No Changes for the Eagles

I was posted to Fremantle in the mid 90s and was surrounded by Meth Coke supporters, FMD what a pack of fucken ■■■■■ they are.
The most feral ■■■■■ when they win, and sook worse than some of our worst in the game day thread when they lose.
All the fucken actors ■■■■■■ off from W.A. coz footy players got all the acting work, fucken Eagle players on just about every ad on T.V. selling ■■■■.
The football highlight of my time there was the 96 semi’s when they had to play their home game at the G and we flogged them…oh the butthurt was strong that day my friends, it was fucken glorious.
I made a collage of newspaper cutouts depicting the bomber shooting the ■■■■ out of the eagle, placed it in the Fax machine and with the push of a button sent it to every military unit in Perth.

23 Likes

Fascinating game this week and with a much needed break and our confidence high I think we are a pretty good chance to win. A quick look at both teams suggest from a statistically perspective at least they are both reasonably even. West Coast marginally shading Essendon in key metrics - uncontested possessions 245 vs 257 , contested possessions 138 vs 141, clearances 34 vs 35, inside 50 grabs 47 vs 49. A dynamic forward line and scoring efficiency for both teams being their biggest weapon with a good mix of talls dangerous smalls. Essendon tend to score more freely from the back half and WC more from stoppages. Gaff and Shuey their biggest possession winners and both very nice users you can make an argument that Goddard goes to one of them and I’d nominate Shuey who plays closer to the contest. Id be trying to orchestrate Mitchell on Fantasia or Tippa rather than Green and take him deep as often as I could. Having a third genuine KPF size forward in Stewart should keep Yoe more honest than most weeks and if he is sagging off we should go through Stewart as often as we can early.
Obviously our defenders have a big week the key match ups for mine, Hartley to Kennedy, Dea to the Frenchman and Hurley to Darling, I’d continue to ask Hurley to attack and tighten up only if a Darling starts hitting the scoreboard - we will really miss an Ambrose or Brown this week as having Hurley free was a great advantage.
I see the game becoming a bit of a shoot out and I think the bombers are well placed for this but we must stay even with them on the inside and keep the tackle count up like last week. For me last weeks team is rewarded and no changes this week, however if we get towelled up in the stoppages again then changes must be made with Bird the likely inclusion

6 Likes

Mitchell wont be taken anywhere. He hasn’t been accountable for a man for 6 years, to him defence is merely what seperates his backyard from his neighbour. Agree on Goddard or perhaps Heppell to go to Shuey at stoppages but aside from that they wont run a hard tag. Just as we didn’t tag Danger or Brad Hill, rightly or wrongly.

3 Likes

For us this week is all about pressure at the contest and skill execution. If we can pressure the contest, as we did against Geelong, we can force slow/high/disjointed forward entries from the Eagles allowing our backs (Hurley) to zone off and intercept and in turn attack off half back. If we allow quick entries will get toasted.

In fact, we should just do what we did against Geelong every week. Cause it’s clearly that easy! lol

They just man them at stoppages and rely on team defence once spread from the contest.

Goddard destroyed Pendles in that regard and prevented his creativity by hand in particular going to the outside players.

Shuey is very quick however so different type of player to worry about. Almost might be better for Goddard to go to Priddis and prevent him dishing ball out to Shuey / Gaff and co.

Leave Zerrett to go head to head with Shuey.

2 Likes

Unless he is the spare, If he starts at HB he will man someone, I’d suggest he would be keen to get to Green and not be to exposed for pace. I understand his focus will predominately be offensive but if we can manipulate the match ups so even for a time he has Tippa or Fantasia even if he won’t go deep and guards grass one of them should get more space. With three key talls and three ■■■■■■ dangerous smalls it’s very dangerous not to be accountable inside our 50, it’s one of our main weapons and we should be trying to exploit it.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t reckon he’ll be playing HBF for long, do you?

Well from what I’ve seen they don’t tend to go Priddis and Mitchell in the centre all that often so he certainly spends a bit of time there. In saying that he may well be the spare.

1 Like

He is in the current team of the week as a HBF so I assume he spends some time there

I haven’t watched Mitchell play as a half back with West Coast, but even though he is glacial in terms of speed, I expect he will look to find space and take as many handball receives as possible, to be the “quarterback” and direct play, pretty much the way BJ did in his Crichton year. His weakness in that position will be exposure to any one of our running players when we are in possession and that includes Joe and Stewart.

He is probably too wily to be run down or taken out by Tippa, but hopefully one of our players can take him out early so he wishes he did retire last year.

Someone has to take one for the team, and “accidentally” knock Mitchell into next week. We can probably afford to lose McKenna, and I reckon it would make him an instant cult hero.

3 Likes

Hope someone sticks this on Cale’s locker. Smug little flog.

6 Likes

C__T

5 Likes

And from memory Velvet had Zerrett on a HFF in his rolling AA side. The point being that basically everyone that isn’t a ruck or KPP plays as a midfielder and spends time at the contest/stoppage. He may not play inside the stoppage but he’ll definitely be around it, as opposed to genuinely on the flank. Perhaps he’ll play a kick behind the stoppages to set up as that quarterback role others have suggested? In which case you might try to make him accountable but I’d be putting more time in making McGovin accountable because he’s the guy that’s getting the intercept marks that Mitchell can then feed off. Feel like that’s the far more important tactical or structural move.

I would agree with you if he was HFF but he is not so I won’t

Smash the ■■■■.

12 Likes

I’ve always thought this is a huge canard. He’s really really quick off his first couple steps, his top speed’s not great but not that terrible either.

3 Likes

Man, that pic induces a lot of hatred in me. SMASH HIM!

1 Like

I would legit love to drive a brick into that cvnts face

6 Likes

Hope we can get 40k there on Sunday who are baying for blood.

6 Likes