Recruitment of a ruckman

I’m totally on board the Sammy Draper Perambulator (the favoured mode of transport for baby bombers), and it certainly looks like we have got a prodigy on our hands, but given TBC is 28 and Leuey is 29, and Smack is a multipurpose back up at best, we reasonably need to look at finding 1 more ruck for our creche (given it is reasonable to expect it to take 4 years to develop a ruck to a reasonable level, with a view to getting a player who can play a key position as well, or who at least is competent going forward and kicking goals.

So many sides will want to poach these players, but we have a great history of finding our own and developing them, and as a result getting some of the best. Eg: TBC, Judas, David Hille, Alessio, Fish, Barnes, Simon and Justin.

Historically this has been where we have leaked some of our best quality players as a result of too much quality in this area (think Jenkins, Judas, Fish, Barnes and Justin). Considering it is difficult to get this right given the small number of slots where you can afford to carry and develop these players we do very well.

1 Like

Nice post SC

1 Like

I agree. I reckon by the start of next season Draper will be ahead of McKernan, so we may as well delist Smack now.
Sounds like we’re getting a Rookie B ruck so he’s a free hit we can hope develops by the time TBC and Looney are gone.
But I reckon we still need to get a replacement for Smack who could play KPP or ruck. Now is the time to replace Smack with a youngster, if they’re confident Draper is good enough to be the 3rd string.

I’m sure that one of the prominent phantom drafters recently had us taking Hayes with our first pick.

He fits the need for a combined KPF/RUCK, but would infuriate many Blitzers that want a midfielder first up.

If we take a tall with our first pick then the coaches must be very confident 2 or 3 of our youngsters are going to be guns very soon.

Now I may appear to contradict myself, but I hadn’t considered our category B rookie in the pipeline. What you say aboods all makes sense, except I’m not sure Sammy’s body even could be sufficiently ready to take on the biggest AFL boys week in week out. So while Smack is not a top 2 ruck prospect, as a third stringer he’s not bad.

It will be a challenge when our new very raw category B rookie ruck prospect comes into the side and we don’t want to be caught out like we were in 2016 with too many players who can’t play a role besides ruck in the side. Having Jamar, Gach, Sam Michael and Smack in the VFL (with Smack having an injury hampered year last year in particular) this was problematic for the balance of the VFL side and trying to keep all these players in some sort of form, with all of them having their challenges (mostly to do with form and fitness, Gach to learn the craft, which didn’t work out).

Hopefully next year we can keep Leuey in form as one of our top 2 ruckmen, TBC in the AFL as things stand, Smack mainly forward, Sammy also hopefully developing as a KPP or at least a serious goal kicking ruck and we will be hoping for some prodigious development from our anonymous 6’ 8" ex cricketer and sometimes soccer player.

It would seem like Sammy might be up to being 3rd string, but if he got stuck carrying the ruck by himself, like Smack did in 2015, I think it would be too big an ask for a young body who hopefully will be in a state of punishment by his first ever full pre-season in an effort to begin to create a beast of untold strength and astounding capacities.

Yep, I confess to this.

1 Like

I would be surprised if McKernan is on the list next year. And I feel a little sad saying that, because his best footy is great to watch. But I think the list balance pushes him out.

TBC and Leuenberger are the two primary ruck options. Since we only play a one ruck set-up, there is little room for others except through injury.

Sam Draper has proven himself to be adequate at VFL level. We have quality blitz rumour that we also have another rookie ruckman signed up.

As such, that is sufficient in my view.

1 AFL quality ruckman
1 back-up AFL quality ruckman
1 developing ruckman suitable for VFL
1 kid who maybe one day might think about being a ruckman

It would not shock me to see TBC and Mckernan as the 2nd stringer next year. Draper getting some games for development and a project ruckmen recruited.

It seems there are a couple of clubs crying out for a mobile tap ruckmen and we have a quality one playing reserves. The dogs could use one next year and what I watched last night, GWS is need of one badly.

Package Luey up with a first rounder and you never know what we may receive in return.

4 Likes

Concur.
T-Bell
Joe. (Let’s not kid ourselves, here. He’s a part-time ruckman).
Draper
Fletch 3: The Fletchening, next year.

We don’t need to spend a high draft pick on another ruck, we need to make a decision between Loony and Smack. And if Loony gets us more than Smack at the trade table (ie: anything) then I’d be fine with that call.

3 Likes

Hope Fletch 3 is as good as the last one: Look Who’s Fletch Too.

5 Likes

Not bad.
Electric Boogaloo (Electric Fletchaloo?), or Even Fletchier would also have been acceptable.

1 Like

No way. I reckon the competition for the number 1 ruck mantle has been great for Bellcho who has risen to a new level. We have two decent rucks, let’s keep that please. McKernan as a back up to an injury prone Bellcho is not an appealing prospect. Reassess when Draper is ready.

1 Like

Fair point. But I’ll put it this way,
Luey and our first and second pick for Josh Kelly.
Or Luey and our 2nd round pick for Stringer.
Or Luey dominating for our reserves for 70% of the year.

I’d take either of the first two.

Too Fletch, Too Fletchious?

1 Like

Technically he’d be The Fletch and the Furious: Calder Drift

2 Likes

Yeh will be adding one Category B List Ruckman ex cricketer.

1 AFL quality ruckman - Bellchambers
1 back-up AFL quality ruckman - McKernan
1 developing ruckman suitable for VFL - Draper
1 kid who maybe one day might think about being a ruckman - Cricketer Cat B list Kid.

Also have Daniher and Fletcher Junior. for support.
Not sure id like Daniher to ruck a whole game, might ruin his cahnce for the coleman next year.

also should look at anyone tall from our Tiwi Zone, would be great to find another paddy Ryder.

Former keeper?

Fixed

2 Likes

For me it would surely have to be Fletchling, a young bomber learning to fly.

As for the SMack V Loony debate? SMack is not an AFL class ruckman, he is at best a battler, and an inconsistent one at that.

2 Likes