Recruitment of a ruckman

I think we all know the answer guys, Milham, case closed!!
You just got the list and sorted by height, right?
I reckon we're going to draft one somewhere.

Iā€™d main list one, because with Giles being replaced by Leuenberger the odds that that position on the list is injured just went up. Also weā€™ve used Carlisle in the ruck, so weā€™re down on numbers compared to last year. And we were paper thin last year.

Big Gach

Absolutely.
And see if Woosha can get Big Cox to mentor him.

Smugā„¢

Smugā„¢

Is claiming it was a hack tweet.

Smugā„¢

I personally wouldnā€™t be surprised either way lol

Iā€™d main list one, because with Giles being replaced by Leuenberger the odds that that position on the list is injured just went up. Also weā€™ve used Carlisle in the ruck, so weā€™re down on numbers compared to last year. And we were paper thin last year.

Big Gach

Absolutely.

Underrated post.

Smugā„¢

Not disproving the long held view that he is a flog is Brian

Smugā„¢

Sure.

So, our ruck tally is unchanged, and we have bench and coach changes that may see more wanting to be played. Like this year, we hope for no injuries...

Rookie top-up?

Nah itā€™s changed. We now have a no 1 ruckman and 2 backups instead of 3 backups.

First time I had looked at his twitter. Looks like a smug git all round.

Thatā€™s actually pretty funny though.

I half feel sorry for the lions. Apart from us, they have been getting screwed more than anyone. Perhaps we could have offered loony 450k per year and Brisvegas could have payed 100k of his salary. That would have given him a second round pick!

Of the teams apart from us in the past 5 or so years I have felt most sorry for the Crows. They were absolutely gutted of their best and most promising key position players of whom you can build around. They lost Bock (at a time he was good and relatively injury free), Phil Davis (who they earmarked as a leader and a talented young CHB), Jack Gunston, and Kurt Tippett. If that equivalent happened at Essendon I would be filthy.

As I write that and reflect, I suppose we have lost Crameri, Ryder and Carlisle in consecutive years. Lets hope the compensation works in our favour.

You forgot Jenkinsā€¦

Leuey better than Giles, yes?

Maybe we can use our final pick in the ND to take a ruck. At this stage it is likely to be a pick in the 70s so itā€™s almost a rookie pick but without the need to upgrade. Iā€™m certain we will find a list spot if required.

Giles apparently got a 3yr deal to go to WC

Well played by his manager!

Smugā„¢

Not disproving the long held view that he is a flog is Brian

Might be smug but he is also correct

Big Gach

Absolutely.

Sounds like a good fit.

Big Gach

Absolutely.

Sounds like a good fit.

Given he is sudanese i am pretty sure he will being his own Big Cox to the club

Leunberger Ready For Ruck Battle

Matthew Leuenberger says he is up for the battle to take the No.1 ruck position at Essendon, having crossed to the Bombers for more opportunities in the key role.

The former Brisbane Lions big man, who moved to the Bombers as a restricted free agent in Octoberā€™s exchange period, played 14 games for the Lions last season.

The majority of those were as a key forward, with the 27-year-old unable to push Lions ruckman Stefan Martin out of the job.

Leuenberger said he had already had a few training sessions against fellow Essendon ruckman Tom Bellchambers, and the two were ready to contest the starting role.

ā€œI want to come in and fight for the spot. At the moment Iā€™ve been doing a bit of work against Tommy Bellchambers, whoā€™s fit and healthy,ā€ Leuenberger said from the Bombersā€™ training session in Healesville on Wednesday.

ā€œI like to have the mentality that him and I are going to battle it out and see what happens from there.ā€

Leuenberger, who was selected with pick No.4 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, said the Bombers presented more opportunities for him than staying at the Lions, where Martin recently re-signed for a further three years.

ā€œIt was just game opportunity. I couldnā€™t get past Stef up at Brisbane and I was playing as a key forward, and unfortunately I donā€™t really know how to play that position,ā€ Leuenberger said.

"I came down here envisaging playing more time in the ruck.

"After having discussions with Brissy about where I wanted to be and how they saw the team going forward [I thought] it might be best to see what else might be out there and Essendon were pretty interested from what I understood.

