Paul Connors' Kellypalooza 2017

Have your thoughts changed @fogdog ?

1 Like

Is that the Cranbourne line train?

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

1 Like
2 Likes

I bet Rob Shaw is in his ear, coached him at Brighton Grammar and mentored him throughout his time at the school, also good mates with Merrett and McGrath. I reckon we would be number one contender for him, hopefully it isnā€™t above 1mill. Iā€™d rather chuck that sorta cash on a Ollie Wines type player.

13 Likes

Kelly finished 3rd in the MVP +100K.

The Bont provides multiple positions and is that good can turn a game and win it from his own boot.

Kelly is awesome but is only for a midfield role and less versatile, not proven to win a game on his own boot yet.

1 Like

If you not playing 1M+ youā€™re not in the game. And wines isnā€™t worth 1M

2 Likes

Kelly averaged more disposals, tackles, clearances and I50s than Bont. He also had 40 scoring shots, strictly from the midfield, whereas, Bont had 49 playing much more time forward.

He is far more versatile than you think.

10 Likes

Kelly would be our Number 1 midfielder.

Iā€™d offer him Martinā€™s deal plus 3 years. Just do it bombers.

3 Likes

1.2 over 7 is minimum of what itā€™s going to take to get Kelly too Essendon, sign him up.

5 Likes

And you know this to be the minimum, how exactly?

Just my humble opinion Captain.

Well North has offered $10m over 7 years for him reportedly

So, one of the things that hasnā€™t been finalised in the new CBA is whether or not there will be portable free agency (so itā€™s 8 years total, regardless of how many clubs that is), and I believe that gets decided in October so potentially during the trade period. Also, the CBA and broadcast deals run until the end of 2022.

If youā€™re Josh Kelly, might it be potentially more tempting to sign a 4 year contract that sees you come out the other end a 26 year old free agent in your prime, or a 5 year deal at 27 as a new broadcast rights and CBA get signed?

In some ways I think a 7 or 8 year contract would favour the club. Obviously thereā€™s the form and injury risks, which arenā€™t to be scoffed at, but having a star player on 1.1m or 1.2m a year for a couple of years if thereā€™s another 20% pay bump down the road would be a big win.

Anyway, just some late night thoughts.

5 Likes

You can link the contract to be indexed to future rises in the cap.

The contract effectively sets the minimum

1 Like

50mil over 50years.

1mil will be nothing in 10 years

12 Likes

And youā€™ll need 50 mil to buy a house in Melton by that time.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a bargain then!

We could even buy him a house in Melton now so he doesnā€™t have wait till heā€™s 70.

North could be relocated to Tassie within that time the way they going.

Their little strategy has bombed it seems, pushed out elder statesmen, wonā€™t land a marquee player when they had ideas of getting 2, will end up having to trade out Goldstein and be losing Waite and others soon.

Bottoming out risky business when you have barely any supporters

2 Likes