Politics

Need a big swing and clear majority Labor gov - and I don’t vote labor atm.

I think their tune has changed somewhat and some decisive policy decisions on refugees, housing, energy, tax, Medicare etc are needed.

Not a pretty thought though

My only real problem with Shorton is his lack of appeal, and by extension his parties appeal in general

Seriously how ■■■■ so you actually have to be to for it to be a question of who is the better option out of yourself as pm and your party to govern over the worst government we have had in 80 years?

You know your bad when you can’t look better than the incumbent and growing numbers are swinging to the PHONS, Xenaphons and Greens of the world.

Unbelievable, Cash claiming in the Senate that the length of time a staffer worked in her office is subject to the public interest immunity .
And the AWU can’t find the staffer who fell on his sword on the leak to the media to serve a subpoena on him.

No 60 plus person I know votes Liberal

1 Like

Whereas all the ones I know do, haha. They love Pauline, though.

More and more I hear, “We just need a leader who has conviction! Who will just DO something!” They can never tell me what they should do. Just… “ANYTHING!”

Working for Trump supporters :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That is frogshit even benno.

I bet you have never met Bill Shorten and judge him on Fairfax /Newscorp. He has done a great job as Leader and while I didn’t vote from him, I am glad he won. He will make a great PM.

I don’t talk to this type of moron.

That may very well be the case, but he can’t meet everybody personally in the country.

Shorten would do well to promote his team as a group of leaders. After all we aren’t quite the US yet. Obviously little sneaks like Sam D dont make things easy but talk team, united front, subvert personality politics and posit himself as a very experienced coordinator of talent while projecting the absolute opposite on the Squibs.

Labour are so bad at capitalising on good fortune, have to wonder where their advisers are coming from and why they’re paying them. I’m very glad there’s a strong indie in my electorate.

And come on he is only showing as 34% in preferred PM polls

Yet the party as a whole is way in front

A block of cheese could probably poll higher

I wouldn’t vote for Gouda.

3 Likes

So counting continues in Qld almost a week after the election. Not sure why it takes that long - it’s gone from about 75% counted to 83% over about 3 whole days. Labor only needs one more now though, with 6 still to call.
Interesting inconsistency between the Courier Mail and Brisbane Times (Fairfax), with the former reporting 39 LNP seats vs 36 at the latter. Surely they have the same data

Yep farking popularity polls are really important

Bill beats down all the allegations from a royal commission, unites a bitterly divided ALP and puts out over 100 solid, workable policies, and you think a populArity poll is important. Greens sometimes have a heart, but never have a brain.

Is it because it would be a dual citizen?

Surely by now you realise that popularity plays an enormous part in who gets elected?

Alice Workman now reporting that subpoena has been served on staffer but Cash asking for her subpoena to be set aside
When you have to swear under oath in a court , no wonder. Not surprising that AFL raises all the legal straw dogs to prevent Gil and Fitzpatrick appearing.
Workman also reporting Cash’s attack on her, Cash overruled by the Chair that Workman could not factually report conversations at the Committee

1 Like

FMD. Dutton saying that the Banking and Financial Servjces Royal Commission an opportunity to investigate Union links to super funds,
Coalition has already done a Union Royal Commission.

1 Like

Well Ben, then it demonstrates how naive our Voters are.

Might be valid in a Presidential system like the USA, where POTUS rules the Country, but in our Westminster Parliamentary democracy, the PM has no such power or role, and the Opposition Leader has no power at all. Both have jobs to lead and be spokesperson for their Parliamentary Party, and whether they are popular or not should be irrelevant.

In fact for some large egos, like KRudd, popularity just added to his dictatorial style which led to his downfall.

Now I have always subscribed to respect for our Leaders, and whether I like Abbott, Turnball, Rudd, Shorten or Gillard has no merit in how I decide to vote. In fact,my vote is all about Policy and how it is good for me, my family and my Nation.

Leaders such as Shorten have copped criticism over many things, and having read above a rebuke for Shorten for arriving in Tasmania after miners were rescued to take the limelight, is amusing and factually incorrect, but sounds like a good story to beat up on a Leader so why not. We do it all the time, and the scrutiny and unbending bad publicity that James Hird endured is just another example of our willingness to bring those Tall Poppies down.

If Bill Shorten was not belittled by the NewsCorp/Fairfax media then he is probably not doing his job, and after being cleared of any wrong doing by a Royal Commission, he is still “not liked”. As I said I have now met Bill a number of times and I like him, I respect the hard work and character he showed in uniting a Labor Party after the Rudd debacle and think he has the aptitude and resolve to Lead our Nation. I do like him, but did not vote for him.

As you know I am no fan of the Greens and while I do like much of their policy I am disappointed in their approach and actions. I have never met Richard DiNatale, and do not dislike him at all, and I respect him as a Leader. He has done some dumb things, but who hasn’t.

It has always been a great lament of mine that Australia generally loves kicking our Leaders and other greats in the Community. Whether it be Bill Shorten, Tony Abbott, Mal Turnball or James Hird, they deserve our respect for their efforts and not our scorn.

2 Likes

I can only hope that there are people who look at other things, but yeah, I feel a lot of people vote for the party on who they’d like for PM

I would rather twenty Sam D’s than have even one Erica betz.