ā€œI felt it was going to be a good fit and they did too, so here I am.ā€

The Bombers were among a number of clubs interested in securing Leuenberger under the free agency rules, with the Sydney Swans and Fremantle also strongly linked.

He said moving to Melbourne was a good option for his partner and their young family, but that he also believed in the Bombersā€™ list and where it could head.

ā€œIā€™ve got optimism about where this groupā€™s at. At face value a lot of people write it off, but when you look at the list thereā€™s a good balance of age, thereā€™s some good up and coming kids and I think things can turn really quick,ā€ Leuenberger said.

ā€œThatā€™s how I saw it ā€“ that things could change quick and I was pretty keen to get into it.ā€

Injuries made for a ā€œfrustratingā€ nine-year career at the Lions for Leuenberger, but he has participated in all training so far the Bombers and is hoping for a healthy run after reaching 20 or more games just three times so far.

ā€œAt the moment Iā€™m in full training. Iā€™m not hindered; Iā€™m not monitored. Iā€™m good to go. If we were playing on the weekend Iā€™d be playing,ā€ he said.

ā€œThatā€™s the one thing I would love to have here ā€“ just a good run at it. Your footy gets so much better not only by playing week in week out but training week in week out.ā€

EDIT: I couldnā€™t find an actual thread for Matthew so I thought it was appropriate to move it here.

If a mod can find a dedicated thread, please feel free to relocate.

Leunberger Ready For Ruck Battle

Matthew Leuenberger says he is up for the battle to take the No.1 ruck position at Essendon, having crossed to the Bombers for more opportunities in the key role.

The former Brisbane Lions big man, who moved to the Bombers as a restricted free agent in Octoberā€™s exchange period, played 14 games for the Lions last season.

The majority of those were as a key forward, with the 27-year-old unable to push Lions ruckman Stefan Martin out of the job.

Leuenberger said he had already had a few training sessions against fellow Essendon ruckman Tom Bellchambers, and the two were ready to contest the starting role.

ā€œI want to come in and fight for the spot. At the moment Iā€™ve been doing a bit of work against Tommy Bellchambers, whoā€™s fit and healthy,ā€ Leuenberger said from the Bombersā€™ training session in Healesville on Wednesday.

ā€œI like to have the mentality that him and I are going to battle it out and see what happens from there.ā€

Leuenberger, who was selected with pick No.4 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, said the Bombers presented more opportunities for him than staying at the Lions, where Martin recently re-signed for a further three years.

ā€œIt was just game opportunity. I couldnā€™t get past Stef up at Brisbane and I was playing as a key forward, and unfortunately I donā€™t really know how to play that position,ā€ Leuenberger said.

"I came down here envisaging playing more time in the ruck.

"After having discussions with Brissy about where I wanted to be and how they saw the team going forward [I thought] it might be best to see what else might be out there and Essendon were pretty interested from what I understood.

ā€œI felt it was going to be a good fit and they did too, so here I am.ā€

The Bombers were among a number of clubs interested in securing Leuenberger under the free agency rules, with the Sydney Swans and Fremantle also strongly linked.

He said moving to Melbourne was a good option for his partner and their young family, but that he also believed in the Bombersā€™ list and where it could head.

ā€œIā€™ve got optimism about where this groupā€™s at. At face value a lot of people write it off, but when you look at the list thereā€™s a good balance of age, thereā€™s some good up and coming kids and I think things can turn really quick,ā€ Leuenberger said.

ā€œThatā€™s how I saw it ā€“ that things could change quick and I was pretty keen to get into it.ā€

Injuries made for a ā€œfrustratingā€ nine-year career at the Lions for Leuenberger, but he has participated in all training so far the Bombers and is hoping for a healthy run after reaching 20 or more games just three times so far.

ā€œAt the moment Iā€™m in full training. Iā€™m not hindered; Iā€™m not monitored. Iā€™m good to go. If we were playing on the weekend Iā€™d be playing,ā€ he said.

ā€œThatā€™s the one thing I would love to have here ā€“ just a good run at it. Your footy gets so much better not only by playing week in week out but training week in week out.ā€

EDIT: I couldnā€™t find an actual thread for Matthew so I thought it was appropriate to move it here.

If a mod can find a dedicated thread, please feel free to relocate.

I expect smack to be no.1 ruck by round 3 after both Loony and Belly have broken down again.