Patrick Dangerfield

All Geelong or anyone else have to do is offer more than the Crows can which isn't going to be too difficult.

They’ll get a compo pick at the end of their first rounder like Hawthorn did for Buddy.

No one has to give up anything for him (other than the dosh they put up for him) and I would suggest that guy is a senile or ignorant old bloke who is totally out of touch with what FA is about and how it works.

You aren’t going to trade for a bloke who you can get for free (trade-wise).

Restricted Free Agency works differently to Free Agency.

Yes, but if Geelong can offer more than Adelaide (seemingly a fait accompli), he’s still gone.

Yes but Adelaide can match it and make Geelong trade.

Do you not understand what ‘if’ means?

From my read, I don’t believe they can match it. Otherwise this wouldn’t be a discussion - they’d have matched terms, and he would’ve signed already.

He might want to actually return to Victoria, and not solely be in it for the money. Which is not to say it won’t be a massive amount of money, but Adelaide matching it might not be enough to keep him. If Adelaide are pretty sure he’ll ask for a trade if they match the offer, they might as well match it whether they can afford it or not.

Adelaide only have to say they will match Geelong’s offer to force Geelong into a trading situation.
I would be doing the same if I was them.

Lol, yeah right. If that was the case everyone would just say “we’ll offer him 2 mil a season” when their losing a RFA to make sure they got a trade in return.

The offer would have to be realistic and within the cap

Lol, yeah right. If that was the case everyone would just say "we'll offer him 2 mil a season" when their losing a RFA to make sure they got a trade in return.

The offer only has to be the same as the one tabled by the opposition club. And it happens before the trade period starts or any delistings, it doesn’t have to be in the cap at the time of the offer.

Adelaide only have to say they will match Geelong's offer to force Geelong into a trading situation. I would be doing the same if I was them.

Correct.

Lol, yeah right. If that was the case everyone would just say "we'll offer him 2 mil a season" when their losing a RFA to make sure they got a trade in return.

The offer only has to be the same as the one tabled by the opposition club. And it happens before the trade period starts or any delistings, it doesn’t have to be in the cap at the time of the offer.

Additionally, you might not always get a better deal via trade. Melbourne got pick 3 for Frawley (although he was unrestricted anyway), but no one would have paid that price for him in a direct trade.

I think the difference is, given what the compensation is going to be - Adelaide should be able to get a far better deal if they forced a trade. Hence this discussion.

All Geelong or anyone else have to do is offer more than the Crows can which isn't going to be too difficult.

They’ll get a compo pick at the end of their first rounder like Hawthorn did for Buddy.

No one has to give up anything for him (other than the dosh they put up for him) and I would suggest that guy is a senile or ignorant old bloke who is totally out of touch with what FA is about and how it works.

Yes, but if Geelong can offer more than Adelaide (seemingly a fait accompli), he’s still gone.

From my read, I don’t believe they can match it. Otherwise this wouldn’t be a discussion - they’d have matched terms, and he would’ve signed already.

I do know what if means. But I think no matter what figure Geelong put up Adelaide will just match it anyway forcing a trade.

He might want to actually return to Victoria, and not solely be in it for the money. Which is not to say it won’t be a massive amount of money, but Adelaide matching it might not be enough to keep him. If Adelaide are pretty sure he’ll ask for a trade if they match the offer, they might as well match it whether they can afford it or not.

If they can match it, they can keep him no questions asked.

swap for carlisle and next years first rounder… get it done disco

I do know what if means. But I think no matter what figure Geelong put up Adelaide will just match it anyway forcing a trade.

I don’t think they’ve got the dosh spare. Haven’t (from what I’ve seen) cut anyone on big dollars.

I don’t think they’ve got the dosh spare. Haven’t (from what I’ve seen) cut anyone on big dollars.

Geelong also have a pay model where they don’t pay stupid money for anyone. And Henderson won’t be cheap.
Adelaide have been paying Danger good money anyway so it will only be the difference of his current salary and the Geelong offer.

It would be pretty spectacular if Adelaide match Geelongs offer and force Danger to go into PSD… Being that Carlton have no money and Danger doesn’t want to be based in QLD he could fall to our pick! RIGHT GUYS RIGHT???

You mean by the rules? Because, no they can’t. If they match, he then has the same options of any uncontracted player, he’s not obliged to sign with them.

You mean by the rules? Because, no they can’t. If they match, he then has the same options of any uncontracted player, he’s not obliged to sign with them.

Well, he can enter the draft.
...if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

(I can’t see him entering the draft)

...if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft

From earlier in the same article: “An offer to a restricted free agent may be matched by his club, which has right of first refusal over his services. If the unrestricted free agent does not wish to remain with his original club, he must enter the draft or seek a trade.” (Presumably the ‘unrestricted’ in the second sentence is a typo). Also, from the AFLPA’s official “free agency explained” document for players:

Like Buddys…oh yeah swans had cola, so now way hawks could match it. only club that could was GWS, but he didn’t want to go there.
hawks had a lot of coin for buddy, but he wanted to go to Sydney.
AFL were conditioning hawthorn supporters about buddy leaving as they thought he was going to GWS.
Kind of funny really.

From earlier in the same article: “An offer to a restricted free agent may be matched by his club, which has right of first refusal over his services. If the unrestricted free agent does not wish to remain with his original club, he must enter the draft or seek a trade.” (Presumably the ‘unrestricted’ in the second sentence is a typo). Also, from the AFLPA’s official “free agency explained” document for players:

Right. They’ve got conflicting info on their site then… #governance

Muppets couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery.

Dangerfeild
Amazing
Dangerfeild
Astounding

Dangerfeild
Amazing
Dangerfeild
Astounding

I love it how this thread always seems to end up next to ‘Thread for realists’ on my recent posts feed.