Operation Human Shiel

Station Hotel in footscrazy

1 Like

Who the ■■■■ presents a jumper to someone that you are trying to lure to your club.

Presumptuous, tacky ar$eholes

10 Likes

Alec the kookaburra Epis Domain Epis Pinot was seen as better than Grange by Dylan. He has as good taste in wine as club to play for.

1 Like

Magnificent. Breeds his own , kills his own and ages his own. Not cheap, just outstanding. Rest of the menu is brilliant. Grass fed , Dry aged for 60 days.

3 Likes

Agree that he’s far from a bust, he’s been an outstanding pick up for Sydney. They have been reasonably successful without getting the ultimate (and I do agree with CS that that is what he was brought in for, he even admitted it when he signed on that he came to Sydney for flags, by that measure alone it’s a failure).

If you add in the marketing component, being the face of the game in NSW & Sydney, the marketability of one of the best & dynamic players we’ve ever seen extends to, merchandise, membership, attendances and exposure of the game to juniors in NSW, it’s been a success.

I do however keep coming back to the whole reason he signed with Sydney & not GWS in the first place, that was to win flags. Who knows, maybe had he gone to GWS, they’d have won one of the past 3 flags?

1 Like

Yeah, nah.

Roughead was getting beaten, then he broke down, and then Boyd proceeded to get severely spanked like a naughty little boy.

Mumford had almost twice as many hitouts as Boyd.
It was better than having no ruckman… and it got him out of the forward line… but he was no good.

This second guessing stuff that Barrett keeps banging on about is totally over the top.

These negotiations are a person’s livelihood. If you put anybody in this position their stress and survival instincts will kick in and they’ll start second guessing the original decision.

Of course Shiel would have been second guessing It. It doesn’t mean he didn’t want to play for us.

Under that stress he would have just wanted a deal done, to get to Melbourne. But that’s what a player managers job is about. Going with their clients original decision and following it through.

I bet Shiel is very happy he didn’t waiver from his original decision, as soon as the deal was completed.

1 Like

Tremendous.
Highly, highly recommend.

1 Like

Good call!

Gee, shake my head in disbelief at GWS firstly encouraging Shiel to explore his options then once they’ve offloaded Lobb and Scully ask him to emotionally disconnect from his decision to come to the Bombers and stay with them. What were they thinking!? Really poor by GWS. Not sure who was stalling negotiations? Feels like GWS and given all the drama around trade value / picks they were happy to have him back. They misread that situation, that’s for sure. And now Shiel is one of “us”. Really happy

2 Likes

Personally I think they bluffed us

And it was a hand in this case for us where the stakes were too high (we absolutely needed him) so we folded.

They were meant to be $2mil plus over the cap

Scully $500k. Lobb $700k. Setterfield $300k. All does not equal $2mil.

Cutting Shiel freed up probably a total of $2.5mil

And in terms of salary cap banking it’s been discussed that you can effectively bank enough for one player which is about $500k. Which they would be looking to do to ensure enough to hold Kelly / Conig next year.

In the end so long as we make top 4 and they perhaps drop to just missing the 8 we’ve maybe paid about pick 5 for him I think so it’s fair

But even if it doesn’t we won last years trade period comprehensively so if this time we paid overs it’s all good. I think he will prove well worth it.

5 Likes

From one perspective GWS does look poor handling of this. But they played their cards right hedging their bets.

They got Shiel thinking about moving on as this was required from a Salary Cap.
However, if GWS can offload others first (which they did), then keeping Shiel was an option - this puts GWS in the upper hand.

If GWS wasn’t able to offload Scully, Lobb and Setterfield, then we would have an upperhand and may have gotten away with NOT giving two 1st rounders.

I reckon that’s why GWS took such a low offer for Scully, was they knew that they would be able to put max pressure on EFC and get the 2 x 1st rounders.

2 Likes

We could have used our 1st this yr and 1st next year to have choosen a draftee that could ‘potentially’ become they player Shiel is.

History says our chances would be less than average.

We ‘know’ we have one with two first rounders, and one 2nd rounder coming back.

Deal is spot on.

2 Likes

I think they took the low offer because there is a high chance he’s cooked.

3 Likes

reckon that is 100% correct

At least they could have asked for the sour cream and onion bags of chips, rather than the stale bag of crinkle-cut jobbies they got for him.

I actually wonder whether he was able to walk into the medical test…or had to do it in a wheelchair.

