Politics

But he is a beetroot-headed twerp.

1 Like

He’s her man servant.

No, his official designation is something like traveling companion.

“emotional support human”

5 Likes

Pollies are given the right to designate a family member for the purposes of travel allowances. Seems that “ family” is capable of wide definition and family members other than partners are exempt from the financial disclosure provisions.

1 Like

You’ve listened to too many George Carlin pieces. Even he got bored with that stuff…albeit took a while.

No, I don’t know who he is except the name is familiar from the podcast (?) thread.

My remark was due to so many Americans having to take “emotional support” animals on plane flights with them.

Did you see the story recently about the lady who tried to fly with an emotional support peacock?

1 Like

Buzzfeed has gone public that a TV journalist confirmed a tip- off on the AWU raid by a staffer in the office of the Justice Minister ( Keenan). Under the then arrangements, the AFP was required to inform Keenan in advance of the raid.

1 Like

Seriously we’ve had the Joyce sex affair, and Turdball’s 50’s morality sermon and Cash’s sex rumours and Bishop’s unmarried partner all in the space of a few days, have I missed anything? Oh yes, the titillating Sixty Minutes interview of the NZ PM.
Meanwhile real wages fall, our rivers are destroyed, foreign aid is cut, etc etc etc.
Smokescreen tactics.

Never heard of George, really? Well when George started this stuff decades ago it was sort of fresh, now it’s just a standard media cliche.

‘Officially’…

Hey hey…

1 Like

We need an independent Commonwealth Anti corruption commission.

4 Likes

Its findings would put 95% of politicians out of a job.

1 Like

Very few if any Politicians are corrupt. In my experience, all the expenses claims they make are within the rules, which is where the problem is. They are very lax and allow too much leeway, and it is often months before any accounting is done.

Printing allowances are an area of much conjecture, as MP’s get a printing allowance and it is for mailings to their electorate as the Local Member and not be used for elections, but try getting anyone to decide between election and non-election material !! I would favor a set amount like now, maybe smaller, as mail-outs and postage has changed with social media etc, and let the MP spend it on whatever they like, but make it part of their taxable income, so they need to justify it to the ATO.

Travel is even more difficult as the guidelines are ambiguous, and the amounts are very open-ended. Again I would give a fixed amount and make it taxable unless they can justify it.

I have worked in many MP’s offices both Back-benchers and Ministers, and funds are a continual night-mare. Like many places, some in charge are very careful but others are slack. Make it hurt them directly in the pocket would focus their attention.

The risk vs reward for most politicians to be corrupt is just too great for many to even contemplate.

To jeopardise their reputation, future career prospects and their pensions for anything less than a million dollars would simply not be worth it.
In addition, nobody wants to have their name negatively plastered all over the newspapers.

Sure there are exceptions every now and then but by and large they are either honest or accept that it’s just not worth it.

Also the problem with an anti-corruption Commission is that it invariably becomes a Star Chamber because if they don’t find anything then it won’t exist.

Much like ASADA and its focus on headache tablets and protein shakes. They are forced to sink to that level because by and large Australian sport is clean. And without convictions for something, anything then why is it there?

2 Likes

Wow, I always feel sick when I find myself agreeing with you.

I feel very sick.

1 Like

Maybe, as to corruption (which is a very subjective proposition) but no federal ICCAC, now that is something Mr/Mrs/Ms 12 has gotten very wrong.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/greens-candidate-alex-bhathal-under-fire-for-saying-her-preston-street-is-poor/news-story/a7e368ff0c09491010efdf425e40ea8f

This is amusing. She ticks all the boxes.

If only I was a subscriber and could thus see it

nextgens/anti-paywall/blob/master/README.MD