Paws, claws, feathers and fins

I know you’re joking. They taste more like bandicoot.

Actually, I recall one of the episodes of Gourmet Farmer (or whatever that Matthew Evans in Tassie show was). They got some mutton birds (shearwaters -a type of petrel) from someone who could legally harvest them, and the cooked them up. He reported they taste like very oily strong fish - I guess you are what you eat…

Incidentally, I was talking just last week to a bloke in Gippsland who knows an old-timer down there who as a kid used to go mutton-birding on the Bass Strait islands. He repeated what I’d read in an article once: those old-timers would reach into the burrow. If it felt warm, they grab the chick(s). If if felt cold, they’d back out, because that meant there might be a tiger snake. The tiger snakes apparently have evolved to grow larger/quicker on those islands than anywhere else, feeding on whatever they can eat (mostly insects etc) in order to get most of the year’s protein the the few weeks after chicks hatch, but before they get msimply too big for them to swallow.

1 Like

Mutton birds are safe on Lady Julia Percy Island

3 Likes

People who enjoy the taste are known as petrel heads.

4 Likes

Henri Bource (spelling?) wasn’t so safe out there!

1 Like
5 Likes

owlkitty rocks!

1 Like

8 Likes

Can anyone tell me what animal this is? Native mouse?

I could lose hours playing in this website

https://bwvp.ecolinc.vic.edu.au/fieldguide

1 Like

Looks a bit like this Common Dunnart

Trying to keep the dogs away from where I saw it.

6 Likes

May also be an antechinus or a bush rat??
This article is by a pest company but has a good description and photos of a variety of similar looking creatures.
https://fantasticservicesgroup.com.au/blog/australian-marsupials-and-rodents-that-look-like-rats/

Those rodents are known to dig up the ground to get to the succulent lower portions of plants, which has earned them the nickname of “rootrats”.

It is very small and doesn’t look rat-like, but who knows. We have a school next door with a chook pen which often attracts rodents of some description. Our dogs usually take care of any who wanderinto our yard, but this little fella has survived so far. The new pup is actually more interested in trying to swim with the fish in our pond !!

4 Likes

Antechinus are more elongated with quite a pointy snout. Beautiful little things, but a pain if they have one of their mating sessions in your weekender… droppings absolutely everywhere.

1 Like

Apparently my keyboard is comfortable

9 Likes

And filthy!
(mine’s not any better, really)

Yeah I need to clean it, I just get a little lazy. lol

Pro tip - those keys come off!

1 Like

one of the RAT kits I had needed a blue light to see the result. Made the mistake of flashing it onto my keyboard.

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

8 Likes

Its favourite tune is of course, ‘Stray Cat Strut.’

5 Likes