No Women's Team for Essendon in 2017

I like the idea but it will be another Aussie rules competition managed and eventually strangled to death by the AwFaL.
Different rules, short season in summer, AFL accredited media, coaches and clubs they will ruin it.
Great example is the new uniform providers, only AFL accredited suppliers folks, the ones who pay us the $$$
All about the bucks and the optics

we do have a women's team, but they seem to only come out to play on anzac day and in finals

This is a poor comment.

Outrageous. Can’t believe that someone would dare post a joke on the internet.

Come gather round people wherever you roam…

I told my 3yo son not to throw like a girl and was swiftly informed by my sister in law that I was encouraging him to be violent against women, because did you know there’s an add about it on TV?

Anyway, I told my son to hurry up and get me another tinny from the fridge and I’d forget about it.

It’s a pretty good ad, I reckon, and long over due.
The fact that people make a joke of the ad kinda demonstrates that…
It’s about respect. Not about direct linking of strength-of-arm to violence against women.
But you know that.

At the end of the day, this is another money making fiasco for the AFL. It might be basketball teams next. And way of grabbing control and diversing their interests. Between Gil, Mike and few others in high positions, the way they are going they will have sport stitched up in another ten years.

Rehab Centres on the drawing board?

we do have a women's team, but they seem to only come out to play on anzac day and in finals

This is a poor comment.

But it’s not a ‘joke on the internet’.
It is comparing poor performance of our players to female players. The old ‘cry like a girl’ ‘joke’.
But I’m sure you’re not a purse-carrying nancy boy, so it’s ok.

This is a poor comment.

Come gather round people wherever you roam…

I told my 3yo son not to throw like a girl and was swiftly informed by my sister in law that I was encouraging him to be violent against women, because did you know there’s an add about it on TV?

Anyway, I told my son to hurry up and get me another tinny from the fridge and I’d forget about it.

Why is the womans league centred around Melbourne suburbs? shouldnt it be a a VFL thing? it would make more sense if it was regional victoria IMO, just whole new clubs centred around major victorian towns. Warrnambool, Ballarat Bendigo, Mildura, shepperton, Albury, Morwell Bairnsdale Horsham, Swan hill etc... And intergrate them into existing country clubs to help support the local football and revenues.

They will need the financial support. Unfortunately, we do not have the population to support a women’s league via regional clubs.

Edit - having said that - I’d rather it were regional, and fark TV, AFL and all that crap.
Get some great investors and sponsors on board and fark everyone else.

Some pretty serious questions around the viability of this league let alone the depth of talent right now. Too much too soon. Would love us to get involved down the track

Why is the womans league centred around Melbourne suburbs?
It’s not (though the top level of women’s footy has been).

I think it’s set to be 4 Melbourne teams, some interstate clubs who can afford it, and some interstate clubs 100% propped up by the AFL.

Some pretty serious questions around the viability of this league let alone the depth of talent right now. Too much too soon. Would love us to get involved down the track

And we will. It’s just not financially viable for us right now. Particularly not this year.

Why is the womans league centred around Melbourne suburbs? shouldnt it be a a VFL thing? it would make more sense if it was regional victoria IMO, just whole new clubs centred around major victorian towns. Warrnambool, Ballarat Bendigo, Mildura, shepperton, Albury, Morwell Bairnsdale Horsham, Swan hill etc... And intergrate them into existing country clubs to help support the local football and revenues.
Then you'd have Netball Australia or whatever they call themselves up in arms. Lots of country football clubs have netball teams attached to them. The males play football, the girls play netball. In fact, the clubs are named Football -Netball Clubs.

In country areas there probably wouldn’t be enough girls for football as well as netball, so it would be one or the other.

And we will. It’s just not financially viable for us right now. Particularly not this year.

It’s a pity, and another example if the flow on impacts of this saga. The ‘old’ Essebdon would’ve jumped at this and led the league in driving these sort of initiatives. Now we miss the boat and play catch up. It’s a pity tbh.

We were one of the first clubs and loudest clubs to express interest in fielding a women's team, and now we're not even bidding?

Well, it IS typical essendon media management. Talk big early, then change your mind, give up, and slink away with no explanation later on…

I get where you are coming from and I would also love to see an EFC women’s team but surely this is a financially wise decision?
After everything we’ve been through the last few years, the financial cost to the club would be massive - beyond what many other teams could sustain.
I think the women’s league is great but by far, I would much rather we get our team and finances back where they should be and look at branching into the women’s league down the track.

If the frigging Dogs and Dees can afford it, then we certainly can.

Sure they are minnows, but how much has the last 4 years crippled our club? Plus unresolved compensation claims? It’s not a farking endless money tree. I think the priority should be getting the AFL team to where they should be, then focus on where we can go from there.

You guys seriously think that Melbourne and the dogs are fully funding it themselves?

Then you'd have Netball Australia or whatever they call themselves up in arms. Lots of country football clubs have netball teams attached to them. The males play football, the girls play netball. In fact, the clubs are named Football -Netball Clubs.

In country areas there probably wouldn’t be enough girls for football as well as netball, so it would be one or the other.

True, but I suspect the amount that the AFL care about what Netball Australia or country footy/netball clubs think can fit on the head of a pin with plenty of room to spare for the integrity of Brett Clothier.

Why can’t they have both? Elise Perry plays both cricket and soccer for Australia. I am sure girls can play both netball and football. Just need to have one on Saturday one on Sunday.

Some total over reactions on here seriously!
Hawks, Swans, Port and Suns aren’t doing it either, so I hardly think our non involvement at this stage is hardly that dire!
Let’s get the club back together on the main stage first. THAT is the priority right now!

Some total over reactions on here seriously! Hawks, Swans, Port and Suns aren't doing it either, so I hardly think our non involvement at this stage is hardly that dire! Let's get the club back together on the main stage first. THAT is the priority right now!

Don’t disagree but it’s unfortunate we have to de prioritise something that in the ideal world we would be prioritising!

Why can’t they have both? Elise Perry plays both cricket and soccer for Australia. I am sure girls can play both netball and football. Just need to have one on Saturday one on Sunday.

That might work if there were enough girls wanting to play both sports and on consecutive days. It would also depend on the availability of resources. Lots of country clubs are struggling with costs and numbers just to have one game a week.
In the end, of course, it gets down to available people.
Also, country towns have problems with dire transport, outlying areas have no public transport to speak of, and parents cant be expected to run kids around.
The larger centers might be able to support essentially three sports in one club, but there wouldn’t be too many.

My wife’s family is from country Victoria, and we’ve have discussions along these lines already, and all her family agree that it’s “football for the guys, netball for the girls”. It’s an inbred thing also. The girls are very proud of their netball teams, and for girls to play footy is kind of “wrong”. I know that’s just an attitude thing, but there you have it.

That’s not an argument against female footy teams, but sometimes the interest is just not there.

It’s for reasons like these cities can make it work, simply because of the population size.

My sister and I reprised the Bart and Lisa sledge to Monty Burns at a game once.
Good times.
Sorry we were both encouraging violence.

It would be financial.

No doubt the club ran the numbers once the AFL started putting out solid info and we saw it was a financial black hole.

IMHO it’s a good decision by the club, focus on the AFL team until we are successful again. Stop wasting money elsewhere.

Bulldogs and Melbourne are just doing it to boost membership.