Pick 34 - Who Do We Take?

The average players picked at 34 are not much better.

If we only hit the average return for pick #34, it doesn’t matter their position we’ll likely be delisting them after 2-3 years.

1 Like

How many pick 34’s fundamentally change your club ? No certainty to get a B Graders at 34 - You have unrealistic expectations.

1 Like

You might as well ask how many Pick 79s fundamentally change your Club.

It only takes one…

By the way, we don’t have Pick 79 this year — but we DO have Pick 80.

3 Likes

Yeah, and the boy Fantasia goes ok at 55. Merrett at 26 is more than a player. Tippa via the rookie list, Conor via Ireland… I’ll be honest, I expect a champion at 34 these days.

6 Likes

I would be pretty happy if one of these guys slipped to us @ 34

Bailey Williams
Ely Smith
S.Stack

I don’t think he should be available just for that reason

Until one of them turns into the star big bodied mid we have been looking for, we will continue to recruit medium defenders!

2 Likes

Td1 how do you rate bailey Williams? Pros and cons?

I say small x factor high pressure forward.

Just cause I love em.

1 Like

Not quite

Per this https://www.draftguru.com.au/analysis/pick-value-comparison

Just under a third (1 every 3.1 picks ) will play >100 games
Just under a third (1 every 3.4) will be sub <10 games

Top 20 for me

Pros
Elite Leap
Can go forward
Moves well for his size

Cons
Inconsistent kicking
Physicality

He sits on peoples heads both forward and at ruck contests, think McKernan but taller and a far better Ruckman

1 Like

So if falls to our pick you’d take without hesitation? (Assuming no other surprise).

Might lead to an entire rejig of the draft list strategy if it means we don’t take mature ruck back up if we get Williams.

Of course there’s a lot of ifs and assumptions on my part there.

Anyway, today’s random thought process from me is that all of the Vic mids are overrated. All of them. Obviously some will go high, and others will fall, but I have some concerns on the majority of the main ones compared to the how they seem to be perceived. I keep going back to the video of (for example) Bailey Smith, and seeing all of the negatives, where everyone else seems to only see the positives.

2 Likes

What are your negatives of Smith Frosty?

How much have you seen of them?

I think his disposal is a bit average
I think he’s a player that, in spite of being apparently a good runner does most of his work at the goal face, and he’s not as clean there as you might like, and doesn’t seem to create time in the contest.
I also wonder about his explosive speed

I like his intensity, and how hard he appears to tackle.

I reckon he might end up a “defensive mid” type, which is probably not what people are thinking from a top 5 draft pick who others think is “the most complete” mid in the draft.

Disclaimer. I have seen fk all, so may be very very wrong, just my vibe. Probably be a good footballer, and depending on the way the game evolves may be very very good. Just seems a bit agricultural to me.

As I have said, I have seen fk all. Just my vibe. I think as a general thing Vic’s get overrated on the forums. But I’m probably very very very wrong.

2 Likes

It makes sense.

For SA and WA you have mainly heard about the 6 main guys for each state who played mid in champs games.

For Victoria you might have heard of 20-30 blokes across the TAC.

1 Like

Agree. There also seems to be stacks of “dominated APS/AGS” mentioned when talking about Vic juniors, which I think should be weighted very very minimally when considering whether they’ll make it at AFL level.