Petition to the Senate

Would be cheaper to coordinate a letter box drop... or billboard ... or pretty much anything else..with the added bonus of not giving a red cent to the media who we despise.

Just a thought.

Yes Billboards are the go. Just be a bit wary about whether or not the usual melbourne boys club owns the company.

Would be cheaper to coordinate a letter box drop... or billboard ... or pretty much anything else..with the added bonus of not giving a red cent to the media who we despise.

Just a thought.

Yes Billboards are the go. Just be a bit wary about whether or not the usual melbourne boys club owns the company.

Don’t get me wrong the most have been theAFL’s messenger but a pull page display in the HS gets my vote and my money

Just a thought.

Don’t get me wrong the most have been theAFL’s messenger but a pull page display in the HS gets my vote and my money

Doesn’t worry me one way or the other.

Just a thought.

I’m guessing that’d be a very large photo in the HS of Jobe holding up the 2017 premiership cup adorned in red and black ribbons.

https://twitter.com/thegovernorsm/status/816951924285026306
Actually makes sense considering the media guns are pointed his way. What better way to avert attention from your party's abysmal performance (ala Gillard) than having an enquiry that discredits your opposition.

Naive - It will also discredit the Turnbull Government - No major party has anything to gain.

Labor has a lot more to lose I reckon, as they were there when it started and it was Labor who strong-armed the AFL into signing up with WADA.

While Libs have not helped, and Ley was right amongst it; just like the Royal Commission into Unions, Turnbull could use it to his advantage. And both sides have form on creating distractions when in trouble in the polls.

I agree with what you are saying but from memory I thought it was Rod Kemp a Howard minister who did the deal with Demetriou for the AFL to come under WADA.

You could be correct about Kemp, I just remember meeting with Kate Ellis back when she was Sports Minister, and she spoke about the importance of ASADA. I might have heard wrong as I was distracted by her long legs and the bevy of supermodel types she had as advisors.

Actually makes sense considering the media guns are pointed his way. What better way to avert attention from your party's abysmal performance (ala Gillard) than having an enquiry that discredits your opposition.

Naive - It will also discredit the Turnbull Government - No major party has anything to gain.

Labor has a lot more to lose I reckon, as they were there when it started and it was Labor who strong-armed the AFL into signing up with WADA.

While Libs have not helped, and Ley was right amongst it; just like the Royal Commission into Unions, Turnbull could use it to his advantage. And both sides have form on creating distractions when in trouble in the polls.

I pose you a question - No-one has satisfactorily answered why the Liberal Government ordered Justice Downes to review ASADA’s investigation - And no-one has ever seen Downes report - It’s obvious that the Liberal Government interfered in ASADA’s investigation which is a No-No in the Anti-Doping world - Doubt the Lib’s want this to be publically released.

At the same time there is always a chance that a circuit breaker causes a Senate Enquiry - Will say a Senate Enquiry needs a wide terms of reference.

Well Yaco, there are so many imponderables in the whole Saga, and why any Government wants to interfere in any process is mystifying to me. Labor got involved for the wrong reasons, based on crap information, and the blackest day in sport ended up a real dud. My experience is that these things are driven by bureaucrats trying to justify their funding, and they give a Politician the opportunity to have his/her face on TV, which most crave for.

I still reckon if any of the 34 or in fact James Hird, Bomba or Danny Had taken the matter to a real court, that it was the only way for everything to be aired. Hirds Court cases were all about jurisdiction and not about the real substance of the charges or claims, so no evidence was ever tested in a real court. I had many legal friends who suggested this was the only way, but James Hird was forced to back down “for the good of the Club” and take his suspension with side benefits. No wonder his mental health has suffered.

I pose you a question - No-one has satisfactorily answered why the Liberal Government ordered Justice Downes to review ASADA’s investigation - And no-one has ever seen Downes report - It’s obvious that the Liberal Government interfered in ASADA’s investigation which is a No-No in the Anti-Doping world - Doubt the Lib’s want this to be publically released.

At the same time there is always a chance that a circuit breaker causes a Senate Enquiry - Will say a Senate Enquiry needs a wide terms of reference.

Well Yaco, there are so many imponderables in the whole Saga, and why any Government wants to interfere in any process is mystifying to me. Labor got involved for the wrong reasons, based on crap information, and the blackest day in sport ended up a real dud. My experience is that these things are driven by bureaucrats trying to justify their funding, and they give a Politician the opportunity to have his/her face on TV, which most crave for.

I still reckon if any of the 34 or in fact James Hird, Bomba or Danny Had taken the matter to a real court, that it was the only way for everything to be aired. Hirds Court cases were all about jurisdiction and not about the real substance of the charges or claims, so no evidence was ever tested in a real court. I had many legal friends who suggested this was the only way, but James Hird was forced to back down “for the good of the Club” and take his suspension with side benefits. No wonder his mental health has suffered.

The AFL will do everything in its power (and that is immense and far reaching) to prevent this matter ever getting anywhere near let alone into a court room. In hindsight, Hird was incorrectly advised, ASADA's CEO had a case of chronic amnesia, the Judge felt immense compassion for her, while the club twisted Hird's arm up his back and the AFL (allegedly played no part in it.) And; Middleton was hoping for a promotion to the High Court. I wonder where he is now?

Signed and sent

signed and sent

‘The job of a professionally conducted internal enquiry is to unearth a great mass of no evidence. If you say there was no intention, you can be proved wrong. But if you say the enquiry found no evidence of an intention, you can’t be proved wrong.’

‘…two basic rules of government: Never look into anything you don’t have to. And never set up an enquiry unless you know in advance what its findings will be.’

