any of them and your comments just ooze envy. I go to the footy to wAtch the game, not drink heaps and eat too much, or listen to pre match speakers, though at the Essendonians, Steve Allesio is very funny.

It is their business what they do with their money, but they didn’t sack Hird and won’t pick the new Coach, and I reckon Blitz at much more influence at the last Board elections than any other group.

So get over your pettiness and thank them for keeping the money flowing when we need it., to pay out coaches the farking Board sack.

Thanks BacchusFox - some people support the club in different ways relative to what they can at the time and that should be just fine. Like any group of course there are a couple of muppets in the coteries of course but there are some ripping blokes and girls that do all they can (again relatively) to support the club. On the other hand they’re no different to any supporter - we all support the club in different ways and hopefully collectively that’s what will make us great again.

Through various different business interests at one stage about 10 years ago or so I was also involved with the Demons and Bulldogs coteries and they did a much better job than us. I had a chat to Peter Jackson at the time and told him the club had it’s head firmly up it’s a**e compared to how other clubs support their various supporter groups - we still need to get better at that.

Through the coteries I’ve also been asked to help in some thought leadership around marketing at Essendon and have also provided non - gratis consulting to the sales and membership area.

Like I said - we all do our bit in different ways to support the club - I just don’t appreciate the potting some times here from people who all are aligned behind the same cause of wanting our club we support to keep getting better…in any way it can

Are there anything frothing head cases running for the job? i want to see someone instill a ruthless vicious essendon that breaks opposition teams physically and mentally.

We are already doing that

To ourselves

Worsfeld director of coaching.
Dew/Lloyd/another novice as head coach.

Are there anything frothing head cases running for the job? i want to see someone instill a ruthless vicious essendon that breaks opposition teams physically and mentally.

I’ve never played footy
I have no idea as to what it takes to be a coach at an AFL club
I don’t really know what type of coach Essendon needs
I have no idea how a club should select a coach
I have never met any of the potential new coaches
I have never been in the inner sanctum of a club where any of the potential new coaches have coached
I have no idea about their qualifications, leadership ability or their philosophies on the game
And I have no knowledge about their desire to want the job.

But form my watching of TV and reading Blitz I’m qualified enough to know that we should appoint (in the following order)

Worsfold
Caracella
Lloyd
Bolton
Tudor
Dew
Searle
The other assistants from Hawthorn
Browne (just 'cause he’s Browneeeeeeee - a bloke’s bloke that’s what we need. Somebody who goes about it)

I really rate him and he’s headed to my most hated club.

Anybody else hear Bolton has the Carlton gig?

He has been recommended to the board… they could still stuff it up

I hope they accept him, I don’t rate him.

Head Coach: Sumich
Assistant: Dew
Forward: Jono Browne
Ruck: Monkhorst
Midfield: Ricciouto
Defender: Jakovich

Big coaches box… bring on the salad rolls!

He has been recommended to the board… they could still stuff it up

Il chop the next blokes ■■■■ off who suggests kirk. He can barely finish sentences. Ive seen fence posts with more intelligence

We should pick up said fence posts.

They’re on the board.

I have seen "SWMNBN" a few times not sure what it means.
I don't know but I think

Someone Who Must Not Be Named

She Who Must Not Be Named.

Not naming which witch who must not be named.

I have seen "SWMNBN" a few times not sure what it means.
I don't know but I think

Someone Who Must Not Be Named