Options for picks 20 and 29 (before Academy shenanigans)

I would take Battle before Marshall, in s heart beat and the best thing is, he really wants to come to Essendon.

With our crop of talls he would battle to get a game.

If you’re selecting 18 year old talls you’d be looking at the list five years ahead, not the immediate future. That’s far enough away for Hooker and Hurley to be near the end of their careers.

The only tall under 25 who has truly established themselves as a long term player is Daniher. While they’re a promising lot, Hartley, Ambrose, Brown, Francis and Stewart haven’t actually done a whole lot at AFL level yet. Francis and maybe Hartley are the only ones I could see that could develop into elite level players. If a draftee is a potential upgrade on any of that lot then they’re worth having a good look at.

Or maybe that post was just an excuse to make a pun…

I would take Battle before Marshall, in s heart beat and the best thing is, he really wants to come to Essendon.

If you’re selecting 18 year old talls you’d be looking at the list five years ahead, not the immediate future. That’s far enough away for Hooker and Hurley to be near the end of their careers.

The only tall under 25 who has truly established themselves as a long term player is Daniher. While they’re a promising lot, Hartley, Ambrose, Brown, Francis and Stewart haven’t actually done a whole lot at AFL level yet. Francis and maybe Hartley are the only ones I could see that could develop into elite level players. If a draftee is a potential upgrade on any of that lot then they’re worth having a good look at.

Lid on

Happy to take talls, but only take them if there is a legit chance they will turn out better than what we have. Don’t take a talk just for the sake of it. If all the tall talent is crap, go for mids and take talls next year.

Battle will be a 30+ selection and has a difficult challenge making it an AFL level. He can work over TAC players, but lacks the necessary physical attributes such as speed and agility to do it an AFL level.

Whilst Marshall’s end of season wasn’t great, he is a much better prospect. He has all the tools to become a damaging kpf. I doubt he’d slip to 20, but if he does, he is a no-brainer at that selection. He is the best key position fwd prospect in the draft pool by a country mile. Of course we should take him at 20 if the improbability materialises.

Not gonna argue with you but I disagree 100%

Florent Simpkin Venables Berry Marshall

Surely one of these guys will slip to our pick 20. From what I’ve read Willem Drew sounds like he’s be a good choice for 29.

Drew’s profile does look quite good! Was reading about him in the inside footy mag that’s just been released.

Can’t kick, and slow… I’m less than convinced personally.

Drew didn’t look slow in his youtube vid, especially for a tall inside mid. Hands looked clean, ball drop could use some work though.

I like the sound of Long but 20/29 might be a bit high. Be very happy with him at 41.

Dogs will take at 26 because they are thinking we would take him at 29.

Fwiw I would take Ben before I would take Powell-Pepper.

Man I’d suck at recruiting.
I’d take Long simply because I’d like to have two Longs in the team.

Should we get Anthony Long back as well?

Two Longs don’t make a right.

Shai Bolton please.

I rarely get any decent mail on recruiting but I know that we’re interested in Josh Begley from Eastern Ranges. Not sure on detail, for eg what pick we’re looking at him with but we are keen.

I rarely get any decent mail on recruiting but I know that we're interested in Josh Begley from Eastern Ranges. Not sure on detail, for eg what pick we're looking at him with but we are keen.
Yeah I heard many clubs with picks in the 20s where keen before the combine started didn't think to ask which clubs but definetley has interest.
I rarely get any decent mail on recruiting but I know that we're interested in Josh Begley from Eastern Ranges. Not sure on detail, for eg what pick we're looking at him with but we are keen.

Baguley and Begley

Never really heard of begley

From what I can see only took up footy full time this year

Gone from KPF to a mid averaged 17 disposals and 25 goals for the year

Similar to Venables in a lot of ways, very powerful with great hands. Played Full Forward early on but was given the task to play up the ground and veg fitter and that’s when he started to catch recruiters attention. Kicked 17 goals in his first 3 games in TAC

Similar to Venables in a lot of ways, very powerful with great hands. Played Full Forward early on but was given the task to play up the ground and veg fitter and that’s when he started to catch recruiters attention. Kicked 17 goals in his first 3 games in TAC

Veg fitter, you say, eh?
Hmmm.
Sweet potatoes?

Really, really want Shai bolton

Yes the pun was the motivation

Really, really want Shai bolton

X 2. Exciting player, looks very dangerous with ball un hand and takes them on.

Found thois through ESPN website Knightmare

Player focus

Joshua Begley was unsuccessful in making this year’s Vic Metro squad, not representing Vic Metro during the AFL Under-18 Championships. He did however receive an invite to this year’s AFL Draft Combine, one of 80 to receive an invite.

Making a name for himself as a forward, kicking 16 goals from his first four games this season, Begley has since showed prowess playing primarily through the midfield. Begley has featured in the bests for Eastern in eight of a possible 12 games and has 23 goals to his name so far this season.

Against the Geelong Falcons, he had his lowest disposal total in any game in which he has not kicked a goal this season, with 16 touches, eight contested possessions, eight tackles, five clearances and one score assist for the game.

Playing through the midfield against Geelong, Begley lined up at stoppages against one of next year’s gun midfield prospects in James Worpel, overall breaking even, with Worpel like Begley not achieving his regular numbers through the midfield.

Begley at 187cm, 87kg is already very strongly developed physically and is someone who has a presence to him out on the field. He wins first possession at stoppages, tackles aggressively, marks strongly overhead and crashes packs.

Begley has proven to be an effective ball user this season. He is not only a good finisher around goal and from set shots but also hits his targets by foot over a variety of distances. At stoppages he also dishes out well by hand to teammates.

His most pressing deficiencies are a lack of pace, agility and endurance. Begley seems to have dropped some weight and covers the ground better than he did earlier in the season, but further work is still needed. He also often feels more influential earlier in games, which again comes back to his fitness base.

With a few pre-seasons into him, the hope would be that he develops an AFL body and improves his running ability while still retaining his power game that makes him an impactful player.

Begley at this stage is seen as someone who will come under consideration in this year’s draft from the third round onwards.

Does anyone have any further info on Brodie Romensky?

Was reading Knightmare’s ESPN page and sounds like a great pick up at 20/29

Does anyone have any further info on Brodie Romensky?

Was reading Knightmare’s ESPN page and sounds like a great pick up at 20/29

I like him, nice size with a mix of speed and toughness, lacks impact with his touches but can’t question his work ethic id compare him to a Heath Hocking type