Parcel delivery can do better. Discuss

Order bigger quantities.

It gets there quicker that way.

couriers please is so low effort, dont go to the front door, wlk to the side gate and throw it over the gate. rinse and repeat 3 times. even with instructions of where the front door is.

Thatā€™s primarily my issue with Auspost. They are happy to take the 300% revenue increase but they wonā€™t put on more people to have the service scale with the volume.

They just deliver less times a week.

Work that out.

1 Like

Ok.

Hereā€™s a life hack you guys are gonna love.

Send something anywhere in the world. They unpack it and repackaged with something else and send it back claiming there is no one at that address. And it goes back for free!!!

(Might be a bit risky for a guitar tho)

A myth.
There have been many thousands been put on.
Posties have their normal mail delivery halved in many areas but on those other days they are put into vans, bikes etc to deliver freight.
There gets a point in time where you reach saturation point and the facilities and infrastructure canā€™t handle the volumes in which case in Adelaide for example there is a new $20m facility being built and all up there is hundreds of millions being spent around the country to increase processing rates

1 Like

It would cut into the watches fund I guessā€¦

But overall I havenā€™t had probs. AP deliveries on Saturday even on occasion. (Coffee ordered Wednesday 10pm, roasted Thursday, at my house via AP Saturday 8am).

Lots and lots of stuff from local businesses arriving within 2-3 days, mostly AP, mostly the cheapest shipping option at checkout.

OS is obviously a different story, and Iā€™m not sending stuff out particularly often.

I tend to prefer to buy from local sources for most things of much value, whereas os sources I tend to buy cheap stuff that Iā€™m not too fussed about timelines, and donā€™t spend much on delivery, so when something takes 3 months to get from Russia or Hong Kong I kind of expect it.

2 Likes

Postage

Australia Post Standard Parcel
Free
Est. Mon, 8 Feb

Fastway Couriers
AU $999.95
Est. Mon, 8 Feb

I believe the bottleneck is processing centres.

At one point (in the heart of Vic lockdown) AP were filling semi trailers full of Vic parcels and driving them up to Sydney for processing.

They added a shitload more staff, and subcontracted a bunch of delivery runs out.

Iā€™m waiting on an order from China that theyā€™re saying could take 2x months. I would have forgotten about it by then.

I had a package from home sent to me. It said it was out for delivery, meaning the postie had to drive past my house twice. Wasnā€™t there when I got back from work so I called the post office to see where it was at. They said it had been refused by the person who lives at the house (???) and was put back into the box for re-delivery and I would get it in a few days. 5 days later it hadnā€™t arrived so I logged in to see where it could be and it had been sent to the international regional centre in Miami (I live 16 hours away from Miami). I called up the head office and they put out an urgent notice on my package to get it delivered to meā€¦3 days later it was on a flight back to Australia.

I must be an outlier. Ordered a box of wine yesterday, it was sitting on my doorstep when I got home this arvo. Delivered by Fastway.

Not sure who Amazon used, but they deliver exactly when they say they will. Legit impressive

1 Like

They use their own drivers aswell as a heap with APG. They do send some via other companies depending on area.
Because it is majority safe drop they ā€œget priorityā€ with a lot of drivers

2 Likes

Thought Iā€™d give Aces boys a run today and I ordered a pickup from Adelaide, asked who I wanted it shipped by I said send it Express Post. So far tracking is saying it will arrive tomorrow.

That would be cool.

Buggered if i know how it worked at christmas time ,but i sent a parcel via Express post to a client from Vic to QLD at about 4pm on December 23rd and she got it on the 24 th , but earlier in the year my boss had urgent signed business documents sent Express post from Ballarat to Melbourne that took 7 weeks to arrive . We think the parcel may have caught covid19 and had to be isolated for all that time. No other explanation. 2 weeks` ago i placed an order on Ebay late on a wednesday night and recieved it on the friday at 1 pm . However, couriers delivering stuff ontime to work has been a struggle for the last 12 months. I think they are under the pump. A normal 2 day turn around for orders can turn into 5 days to 3 weeks. I am told not enough drivers at some depots.

I had an email saying my beer subscription delivery was completed by Fastway. But alas! No beer was delivered. I got an email saying yes it was and here is a photo of it at your front door. It wasnā€™t my front door unfortunately. They did track it down though. Same house number. Just on a different street.

3 Likes

Not my boys, different division but unfortunately we get tarred with the same brush

Ahh, well already being weird, says itā€™s arriving today but tracking says itā€™s still in Christies Beach. So Iā€™m not holding out a tonne of hope itā€™s gonna arrive today. Shame, I could have sold this guitar on Sunday if I could have swapped in the parts I ordered.

That is weird as Christies doesnā€™t have a PDC facility

There you go :joy:

Itā€™s this sort of thing that puts me off AP, on the tin express post says next day delivery between capitals. But it rarely happens that way.

Other places I use nearly always meet their claims, AP rarely does. Itā€™s always a surprise when it turns up on time.