'The job of a professionally conducted internal enquiry is to unearth a great mass of no evidence. If you say there was no intention, you can be proved wrong. But if you say the enquiry found no evidence of an intention, you can't be proved wrong.'

‘…two basic rules of government: Subject to horse-trading, never look into anything you don’t have to and never set up an enquiry unless you know in advance what its findings will be.’

I’ve just received this email:

Dear percebushby,

Thank you for your recent email to Senator Di Natale regarding the establishment of a Senate Inquiry to evaluate Australia’s anti-doping framework. The Greens have consistently supported the establishment of an inquiry to fulfil this role.

The current system focuses almost exclusively on the players and ignores many of the individuals and organisations involved in this saga.

This episode has revealed problems in Australia’s anti-doping framework. It has failed players, for whom clubs have a duty of care. It has failed fans, who want to know they’re seeing the best skills, not the best pharmacist. And it has failed all those who want to participate in what should be a really healthy, enjoyable, wholesome activity.

While many of the perpetrators have moved on, 34 current and former Essendon players are now facing the consequences of a club-wide systematic practice, four years after it was uncovered.

The response by Australian authorities has been too slow, wasted enormous resources and achieved very little.

The Greens have been the loudest voice calling on the Sports Minister to initiate a broad independent inquiry to review this case and examine issues such as ASADA’s powers and funding and whether the WADA code, designed for Olympic sports, is appropriate for team sports such as the AFL.

All those things sport teaches you, about teamwork, hard work and accepting the rules of the game are undermined when people do the wrong thing and there’s no effective system to address serious issues when they arise as a consequence.

Thanks for taking the time to write. The Greens are proud to stand with you.

Regards,

Matthew Thomas

Office of Senator Richard Di Natale

Leader of the Australian Greens | Senator for Victoria

Level 14, 90 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

M 0434 431 696 T (03) 9654 0430 E [email protected]

W richard-di-natale.greensmps.org.au

Facebook: facebook.com/SenatorDiNatale

Instagram: @richarddinatale

Twitter: @RichardDiNatale

Sign-up to GreensMPs to receive updates and alerts enabling you to take action on important issues.

Senator Di Natale’s office is on the land of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and legally privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.

If you have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and permanently delete the document.

Love the trumpet-blowing ! At least he replied…

I've just received this email:

Dear percebushby,

Thank you for your recent email to Senator Di Natale regarding the establishment of a Senate Inquiry to evaluate Australia’s anti-doping framework. The Greens have consistently supported the establishment of an inquiry to fulfil this role.

The current system focuses almost exclusively on the players and ignores many of the individuals and organisations involved in this saga.

This episode has revealed problems in Australia’s anti-doping framework. It has failed players, for whom clubs have a duty of care. It has failed fans, who want to know they’re seeing the best skills, not the best pharmacist. And it has failed all those who want to participate in what should be a really healthy, enjoyable, wholesome activity.

While many of the perpetrators have moved on, 34 current and former Essendon players are now facing the consequences of a club-wide systematic practice, four years after it was uncovered.

The response by Australian authorities has been too slow, wasted enormous resources and achieved very little.

The Greens have been the loudest voice calling on the Sports Minister to initiate a broad independent inquiry to review this case and examine issues such as ASADA’s powers and funding and whether the WADA code, designed for Olympic sports, is appropriate for team sports such as the AFL.

All those things sport teaches you, about teamwork, hard work and accepting the rules of the game are undermined when people do the wrong thing and there’s no effective system to address serious issues when they arise as a consequence.

Thanks for taking the time to write. The Greens are proud to stand with you.

Regards,

Matthew Thomas

Office of Senator Richard Di Natale

Leader of the Australian Greens | Senator for Victoria

Level 14, 90 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

M 0434 431 696 T (03) 9654 0430 E [email protected]

W richard-di-natale.greensmps.org.au

Facebook: facebook.com/SenatorDiNatale

Instagram: @richarddinatale

Twitter: @RichardDiNatale

Sign-up to GreensMPs to receive updates and alerts enabling you to take action on important issues.

Senator Di Natale’s office is on the land of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and legally privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.

If you have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and permanently delete the document.

Love the trumpet-blowing ! At least he replied…

Form letter. I got one presactly the same. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Don’t worry about the Greens response, they are onboard.

Also, depends on how you interpret it. There is a crossover with posts on the Saga thread. Difficult to know where to post, so sorry to Mods if incorrect posting on a particular thread.

Greens response to me was same same. Still haven’t heard from local fed MP, I demanded to hear from him not his staff and heard nothing. Boy am I going to get annoying!

If Ley goes out of the cabinet permanently, the chances of support for a senate enquiry will greatly increase IMO. I personally know someone in the cabinet and he is a FB friend. I have been messaging him info for a couple of year over the saga. The need to protect Ley will evaporate if she goes…

Interesting lack of love for Ley from Coalition

Also, depends on how you interpret it. There is a crossover with posts on the Saga thread. Difficult to know where to post, so sorry to Mods if incorrect posting on a particular thread.

Perhaps if everything regarding the petition and senate inquiry was posted in this thread then there would be less confusion and no need to double post everything?

I posted that letter in the wrong thread, guys, sorry. Please move or delete if you can/want to , mods.

Fairybread:
Governments set up enquiries like Royal Commissions.
In this case it would be a Committee of enquiry established by the Senate. Granted, it needs a sufficient number of Senators to support an enquiry, Greens have got them up before
But irrespective of outcomes and terms of reference, Senate enquiries often expose broader issues on which there may be a degree of bipartisanship and which are followed through in other channels.
Need to avoid attacking actions by individual Ministers.
Di Natale identified problems with existing legislation when it was going through Parliament. I judge that there is some commonality - does not need to be complete commonality - with J34 objectives and worth building on.