Next Generation Academies

One of our NGA prospects Cody Brand has been named in team Dal Santo for the 17 All-Stars game before this years grand final

The versatile tall has improved dramatically since the start of the year

10 Likes

Indigenous or Multicultural?

How tall is he?

1 Like

195cm

2 Likes

I’m struggling to see the disadvantaged minority in there.

Oh, silly me, must be the ginger.

1 Like

I thought NGA meant ‘No Gingers Allowed’ ?

3 Likes

Eligible for this year or next?

Rookie or ND prospect?

1 Like

I’m gonna guess South African going from the picture.

Really impressed with Brand in the final on Sunday, kept Sam De Koning goalless who is a potential top 30 pick. Recommend anyone to go on the Nab League app to see his highlights if you can

8 Likes

Good news. Athletic key defender?

Basketball background?

Not sure on his background but plays more solid than his frame suggests and has those lanky arms to make spoils you wouldn’t think he could make. Really like his use of the ball for a big man he can kick a fairly long way aswell.

He projects as a Cale Hooker type to me, think he will beef up with a few AFL pre-seasons and by the type to take the taller key forwards/resting rucks

5 Likes

Does he look like he could fill out? you know broad shoulders, child bearing hips and such?

If he is of South African descent he will almost certainly fill out based on my in-built stereotypes.

1 Like

Next year’s draft?

2022 looks a ripper. 2 Daveys and Egan looks like he could be decent.

Is he Matthew Egans son?

He’s a NGA kid from Calder

Yes. You have to be 18 on the 31 December of the draft year to be eligible. A quick check confirms Cody’s DOB is 23/5/2002.

So he’s eligible for the 2020 draft.

Thanks

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/cody-brand-to-showcase-talents-on-afl-grand-final-day-in-under17-future-allstars-game-on-mcg/news-story/a40bae7425273d5f0c2e29d55f24ac37

Cody Brand to showcase talents on AFL grand final day in Under-17 Future All-Stars game on MCG

Cody Brand will strut his stuff on the biggest day in Aussie Rules football after being selected in the Under-17 Future All-Star game to be played on the MCG on grand final day.

Ben Higgins , Sunbury Leader

Subscriber only

September 25, 2019 12:00pm

Cody Brand is taking nothing for granted.

After an impressive season with Calder Cannons, the young defender will run out on to the MCG with some of best young talent in Australia in the Under-17 Future All-Stars game on grand final day.

The match provides another chance for the 17-year-old to showcase his talents to the AFL world ahead of the 2020 draft.

Brand is also aligned to Essendon through its Next Generation Academy, giving the Bombers priority access.

However, the Macedon junior is far from complacent, knowing there’s plenty of hard work required if he’s to hear his name called out and achieve his dream.

“I was awfully surprised about the (All-Stars) selection,” Brand said.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Stream binge-worthy shows with the new Foxtel Experience. Over 100 complete drama series

Cody Brand in action for Calder Cannons.

“I’m fortunate enough to be a part of the NGA with my indigenous background.

“They help me develop my (on-field) craft, in the gym but also little tips on diet, mental health, that sort of thing.

“(The draft) is another year away and a lot of hard work has to go into it, but I’m very fortunate to be in this position. I know the job’s not finished yet.”

Brand played 10 NAB League games for Cannons this season, including the team’s three finals, before the campaign finished with a semi-final loss to Sandringham Dragons.

The 195cm defender averaged eight disposals, two marks, two tackles and 2.5 rebound 50s.

Splitting his time between Cannons and Essendon Grammar, Brand said he was pleased with his season and looking forward to 2020.

“I played 10 games due to school footy commitments, it finished on a bit of a sour note, but personally I’ve develop in many ways,” he said.

“It will put me in good stead for my top-age season next year.

“Full-back has been a bit of a change for me, but I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly.

“As my football has developed — playing in the backline, centre half-back at school football — it’s now where I feel comfortable and call it home.”

Brand will suit up for Team Dal Santo in the Futures game, coached by Collingwood premiership player and Vic Country coach Leigh Brown.

Team Dal Santo will also feature Sam Walsh’s brother Henry, Jackson Macrae’s brother Finlay, Sydney academy star Errol Gulden and Northern Knights gun Nik Cox.

Brand was looking forward to the experience and got some timely advice from Essendon NGA coach Heath Hocking.

“I asked him how do I go about it, how do I deal with the nerves, “he said.

“He just said just embrace it and enjoy the lead up and enjoy the game.”

6 Likes

Anyone got an inside word as to where he will go in the draft? Or in the absence of actual knowledge on the subject (Blitz please), anyone keen to hazard a guess?

Getting selected for this game is a good indication. But it’s hard to project where KPPs will end up this far out from the draft.

With a good top-age year KPDs get picked up second round and onwards; unless they are dominant with AFL size and physical attributes, they usually don’t go 1st round