NRL 2020

Whats with the ramdom alarm going off?

Been trying to get into nrl for years as a good alternative, it’s just so repetitive though i can’t last more than about 10 minutes. It reminds me of running into a brick wall over and over till it finally breaks.
American football i love though and a lot of people find that boring but at least the ball moves distance and fast at times so there is a bit more variation.

Its the fact that 99% of the time they just run into the tackle and make no effort to avoid it that gets me

It’s about setting up for attack and moving the defense back. Good strong running by the forwards creates space for taking risks in the last couple of plays.

Also gets them away from their own goal line. Running sideways would give the defense time to set up as well. Shortest distance to the defensive line is straight ahead. Also the more the forwards beat each other up, the more line breaks it creates later in the game

2 Likes

I can’t hack gridiron being “fast” at anything. It’s the slowest sport I’ve ever tried to watch.

2 Likes

Geez Munster is alright…

Yep. A highlight in an otherwise pretty ugly win last night.

1 Like

Fk me. The Rabbits are off to a flyer after the restart. :roll_eyes:

Rugby Union is a million times more exciting.

I beg to differ…strenuously. I think union is boring as batshit, and inexplicably refereed. Not that league isn’t strangely refereed too at times.

3 Likes

I guess if you know the rules, they’re not so inexplicable. I think it is much more free flowing and exciting. League just plods along with people running into each other.

Six tackles again

1 Like

Union is a referees game - they believe they are part of the action - lost me years ago!

1 Like

Union is not a flowing game when you have players piling on top of each other for long periods, so many scrums and line outs make it a ponderous sport. League is much quicker and dynamic.

I grew up playing Union, so maybe that clouds my judgment. But there is a lot more fast movent of the ball, including kicking in union than league. But each to their own I guess. I’d much rather watch a Wallabies game than any NRL or Kangaroos

1 Like

A good Union game (two sides trying to attack, full-on scrums and mauls, set pieces from lineouts etc) is glorious, but too many sides play ugly, defensive game styles - get ball, run it for one or two tackles, kick, random whistle, penalty kick.
Zzzzz.

IMHO League is never that bad, but maybe it’s never quite as good as the best union hames.

League doesn’t let you just hold onto the ball and field position. You have to attack good metres every single possession.

I agree about the negative tactics. The English sides in particular have always been renowned for the negativity and defensive tactics. It’s a shame, because like you said, it can be a glorious game to watch and play.

Manly looked gassed near the end of the first half. Need to clean up a few mistakes and reckon we can really dominate them in the second half

Shocking second half and lucky to get out of jail. Manly robbed at the death :joy:

You should compare how much live play there is when comparing League and Union - League willcome out ahead.