Politics

Yep.

Except that the ALP are very good at local polling that tells them chances of winning seats. Back when Labor took Corangamite off an Lib who had held the seat forever and there was a large swing needed, most gave Labor no chance, but local polling adding to a redistribution showed different, so they through big dollars at it.

Now even if you are running for Council it can cost $10K or more to run a campaign to win. I was always a cheapskate and relied my good looks and sparkling personality.

Greens have almost the exact same system including tithing, with the exception that candidates are pretty much not allowed to find their own campaigns.

Partly because the Greens have traditionally been upper house focused and partly to weed out fkwits.

Hmmm, … sour grapes much??

How good were the Simpsons in the 90s?

3 Likes

Another Greens policy that has not worked

Let’s not go down that path. For every Rhiannon sized stone you throw I can hurl back Latham and Rudd size rocks.

Yep fair call.

Rhiannon is more sane than Latham

Charles Manson is more sane than Latham.

Heck, I don’t even blame you guys for him. Not even Labor could turn a bloke in to that much of a flog.

So what current misdeeds are being covered up that this needs to be dredged up?

distract from gay marriage?

Book launch, self promotion.

She has been refused access to correspondence between the Palace and Kerr, documents that are held in Australia. That’s what she’s after.

I missed that decision - what was the rationale for rejecting her application/

Was it the vibe?

IIRC, the rationale was that correspondence from the Queen is off limits. It is unclear whether that rule is Palace or government-driven

It should be law-driven if it was taken to the courts. Their should be a legal basis of turning down her application not just “palace says no”.

"Bruce Billson had begun drawing a $75,000 a year salary from the Franchise Council of Australia before he left parliament in 2016. He failed to disclose to the parliament’s register of interest that he had started drawing a salary from the lobby group. He also failed to disclose that he had been appointed a director of the council.

It is a rule of parliament that MPs must declare all sources of income and directorships to the register of interests."

But no worries:

“Turnbull revealed the Govt had cleared Billson of breaching ministerial standards and the lobbying code of conduct.”

FFS. Something as egregious as this and the Tories think it’s OK.

Makes you wonder what else they are getting away with.

4 Likes

Billson was cleared of lobbying fellow MPs while in office, but he still faces charges of contempt of Parliament. Not sure how that works, but if it is limited to the Reps, he probably has the numbers. There is some sort of rule that an MP has to sit out 18 months before taking up a position related to his job after leaving Parliament. But as for taking $75k while a Minister?

I’m now quite sur we have the most corrupt government in Australian history right now.

2 Likes

Thanks to Richard.

Wow. This new energy policy has no modelling. It just another “let the industry do what it wants” thing. It’s absolutely dumb. So the market determines the best route to reductions but there’s a catch in there that you have to buy coal. Not only does this make emission reductions harder (and meeting obligations) it also pushes up prices artificially because coal and gas require fuels whereas renewables are the cheap option with no marginal running cost. So it actually does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do on both emissions and prices.

This is simply mind bogglingly insane policy and if it doesn’t get exposed through the media then this country is seriously stuffed.

4 Likes