Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead

Hell of an actor.

Loved him in Happiness.

Could anyone have played that awkward, dysfunctional, troubled role any better ?..doubt it

Also, liked him in Talented Mr Ripley.

46 is so young…

Got a consolation Oscar for playing Truman Capote, when he should have really won it for his part in Doubt. Not often any actor makes Meryl Streep play 2nd fiddle.

This is not the 1st time the Academy has done this - in fact I can think of 2 antipodean actors where the same thing has happened.

With Fairybread. Never heard of this guy - probably a case of me not watching movies.

Got a consolation Oscar for playing Truman Capote, when he should have really won it for his part in Doubt. Not often any actor makes Meryl Streep play 2nd fiddle (my mistake Capote was before Doubt)

This is not the 1st time the Academy has done this - in fact I can think of 2 antipodean actors where the same thing has happened.

I heard this on the radio this morning. I thought they were talking about Dustin Hoffman. I've never heard of this other guy - don't think I've ever seen one of his films.

Sad that he died though.

He's one of the weird pervy guys that hang around the producers place in boogie nights I think, that's where I recognise him from...
I've heard the name a lot though.

Okay so these are some of my favourite roles of the great Philip Seymour Hoffman. I strongly suggest you guys check him out.
Scent of a woman
Boogie Nights
The big Lebowski
Happiness
Almost Famous
Punch drunk love
Capote
Doubt
The Ides of March
The Master
Described today as Streep with a beard. Apt!!

I heard this on the radio this morning. I thought they were talking about Dustin Hoffman. I've never heard of this other guy - don't think I've ever seen one of his films. Sad that he died though.

He's one of the weird pervy guys that hang around the producers place in boogie nights I think, that's where I recognise him from...I've heard the name a lot though.
Okay so these are some of my favourite roles of the great Philip Seymour Hoffman. I strongly suggest you guys check him out.Scent of a womanBoogie NightsThe big LebowskiHappinessAlmost FamousPunch drunk loveCapoteDoubtThe Ides of MarchThe MasterDescribed today as Streep with a beard. Apt!!

I completely forgot he was in scent of a woman one of my all time favourite films.

Got a consolation Oscar for playing Truman Capote, when he should have really won it for his part in Doubt. Not often any actor makes Meryl Streep play 2nd fiddle.

Hell of an actor.
Loved him in Happiness.
Could anyone have played that awkward, dysfunctional, troubled role any better ?...........doubt it
Also, liked him in Talented Mr Ripley.
46 is so young.....

Glad you mentioned Happiness.... It was the first movie that I really became aware of him as a great actor.

We, fans of his work, feel the loss - but that is nothing compared to how his friends and family (esp his kids) must be feeling.

Did research which shows that he is primarily a character actor. Will check out some of the titles.

50 bags of heroin found in his apartment.

Addiction does not discriminate.

Was great in Twister.

Can I just preface this post by saying that Yes, I do think it's tragic that anyone dies.

Now that's over, is anyone here playing "Doug Stanhope's Celebrity Death Pool" online? Seymour's death scored 8 hits which seems a lot but it's got nothing on Pete Seeger's 17, mind you Pete was 94. It sort of runs a bit like Fantasy Footy and there are a bunch of rules that Stanhope threatens to change at any time, for instance rule number one shows that the game takes its responsibility seriously, "Thou shalt not murder thy picks".  Also, picking a celebrity on Death Row is not allowed.

You get 100 points for each "winning" selection minus their age and plus bonus points. Bonus points include "The Lynyrd Skynyrd" where the celebrity dies in an aircraft crash (50 points) and "The Last Call" if the celebrity dies on Dec. 31st (100 points).

If you consider this all incredibly offensive you'll soon get a chance to complain first hand because Doug's touring OZ this year. IMHO, the best standup going round.

Was great in Twister.

"This Gravy should be its own food group"

I've used that line on many an occasion when Gravy is on the table.

Remember when "too soon?" was a thing?

Me either.

Me either.

"Too soon" is only a thing when used as a joke. i.e. Steve Irwin, Princess Di, Michael Jackson, etc, jokes - "Too soon!"

I heard this on the radio this morning. I thought they were talking about Dustin Hoffman. I've never heard of this other guy - don't think I've ever seen one of his films.

Sad that he died though.

He's one of the weird pervy guys that hang around the producers place in boogie nights I think, that's where I recognise him from...
I've heard the name a lot though.

Okay so these are some of my favourite roles of the great Philip Seymour Hoffman. I strongly suggest you guys check him out.
Scent of a woman
Boogie Nights
The big Lebowski

Happiness
Almost Famous
Punch drunk love
Capote
Doubt
The Ides of March
The Master
Described today as Streep with a beard. Apt!!

OK I have seen two of his movies then.

Me either.

"Too soon" is only a thing when used as a joke. i.e. Steve Irwin, Princess Di, Michael Jackson, etc, jokes - "Too soon!"

Or as I found a year or two back...cracks about the Munich air disaster...and that happened in 1957.

one less junkie

boo...

one less junkie

Part of me feels sorry for him, but part of me thinks "He spent ten grand a month on drugs, so it shouldn't be a surprise"