Reading this story is cringeworthy and doesn’t paint Dodoro in a good light given the stresses he put Shiel under and the eventual outcome …

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/inside-story-how-carlton-almost-foiled-essendons-chase-for-dylan-shiel/news-story/c59b3fa423bd96b9f773b2eaaaecfb13

Inside story: How Carlton almost foiled Essendon’s chase for Dylan Shiel

THE Carlton curveball in the race for Dylan Shiel lobbed at Greater Western Sydney two days after the midfield star nominated Essendon as his preferred destination.

The Blues, whose audacious pitch to Shiel had involved a trip to Noosa on a private jet, knew it had been a narrow call and told the Giants their 2019 first-round draft pick was on the table if the Bombers couldn’t get it done.

Until 25 minutes before the trading deadline on Wednesday night, Carlton’s offer, while still not enough to satisfy the Giants, was superior to Essendon’s.

The Dons were flying high when Shiel gave them the nod and figured a serious salary cap squeeze at the Giants meant they could play hardball and land him at Tullamarine in exchange for a single first-round pick.

For more than a week, Essendon’s offer of picks No.9 and 34 in next month’s national draft was the best list boss Adrian Dodoro and his team were prepared to offer.

But other machinations were playing out that would soon wrong-foot the Dons.

A deal to send the injured Tom Scully to Hawthorn emerged from out of the blue and cleared up significant room in the Giants cap.

The exit of former top 10 pick Will Setterfield, a young gun set to earn more than $400,000 at GWS in 2019 if he’d stayed, and Rory Lobb’s desire to go home to Perth suddenly gave them the option of keeping Shiel if Essendon refused to budge.

All the power was now with the Giants.

As deadline day unfolded and Dodoro stubbornly stuck to his plan, there were stages where Shiel, 25, seriously contemplated a move to Carlton or the more likely prospect of seeing out his 2019 contract in the Harbour City.

Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni and GWS counterpart Jason McCartney had met earlier in the morning at a coffee shop near Princes Park where the Blues’ offered to send a player to the Giants — and cover the cost of his contract — as well as their future first-round pick.

Inquiries were also made around a sticking point, whether Carlton would be allowed to trade away its 2019 first-round selection because their future second-rounder had already gone to the Giants as part of the Setterfield deal.

“Dylan was prepared to go Carlton,” a source close to the negotiation told the Herald Sun, but the big play that could have made it happen — the Blues throwing this year’s prized No.1 pick into play — was never made.

At the death, the only options left were for Shiel to go to Essendon or stay put.

Shiel confided in Giants friends as the 8.30pm deadline neared that he was frustrated by Essendon’s tactics.

With the clock ticking down it was Shiel’s agent Paul Connors who stepped in to break the deadlock.

Rival club officials at Marvel Stadium saw Connors walk into the Essendon meeting room around 8pm before walking back to the room where McCartney and Giants football boss Wayne Campbell were stationed.

Essendon’s decision to cave in and part with two first-round picks for Shiel was confirmed moments later.

“The whole thing was far more precarious than Essendon would now have you believe,” an industry figure said.

“There was a bit of arrogance and an underestimation of the GWS position and in the end they folded like a deck of cards.

“Their bluff was well and truly called.”

But Dodoro later said he didn’t ever fear the deal for Shiel would fall through.

Others in the Shiel camp insist it was a typical but tough negotiation for a high-profile contracted player.

“I think we were both testing each other out to be perfectly honest to see how far we were both prepared to go,” Dodoro said.

“But they were genuine that they were prepared to keep him … and so we had to make a decision, and the decision was we were committed to getting him to our club and we were rapt to get him.”

Asked if he was aware of Carlton’s attempted ambush, Dodoro said: “It really didn’t bother us … but no doubt SOS (Silvagni) was trying to get him in the back door.

“I’ve got no doubt, knowing SOS, he was trying to do that, but that’s what happens — I would have done the same thing as well. We got our man and they didn’t.”

The Shiel stand-off has triggered calls for a review into the way big trades are done.

“We sit around and talk about the mental health of our players, the trade period is an incredibly stressful time and it’s crazy when a club puts unnecessary pressure on the player it is actually trying to land,” one club figure said.

“My question to Essendon — if you always intended to offer up two first-round picks — would be why would you put Dylan Shiel through 10 days of crap and not just do the deal.”

No, that article just comes across as some serious sour-grapes from the losing side.

PS - ‘Industry figure’ = someone who would like to anonymously stick the boot into a rival club. Courageous stuff!

30 Likes

seriously, fark off! i’m not clicking the link, but by the ■■■■■■ “paragraph” structure i’m guessing that’s the drunken village idiot slobbo?

“putting the players through stress, big naughty essendon”. cry me a river you dickheads.

anyway, how about that jet midfielder hey???

6 Likes