Port Review Thread

We won on effort but a stack of players (including half of the forward line) can play a lot better than that.

4 Likes

What happens against our next three opponents - most would say are 50:50s right now. (Coll, Melb, Haw) As such, they are season makers or breakers .

I counted 4 times (prolly more than just the4 times stood out) that a kid in his first game just did little things like spoil or chase hard to tackle , just little things like that. You do that wvery week and who knows. Don’t and we get the last 2 weeks.

5 Likes

Bbq or sweet and sour sauce?

Great win, delivered through a commitment to pressure and effort all over the ground. No doubt our structure was much better as well with Hooker back, Guelfi providing that pressure through the middle and Stringer up forward.

Would have loved for us to put them away in the third quarter and avoid a few of those nervy moments in the last but compared to Rounds 2 & 3, it was all positive today!

1 Like

There is a correct answer @scotty21

Perhaps- but more likely just another way to dismiss a decent performance by the team or undermine the credibility of the win.

1 Like

Our biggest win of the season too.

Felt like we should have won by 10 goals but we let them back deep in the third and gave them a few goals in the last with some goals out the back and some horrible turnover errors.

But above all it was great to see the tackling pressure and hard running that makes us hard to beat. THIS is why it’s so damn frustrating when you see us c*ck it up against muppet teams. Who would have thought hard running and tackling can result in such rewards?

On the good, positional changes worked. Hooker looked good dpown back and he seems to calm down the panic merchants down there, Hurley looked more composed but I thought Hartley stood another inch or two taller. He backed himself today and I’ve been a critic of him but he really had a good game, when he’s big, bold and strong and doesn’t take sh*t he looks far, far better. Stringer up forward was great, could have had 6 and he just gives us something from nothing. Good to see some of his hard work pay off.

Really liked what Guefli has added, in what was a fantastic first game. 9 contested possessions, smothered, set up a goal to Tippa and most importantly just put his head over the fcking ball. Leave this c*nt in, gives us an edge. Probably the best thing to come from today. Heppell was mostly good, Zaka was mostly good for his run, Myers was FAR, FAR better. Devon Smith didn’t have his most effective game with the ball but boy oh boy does he add so much more with his tackling pressure, 14! I also thought Stewart was great in the first half and Bags had his best game for the year. Also Belly did this week what he should of last week.

On the downside, Danhier isn’t quite there yet, Tippa needs to contribute a bit more, Begley does some nice things but maybe needs to find more ball, Faz is slowly getting there, and whilst Zerrett isn’t at his best that was his best game all year, but what’s with him slipping over so much? If we can cut out the errors and horrible shanks it’s anyones game for Anzac Day.

6 Likes

Pretty close. :smirk:

4 Likes

Yes. Well called there!!

1 Like

A good win for the Bombers. A fricken super amazing win for the Supercoaches here on Blitz AMIRITE!!!

1 Like

Very pleased for players & supporters this week after last week’s debacle. First game we’ve been down to since the final last year so just happy to see a good effort & a win! :blush:

2 Likes

How good is my boy GUELFI

26 Likes

That was great, but it doesn’t give me any belief. We went for it from the first bounce and never let up, even when making a succession of basic skill errors. Port weren’t bad; they just weren’t as hard at it as we were.

The reason it gives me no belief is that there’s nothing to make me think that it’s any more than another one-off, to be followed by a couple of insipid non-efforts such as we saw in the last two weeks. When we put together four or five really solid efforts I’ll start to believe.

It might be a good idea for someone to have a word in Dyson Heppell’s ear and tell him that the general idea is to kick towards the attacking end of the ground, not away from it.

1 Like

Much better but still some unexplained turnovers under almost zero pressure. We might need to test some of the players for colour blindness. What a great debut from Gueilfi. Hard to remember a better one in recent years , effort tackle , smother composure.

1 Like

Much more committed effort by the entire team!
Need to play like that every week!

That definitely had 10 goal win written all over it on another day.

Baguley has his moments at times but you want effort every week, this bloke gives blood!

17 Likes

the other 19 were from frees

2 Likes

We need these heart and soul players at the moment. Gueilfi showed them too . Stunning debut imo

2 Likes