Recruitment of a ruckman

Chol from Richmond has been cut, he’s and interesting prospect that would be worth a punt. Or at least to extract from Punt Rd.

McClarty from the pies hasn’t got a contract yet would be more in the Smack mould of pinch hitting KPP with a good footy IQ

both young and could develop alongside Draper and not hold him back.

Would certainly make the VFL call more interesting…

No.

1 Like

So @aceman your thoughts on Sweet from North Adelaide, who played the SANFL gf? Obviously would be a development project rather than a Leuenberger replacement, but I’m thinking back Draper in as the Leuenberger replacement.

I don’t see much in him TBH, not really impressed by him

1 Like

Cheers.

No idea about these sort of guys, just been looking for some “overlooked” kids who’d made progress. From highlights I thought he does something to work with.

How about Darcy Fort, a bit older, and better performed at SANFL level? Can he make the step up?

Fort is class and should definitely be on an AFL list

2 Likes

Don’t forget scrawny Strachany…he received a Rookie Combine invite…we might have been one of the teams to nominate him?

1 Like

Clarke would be very handy- he has presence- big and strong and mobile

2 Likes

Big and strong? Mobile and athletic sure, but he’s still a stick figure.

4 Likes

We need a mature back up to replace Burger
Clarke. Would be good

3 Likes

I sure hope we don’t bring in a ruck for 1 year and then delist him only to look for another 1 next year. Ideally it would be great to get 1 that gives us a few years of service.

I like the idea of recruiting Clarke. But maybe he’d refuse to come to Melbourne if his role was as a 1 year backup for Bellchambers and babysitter for Draper. I’m not sure on what WAFL players get paid, but wouldn’t he get paid more as a WAFL star than being on the bottom of the EFC food chain?

2 Likes

Watching old Billy Stateleaguer get torn apart by a good ruckman doesn’t sound any better than watching Stewart or McKernan get torn apart by a good ruckman, and they have the advantage of already being on our list.

1 Like

I doubt he’d get more in the wafl

He is from Melbourne and the salary cap for a WAFL team is what an average AFL player makes

1 Like

Ok well that solves that query then. I’m all for drafting Clarke to be the 3rd ruckman in line. I’d give Draper second spot until he proves that he’s not ready. You’d like to give Draper some games…but if he stinks it up at AFL, or we think it’s hurting his development, then it’s be nice to have Clarke as that backup.

And you reckon Clarke would go for that do you?

If no-one else has a better offer, why wouldn’t he?

Do you think we’re more likely to go with a youngster (maybe 20 ish) to try and develop and compete with Draper?

Wouldn’t Clarke have to go into draft anyway?

As such what he wants and where he fits in pecking order of the side who selects him irrelevant.

Oh yes, probably