Options for picks 20 and 29 (before Academy shenanigans)

What's with all the love for Battle?

A third tall without speed/agility? Just going off what I’ve read… doesn’t scream “pick me”.

Then won’t go off what is read.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Whuch means it’s highly likely that it’s wrong!

Whuch one is whuch?

I would take Battle before Marshall, in s heart beat and the best thing is, he really wants to come to Essendon.

With our crop of talls he would battle to get a game.

Battle will be a 30+ selection and has a difficult challenge making it an AFL level. He can work over TAC players, but lacks the necessary physical attributes such as speed and agility to do it an AFL level.

Whilst Marshall’s end of season wasn’t great, he is a much better prospect. He has all the tools to become a damaging kpf. I doubt he’d slip to 20, but if he does, he is a no-brainer at that selection. He is the best key position fwd prospect in the draft pool by a country mile. Of course we should take him at 20 if the improbability materialises.

Then lets take Bolton and then Battle.

Shai Bolton please.

No Jye

I have a tendency of liking any player whose highlights I see, but definitely do not mind the look of Dan Venables - particularly if we go for McGrath at 1. Are we a chance with 20? The fact that he wasn't invited to the draft suggests that we are.

Agree. Venables would suit us as a player type at 20 imo. Whether we take McAntler or Mcgrath.

Interesting news that Josh Battle has been invited to the draft and is said to be 194cm and not 192cm.

Not what I have heard.

What have you heard

That Gallucci was the surprise invite and with Battle expected to go at about 25-35, I would be stunned if he was invited.

From someone who knows the family they said that Freo, swans, GC, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and us are very keen on him with Port all but certain to draft him with one of their 2 first round picks if he lasts that long

I’m very close to the whole family and although this info didn’t come from me, it’s pretty spot on.
I spoke with his Dad and Brother on Thursday and nothing was mentioned of him being invited to the draft, not to say he hasn’t.
Adelaide have offered him a 3 year contract if they draft him.
He is very keen to come to Essendon but thinks he most likely will go interstate.

I would take Battle before Marshall, in s heart beat and the best thing is, he really wants to come to Essendon.

With our crop of talls he would battle to get a game.

Battle will be a 30+ selection and has a difficult challenge making it an AFL level. He can work over TAC players, but lacks the necessary physical attributes such as speed and agility to do it an AFL level.

Whilst Marshall’s end of season wasn’t great, he is a much better prospect. He has all the tools to become a damaging kpf. I doubt he’d slip to 20, but if he does, he is a no-brainer at that selection. He is the best key position fwd prospect in the draft pool by a country mile. Of course we should take him at 20 if the improbability materialises.

Then lets take Bolton and then Battle.

It looks like some clubs rate Battle a lot earlier than others. Now that Battle seems to have been invited to the draft I may have to eat some humble pie. I still rate him at about 30 and see challenges ahead for him.

Martin's stand out u18 quality was his delivery of the ball in my opinion. SPP has the man childness but lacks the quality of other facets I reckon.
Just from what I have seen of Dusty in senior footy, to me he seems to butcher the ball a lot. Even when SPP talks about him the footage of Dusty shows a kick that seems to almost be shinned, I am sure it did not end up where he wanted it. I reckon I have seen a few games on TV where he butchers it too. Stats may not support this but it is just something I seem to recall a bit.

Geez those first few highlights of SPP show him get the ball with pace and power too! Sort of makes me feel sorry for the ball.

Looks like GWS are going to kick up a stink over potential draft sanctions.

The individuals involved are accepting suspensions (Whitfield, Allen and Lambert) but it smells to me like they are trying to angle for some deal where those particular individuals take the wrap and therefore that should somehow absolve the club itself of copping a punishment in the form of draft penalties.

Bugger. Was hoping their pick 15 would be wiped out and also open up more possibilities for other clubs getting their academy players throughout the draft.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/greater-western-sydney-giants/greater-western-sydney-giants-to-fight-any-draft-sanctions-imposed-on-them-by-afl/news-story/71c88d3a5394e0676faf4a7a7c18f35d

The individuals involved are accepting suspensions (Whitfield, Allen and Lambert) but it smells to me like they are trying to angle for some deal where those particular individuals take the wrap and therefore that should somehow absolve the club itself of copping a punishment in the form of draft penalties.

Bugger. Was hoping their pick 15 would be wiped out and also open up more possibilities for other clubs getting their academy players throughout the draft.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/greater-western-sydney-giants/greater-western-sydney-giants-to-fight-any-draft-sanctions-imposed-on-them-by-afl/news-story/71c88d3a5394e0676faf4a7a7c18f35d

They will contest and lose and they know it. They are expecting to go into debt for Setterfield and Perryman and will forgo all their others like Kobe Mutch (with perhaps the exception of Macredie who they owe a bit to).

so if they lose picks 15 and 37 and we bid on setterfield does that mean they will only be able to get setterfield and perryman and their next pick will be at the very ■■■■ end of the draft?

in which case it might make more sense for them to not match the setterfield bid and instead take mcgrath, perryman and still have another high-ish pick to fill their list spot/s?

so if they lose picks 15 and 37 and we bid on setterfield does that mean they will only be able to get setterfield and perryman and their next pick will be at the very ■■■■ end of the draft?

in which case it might make more sense for them to not match the setterfield bid and instead take mcgrath, perryman and still have another high-ish pick to fill their list spot/s?

If we bid for Setterfield we will get him imo. Regardless of penalties.

Yep. Tend to agree. The discount pretty much cancels itself out and it simply comes down to whether they prefer ONE of McGrath/Ainsworth/McCluggage over Setterfield. If the answer is yes to any of those players (and I suspect it is) then they won’t match our bid.

GWS will need to give up pick 2 for Setterfield (if we nominate him)

So ultimately they need to choose between Setterfield and McGrath.

GWS will need to give up pick 2 for Setterfield (if we nominate him)

So ultimately they need to choose between Setterfield and McGrath.

That’s right and we would not be using pick 1 to bid on a player that is matched. We would have some sense going into the process that the player we pick at 1 will become ours.

I think Mummy should take the wrap, personally.

Road to the Drafts Mock Draft had us taking Pepper Powell at 20

Road to the Drafts Mock Draft had us taking Pepper Powell at 20

No offence to Cal Twomey, he provides good analysis, but I don’t think he has anywhere near the access that EQ has. She generally has a good idea which clubs are looking at which players, dont think Cal does

Ah scrap that, just listened to their podcast. He explicitly says it’s who he thinks we should take, rather than who he thinks we will take. Sorry Cal!

Ah scrap that, just listened to their podcast. He explicitly says it's who he thinks we should take, rather than who he thinks we will take. Sorry Cal!

Also think it was the other bloke (Ablett??) that took that pick…