Port Review Thread

According to the official AFL player ratings this was a career best game for David Myers…hahaha that is peak Essendon

2 Likes

It’s a common refrain that anyone can lay a tackle, and anyone can apply pressure, but there’s ■■■■ all players across the league who do it as regularly and intensely as guys like Baguley.

11 Likes

Going to celebrate this win with a double beef and bacon meal, and because its outside of lunch hours I’m going to pay FULL PRICE for it.

28 Likes

I thought Bags moved pretty well today, too.

Keeps his spot for sure atm. In fact, it’s been great to have him back.

1 Like

I said earlier in the thread that Myers saved his career today… but Jeezuz I didn’t know that ranking wise it was his best game.

1 Like

I feel like I’m a long way out of step regarding Hartley. Ambrose straight in for mine, particularly against the Pies (for Stevenson maybe).

3 Likes

What was happening with the playing surface? Players slipping over, sliding, divets and chucks of grass everywhere. Was there rain in Melbourne last night?

yep - still too many bad decisions and disposal errors. Still, it does say that we have lots of room for improvement. So that’s encouraging.

Port were undefeated and top of the ladder, and we were playing poorly. We could’ve dropped our bundle, andPort could have seen a team that was weak and easy to pressure into poor play. Instead we regrouped and played hard pressure football. Position wise we played to our strengths. Well done to the coaches for see that was the way to go. And we got a very nice debutant in Guelfi. A lot to like about today and shows that what we thought is a good side on paper is indeed a good side when they play as they should.

Now, let’s string 4 or 5 wins in a row.

4 Likes

Agreed - would love to get an opinion from someone closer to the ‘clubrooms’, but my hypotheses is that the turf at Etihad looks longer these days (longer blade = longer roots), so that helps turf stability, but its still hard underfoot, so the players are using ‘soft blades’ to alleviate the shock (which can bring on shin splints, fascitis, Achilles fatigue etc.) to the foot and lower leg. The two really don’t match (blades on long turf)

Those who asked for application and hardness as an in got what they asked for today. Decidedly greater level of application. Welcome reversal of form from entire midfield group. Myers, Heppell and Zerrett need to be recognised for the effort they put in today.
Good first game from Guelfi. Real in and under type who was intent on the 1%ers.
After the criticism I gave the club and players last week I feel it would be hypocritical to think that all is sunshine and happiness after today’s win. Still some issues with getting the ball out of the back half at kick ins. And still some issues with the quality of disposal.

In terms of on field endeavour today’s game should set the benchmark as the minimum standard for the rest of the year.

6 Likes

AFL looking after player welfare as always.

No, Port lost, and had to eat a bag of Kochs.

1 Like

I s’pose you think you’re clever. :wink:

We’ve got a live one with Guelfi.

1 Like

More wob recommended state leaguers, less peeto recommended state leaguers.

6 Likes

TBH, initially I thought Hurley was put forward, and I thought to myself; “oh no, not this ■■■■ again”… Then I realised, um no wait, it’s Hooker gone BACK.

1 Like

■■■■ them both. Ketchup ftw

actually thought you were alright. this is the end scotty. dont talk to me or my son again.

3 Likes

Is Stewart okay? Left the field limping in the last quarter.