Photos you‘ve taken

Just needed a little correction to DOF. :slight_smile:

I see the Japanese gov are trying to get fujifilm to buy into nikon as nikon is in a bit of bother.

Karma will have to upgrade to Fuji :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy: never as bad as Canon.
The last thing of use that Canon produced was at the Battle of Waterloo!!

Ouch!

2 Likes

Took this before the start of Essendons first game this season. Even the weather gods were supporting the red and black

13 Likes

Charge of the Light Brigade nearly 40 years later.

Canons to the left of them, Canons to the right of them

Beware that every filter will leave a colour cast, and depending on the strength of the ND filter, you will need to Manual focus first then screw it on and shoot. Depending on how good the sensor is, you then have to worry about sensor ISO noise and heat noise etc. These can be removed and adjust in photoshop etc.

I’d lean toward a (circular) polariser first. Their effects are way harder to emulate (if at all) in photoshop, and again, depnding on the type you get, sometimes they can also be used as an ND filter depending how thick etc they are. Main thing to be aware of is how to use it and limitations. Especially if you’re going to use one on a wide angle lense.

I’ve stacked both the Pol (about 2 stops) and ND (10 stops) filter a few times, its a pain to get the right exposure but it’s worth it.

I’ve been a fan of B+W filters as they are made of brass, not aluminum. The glass is also a pretty strong as well. They’re one of the pricier brands but a worthy investment.

2 Likes

yeah, I have a B+W 10-stop ND. It actually puts a warm tone or colour cast on things. Which is good sometimes and not so wanted others, although if you have shot Raw you can usually correct it with White Balance if needed.

2 Likes

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

New photo by burgg81

Merri Creek Trail

Taken on my mobile.

7 Likes

a few from recent Tassie stopover:

12 Likes

ive never really used the on-board modes such as “panorama” etc on my camera’s. But I decided to give it a go. I’m sure that doing it yourself with tripod mounted shots and stitched in software will give far far better results, but Its quite incredible that we’ve reached a point where the camera’s can stitch a series of moving, handheld pics together and produce a finished jpeg in a few seconds !

Looking over Hobart towards Tasman Bridge in left of frame.

4 Likes

Camera advice time. I’m looking to buy a reasonably high quality point and shoot camera. With three small kids to take whenever we go on holidays or day trips, I’ve accepted that it’s impractical and downright difficult to lug around my DSLR and favourite lenses. Since my twin boys were born I haven’t even used it and have been relying on my iPhone for capturing memories, which just doesn’t cut it for me.

So I want something light fast and simple, but it can take great quality portrait shots of my kids as they play, and scenes when we travel. I’ve been doing a tonne of online research and I’m leaning towards one of the following four compacts:

Sony Cybershot RX100 (five models now, III looks in the right price range for what I want)
Panasonic LUMIX LX100
Canon Powershot G5 X

These are all pretty similar in specs. Also, for a much larger zoom:

Panasonic LUMIX TZ100/ZS100/TX1

Has anyone had any experience with these cameras, and can recommend one over the others? I’d love a Fujifilm X100F fixed lens but it’s just too far out of my price range.

I have the LUMIX TravelZoom noted above. When I bought it (and possibly still) it had basically no competition (small form factor, large sensor, more than a token optical zoom). Everything else, you had to choose only one of the last two.

It takes notably better photos than previous cameras of mine due to the larger sensor (and maybe to a lesser extent the glass). Interface-wise I’m a bit under and over whelmed. Not as obvious as other similarly featured Canons I had previously.

If it matches your requirements, I recommend it.

1 Like

I have the RX100 (the first one). This is our travel camera when we are too lazy to take another.

But we also have the Panasonic FZ1000. Same / similar specs as the Sony but with the much bigger zoom. Also being slightly larger you can also use filters if you so desire. Also handy to have a good camera that can take 4k video as well. Should mention too this camera is still getting firmware updates which is good support.

All my Japan photos here are from one of these two cameras.

1 Like

Thanks both of you for the quick replies. I’m gonna go read up on the FZ1000. Hopefully I can get to a store soon and play with some to see how they feel to me.

Edit: hmm, the FZ1000 looks great but bulky like my DSLR. I think slim and light is a go for me. The trade off between having a nice zoom like the TZ100 and great max aperture like the others makes it a tough choice.

When you say portraits, what are you hoping for?

If the X100F appeals but is too expensive the Fuji X70 might appeal. But the lens is a little wider and not as fast. It still has the apsc xtrans sensor though, which is a good thing. It will produce great IQ but obviously the fixed lens (28mm eq) requires a different approach.

If you do like a fixed 28mm lens, the Ricoh Gr is a great camera.

Pana LX100 is also a great little camera. Good fun to use, lots of external controls and a decent size sensor (although it doesnt use all of it in certain aspect ratios). Its now a runout model and top value imo. Has an EVF too and the lens is good though not a huge zoom range.

The Rx100 range is good in IQ but Sony ergo’s can be a bit hit and miss for some people. Mkiii and beyond have a nifty little popup EVF. Smaller sensor but probably just as good for IQ most of the time.

Keep in mind that the smaller the sensor, the less ability to throw backgrounds out of focus. Hence asking what you want from portraits.

The super zooms are obviously far more versatile but generally slower and will stretch the iso capabilities of the sensor.

1 Like

Cheers Sal. Yeah, I’ve been reading plenty on pretty much all of what you say here. I’d like some zoom functionality rather than a fixed lens, as a lot of what I take is of the moment - like my kid doing something amusing, or perhaps a street scene - and I often want to close in the frame rather than position myself or have to crop later.

I do like bokeh and having the subject sharp in focus with the background blurry. Looking at sample galleries of the LX100 I’m thinking it might be a good fit for me. It’s now three years old but still seems to hit a lot of the points for good IQ and at a good price (around ¥60,000 new here in Japan but being sold in less and less places these days, so similar price to the TZ100, with the others discussed being a bit more expensive). And Panasonic don’t seem to be in a hurry to release a newer model of it.

Thanks, I’m gonna mull it over some more.