Recruitment of a ruckman

According to Leunberger's manager he is moving for not more than the average AFL wage.

Will probably end up a third rounder.

Unlikely. We paid overs. It was guaranteed (in opinion) on Blitz just the other day.

Greg Swan just said on SEN that they will match the offer.

Kents.

If they do, what is our plan? I hope we chase a different ruckman. I think if Lobbe will leave port heā€™d be a better option, but it would mean weā€™d have to trade with Port again.

Offer them pick 43 and let them decide whether they take 43, accept the compo pick which is around 39ish or let him enter the draft and get jack!

We will get him for free or pick 43

If they match the offer, so be it. Let them keep him on their list.

ā€œNO DEALā€ [Insert Andrew Oā€™Keefe gif here]

Theyā€™ve been shopping him for months, hoping to game the system for a broken ruck they donā€™t want. When he gets what heā€™s worth they have a sook.

Compo will be gone next year for sure.

They've been shopping him for months, hoping to game the system for a broken ruck they don't want. When he gets what he's worth they have a sook.

Compo will be gone and I think the AFLPA will push to abolish RFA and drop UFA to eight years.

Clubs have noone to blame but themselves.

Letā€™s talk turkey on Aish then.

25 and 41 for Looneyburger and Aish.

They've been shopping him for months, hoping to game the system for a broken ruck they don't want. When he gets what he's worth they have a sook.

Compo will be gone and I think the AFLPA will push to abolish RFA and drop UFA to eight years.

Clubs have noone to blame but themselves.

The first 8 years should be you get traded to where ever the club wants, no choice, no denying, then after 8 years players leave for where ever they want and no compo no trade.

According to Leunberger's manager he is moving for not more than the average AFL wage.

Will probably end up a third rounder.

Unlikely. We paid overs. It was guaranteed (in opinion) on Blitz just the other day.

I reckon leunberger is on 400 or even less. It matches up with the compo.

WADA appeal at the last minute - Brisbane are the first to match a FA offer; Only at Essington!

If Essendon hand over a 2nd round pick I will loose my ā– ā– ā– ā– !

Talls should be a key priority. You never know if any good ones will be available at your picks, and next year is a mid's draft. We need to be drafting talls now to replace the holes in the list and that by the time they're ready, Hooker will probably be nearly out.

Iā€™m not saying take a heap of them now, but certainly we need 2-4 across the draft and if good ones are present at our picks, we should snap them up. Weā€™ll still have plenty of picks weā€™ll use on midfielders. Which, unless there is a clear out wonā€™t get game time anyway.

I'm really confused by our strategy here. I completely understood chasing Clarke etc. when Bellchambers hadn't re-signed because I was fully expecting him to leave. However, listening to Dodoro on the Twomey podcast last night, it sounds like they're desperately trying to get a 2-ruck combo and that Smack isn't part of it. Maybe he'll be our CHF with Bellchambers + 1 rucking, and Hooker back.
It is a worry. I don't think we want to be playing 2 lumbering rucks and 2 tall forwards. If it's 2 rucks it needs to be just one tall forward and some mid-sized guys like The Langford.

Personally Iā€™d like to see a setup where we have TBell & Smack sharing the ruck and resting forward. Pretty much a 50/50 split. Then have just Joe as a tall forward.
Injury cover depends a bit on who we recruit, but Iā€™d assume/hope that Looneyburger will be fighting for TBellā€™s spot in the above structure so only one of them plays. Maybe play 2 of them if McKernan or Joe gets injured.

And yet all but one of the top 5 clubs played a 2 ruck, 2 KP forwards combo (HAW: Roughead, Gunston, McEvoy, Hale. WCE: Kennedy, Darling, Naitanui, Sinclair. Freo: Pav, Taberner, Sandi, Griffen. Syd: Franklin, Tippett, 1 of Reid/Goodes, Pyke). The only one that doesn't (North) instead played 3 KP forwards during the finals (Waite, Petrie, Brown).

So not wanting to play 2 rucks 2 KP forwards puts you way out of line with the best teams in the competition.

Hawks - McEvoy and Hale both genuine lumberers, however Gunston and Roughie are basically midfielders that are 193-195cm tall (they also played Schoenmakers at CHF through the finals which allowed Roughie to push up the ground more) West Coast - Sinclair is a lumberer, the other 3 are extremely mobile Freo - irrelevant to this argument as they never settled on one combo for any significant period this season. They basically attempted to play a third ruckman/lumberer at CHF the whole year and it didn't work Sydney - Pyke and Tippett are lumberers, Reid is about on par with Kennedy, Goodes and Franklin are like Gunston and Roughie Norf - Goldy, Petrie and Brown are lumberers, Waite is quite mobile

Personally I donā€™t think Northā€™s setup was successful in the finals, which essentially means that of 4 talls you can only afford 2 lumberers, and definitely not 2 in the same forward line (which is what we got whenever Carlisle and T-Bell were down there at the same time)
One thing all those sides have as well (except Sydney perhaps) is at least 2 legitimately quick small forwards capable of chasing down opponents with the ball

With our current list I think a forward line of Daniher, 2 X tallish mediums (Langford, Edwards, Ambrose etc) and occasionally a resting ruckman is likely to work best

Lol, our current list isnā€™t anywhere near the park so lets not worry about that. Lets worry about what we want to create. :slight_smile:

And Iā€™d say Hooker and McKernan if played at CHF and 3rd tall forward are pretty mobile. Belly in 2013 was the best #2 ruck in the league (by goals & hit-outs). If JD could improve weā€™d be reasonably ok. The backline would be stuffed for talls, and weā€™d be praying no injuries to Hooker or JD, but heh, nothing is perfect!

You are right that our list is nowhere near it, but unless you expect JD, Langford etc NOT to be part of our future why wouldnā€™t you be basing your forward line set up around them?

VERY late reply.

Just that given the time to our next premiership, we have the time to try and build an optimal forward line rather than a makeshift one. And I see Langford as a midfielder.

On HAPā€™s point (not quoted) the reason the young mids will have problems getting game time is that unless Worsfold changes things a lot all of Goddard, Watson, Stanton, Heppell, Howlett, Myers, Hocking, Zaharakis, Zerrett and possibly Cooney will be in front of them when fit. That only leaves 2-3 spots across the forward line, which Dempsey might be fighting for. So as I said, young mids drafted this year (who will be behind Edwards/Jerrett/Laverde/Langford/McKenna to begin with) will struggle for game time unless the injury gods send a wrecking ball (again).

Looney will retire just about the time we are starting to challenge, but at least he would have held up the development of the guy who replaces him.

This is a worse (but less expensive) idea than getting Cooney. But less excuses this year, because we have the hindsight of getting Cooney.

I so agree with this.

Iā€™m sure that is going to work really well for them. Match an offer for a guy that wants out.

I donā€™t see any clubs giving up a 2nd rounder for himā€¦ and I would be really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  if we do.

I still think Burger can reject their offer and nominate for the draftā€¦ not sure.

Hahahahaha they are trying to do a Danger with Lueny!

The compo pick is spot on for him. Seriously I wouldnā€™t even give them a third rounder.

He is injury prone, they werenā€™t playing him and werenā€™t serious about keeping him.

Fark off Brisbane Bears.

I'm sure that is going to work really well for them. Match an offer for a guy that wants out.

I donā€™t see any clubs giving up a 2nd rounder for himā€¦ and I would be really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  if we do.

I still think Burger can reject their offer and nominate for the draftā€¦ not sure.

Whoops!
He can nominate for the draft