Pick 48

Liam Ryan
Tim Kelly
Nick Hind

for our next three picks

4 Likes

When pick 48 is called, Dodoro should ask for extra time.

9 Likes

Not sure if serious? I’m assuming not.

Orazio went in the 50’s a few years ago during the draft sanctions.

Dodoro seems to do his best drafting when having to find gems with crap picks.

3 Likes

You’d hope he wasn’t serious. Two very unexciting players.

1 Like

HBF vanilla panick merchant for mine, plz.

1 Like

When in doubt, pick the skinny half back flank, that uses the ball well with excellent character. We expect him to develop into a midfielder.

3 Likes

On the basis we take a kpf as DFA as depth, and from Fogs comments Close might be it.

We either need a state league clearance mid or some more outside pace / small fwd cover, i’d rather the latter.

No guarantee Green is able to come back effectively next season from this foot which dogged him previously.

If either TIPPA or Raz went down be great to have another excitement machine in the wings.

Not sure if it’s going too early on him but that Liam Ryan looks a serious talent. Knows where the goals are and takes hangers all the time. Betts 2.0

Too subtle?

2 Likes

Luckily, I can remember that you wanted to use pick 6 on Dyson back in 2003.

Could be worse though…pazza wanted to use pick 6 on Matt Rosa’s older brother, who was much shittier than Matt.

1 Like

I also thought James Davies would be a quality league footballer. I blame the copious amounts of Kilkenny i used to put away back then.

1 Like

Pretty sure he took over from Moorcroft as coach of Bundoora at beginning of this year

Dominic Grant

Presuming there’s no Rioli’s. Otherwise, pick the Rioli. Always pick the Rioli.

8 Likes

Since the best mids often go in rounds 1-2, does that mean we should go for a KPD? e.g. Hooker was pick 50-something

Needs more leadership qualities.

Fantasia was 55. I get your point though. I just question if EFC has the patience for someone like that. We did not have for Hooker and by dumb luck managed to keep him. Two more recent examples are Aaron Francis and Sean Gregory.

I suspect Dodo has gotten some credit for good late picks when, if fact, the credit maybe belongs with the person pointing him to a player not on other clubs’ radar.
For example, it seems Basset was the one who put us onto Fantasia, and the 3 Frankston HBFs (Hibberd, Batuley, Van Unen) all came from our spotter at Frankston (Simon Goosey).
Having said that, it is still Dodo who finally weighs up the recommendations he receives and makes the choice.
I 'm not sure about Hartley, Tippa and Brown who were all good late picks, but were well known to everyone at the time we drafted them.
The idea the Dodo is good at plucking unknowns as good late picks is heavily dependent on getting the good oil from our recruiting network.

1 Like

So, Hind?
Good idea.

1 Like

The give Benfti a pick option sounds a good one, both he and Jacket’s like looking for upside.

I reckon Walla should get to run his own rookie training academy given what he has achieved, he had a couple of fellas join him for his training run in Kununurra, and when you consider how hot and humid Kununurra is this time of year, that is no small feat.

Other than a remote Benfti/Walla special or two, we will probably be looking for a late developing inside midfield beast who needs to refine his skills but is showing a lot of dedication (how’s Nash Holme’s going?), or a skinny skilled livewire player who needs some kg (Raz 2.0) or a Cale Hooker size beast who was a skilful smaller player once and hasn’t adjusted to his body size yet.

These ideas might be lower picks but one thing we do know, is Jacket’s and co. are the masters of finding players with a lot of hidden upside.

1 Like

It’s pick #48 in a supposedly weak draft. Frankly, if we can turn that guy into an AFL footballer in any position, the recruiting team has done well.

That has to be among the worst reasons to recruit someone I’ve heard.